P1000 Cheap way to monitor your water temperature

J

johndduvall

Jul 22, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't want to open up my cooling system to install a water temp gauge so I ordered a couple of digital water temp gauges from Amazon for $4.49 delivered to the door. I zip-tied one gauge sensor to the radiator inlet elbow and the other gauge's sensor to the radiator bottom tank outlet elbow. Then both were wrapped with a small piece of heat shielding.

The gauges were supposed to indicate up to 230 F. but they only go to 199 F and then they indicate "HHH". However, during regular trail riding, the temp stayed below 199 F anyway. Only when I let the engine idle for over 5 minutes did it go above 199 F. Haven't tried climbing a steep hill yet either. The gauge displays were attached to the dash with 3M Dual Lock tape on the driver and passenger sides. I know this is not the most accurate way of determining your water temperature but it comes very close. The differential temp between the top and bottom of the radiator was around 10 degrees which is normal and indicates that the radiator is doing its job.

Tempgauges Tempgauge1 Tempgauge2

Reactions: Prntckt

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!