Reverse lights the hard way

scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay new member, first post here goes. Hope it helps someone.
So I’m coming over from an old Polaris ranger I picked up used. Since the Polaris wasn’t wroth a whole lot of time and money I installed accessories the quick and dirty way. I decided I wanted to treat this machine better than the old one and do things as right as possible.
Accessory number one was a 5 panel rearview because I hated the bubble mirror in the old machine
But this post is accessory number 2. Back up lights. So, I wanted the OE hard back panel so I had to go with the Honda roof as well. With both on they match up to one another so well it’s almost like it was made to fit together. The problem is I didn’t have any access to the roll cage from outside the machine, so normal install wasn’t possible.
I got the club store dual back up light kits and this is how I did it with the factory roof and hard back panel.

IMG 1828
Note the two hex cap bolts. I removed them and the brackets from the kit would fit there but the roof interfered.

IMG 1827
I needed a spacer to go between the roof and the bracket or longer brackets. I figured spacers was the way to go. So, I got a plastic cutting board from the store and cut it into roughly 1” x 1 1/2” rectangles. I marked and drilled slightly oversized holes (5/15” ish) and installed two blocks behind each bracket and bolted them in with some m6x 40 bolts and installed the lights back into the brackets

IMG 1829IMG 1830
All I had to do was tuck wires and run them down to the plug for the back up alarm

IMG 1833

Tools
4mm Allen
10mm socket
8 mm socket and nut driver
Something to cut the cutting board (I used a sliding miter saw)
Drill bit if the appropriate size (I made my holes a little sloppy to aid reinstall)
Plus the normal stuff pliers, screwdriver and etc

Thanks for the great ideas and a great product

Last edited:
Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay new member, first post here goes. Hope it helps someone.
So I’m coming over from an old Polaris ranger I picked up used. Since the Polaris wasn’t wroth a whole lot of time and money I installed accessories the quick and dirty way. I decided I wanted to treat this machine better than the old one and do things as right as possible.
Accessory number one was a 5 panel rearview because I hated the bubble mirror in the old machine
But this post is accessory number 2. Back up lights. So, I wanted the OE hard back panel so I had to go with the Honda roof as well. With both on they match up to one another so well it’s almost like it was made to fit together. The problem is I didn’t have any access to the roll cage from outside the machine, so normal install wasn’t possible.
I got the club store dual back up light kits and this is how I did it with the factory roof and hard back panel.

View attachment 417708
Note the two hex cap bolts. I removed them and the brackets from the kit would fit there but the roof interfered.

View attachment 417709
I needed a spacer to go between the roof and the bracket or longer brackets. I figured spacers was the way to go. So, I got a plastic cutting board from the store and cut it into roughly 1” x 1 1/2” rectangles. I marked and drilled slightly oversized holes (5/15” ish) and installed two blocks behind each bracket and bolted them in with some m6x 40 bolts and installed the lights back into the brackets

View attachment 417710View attachment 417711
All I had to do was tuck wires and run them down to the plug for the back up alarm

View attachment 417712

Tools
4mm Allen
10mm socket
8 mm socket and nut driver
Something to cut the cutting board (I used a sliding miter saw)
Drill bit if the appropriate size (I made my holes a little sloppy to aid reinstall)
Plus the normal stuff pliers, screwdriver and etc

Thanks for the great ideas and a great product
I also have a 3 seater with same roof and rear panel. I purchased the kit long ago but never installed. Had been waiting to finish my rear bed rack, but may go ahead with light install as you have done. Appreciate sharing what you did and pics.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks good. That’s where I mounted mine. They are high and dry so they stay pretty clean but do cast a bit of a shadow rt behind the bed

IMG 0052

scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I also have a 3 seater with same roof and rear panel. I purchased the kit long ago but never installed. Had been waiting to finish my rear bed rack, but may go ahead with light install as you have done. Appreciate sharing what you did and pics.
I was also thinking of trimming a couple inches off of the roof where the interference was and tapering it down diagonally to the corner to make it look facktree

scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also if anyone is 3D printing they maybe could sell a few of these here and there

Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pro tip: DO NOT use your wife’s cutting board 😅🤣😅
You should have seen my wife when she walked in the kitchen and I had a bunch of chrome parts off my Harley stacked in the dishwasher. She just looked at me "So, whatcha doing there honey?" I was caught like a rat in a trap. Just said "Oh nothing..." as I was collecting my parts and heading back to the garage.

scttwlsn45

scttwlsn45

Supporting Member
Feb 8, 2024
Farmington, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You should have seen my wife when she walked in the kitchen and I had a bunch of chrome parts off my Harley stacked in the dishwasher. She just looked at me "So, whatcha doing there honey?" I was caught like a rat in a trap. Just said "Oh nothing..." as I was collecting my parts and heading back to the garage.
Hilarious. “Can you believe I was just getting ready to load the dishwasher and found all this junk in here? Must have been some kind of prank” 😂😂😂

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!