New owner of p1000 differential question

lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have a new to me 2018 p1k with about 4700 miles on it. I understand that when you place the transmission in park, regardless of lever position, it will place the rear differential in lock. My question is then I start the machine back up, I'm in turf mode, and place the machine in gear(forward or reverse) and go the start moving I will feel and hear the rear diff pop\clunk and learch when I make a turn or back up and turn around. After that the machine runs and drives normally. Is that the rear diff unlocking and is it "normal" or do I need to get it checked out? I'm on asphalt at the moment. Hope that makes sense

Reactions: TxDoc
lukpy8810

lukpy8810

Oct 10, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cables in the box under the rear floorboard need to be adjusted most likely.
Makes sense I've been in there but probably need to do some more fine tuning. Is it normal it to be kinda lurchy at low speeds in turf more?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Makes sense I've been in there but probably need to do some more fine tuning. Is it normal it to be kinda lurchy at low speeds in turf more?
Not normal for mine. Here's a link to video you can watch. The adjustment can be very finicky.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't confuse low speed throttle lurtchiness with locker adjustment. All the P1000s have ill designed throttle geometry that causes the vehicle to lurch in certain conditions. However the pop/clunk from the rear diff is caused by a misadjusted rear locker cable. Once adjusted properly no more clunk

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
it can be lurch ee in all modes - is turf mode more lurch ee than others

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My P1K5 has been sticking in 2WD lock lately. Gonna do the diff adjustment today. That video is thorough!

Reactions: WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!