P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 Reverse Light Wiring

R

reety82

Nov 18, 2022
Morgantown, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had hard time finding anything on wiring a reverse light for the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I have a 2022 Trail model but believe the wiring is the same across all the model years to date. The best I came up with was finding that most people use the pre-wired plug for a backup alarm which makes sense. I also wanted to wire my light to an auxbeam controller so I could both control the light manually when needed and have it light up when in reverse. Below is my journey in hopes that others find it useful and save them some time.

I did use the pre-wired plug for a reverse beeper. The Honda SXS store has a pigtail male plug for the pre-wired female which I ordered.

I used the LED Light bar from Rough Country SKU 92006. Highly recommend this light as the mounts secure to the cage by loosening the two bolts on either side.

I used a generic 2 prong plug from the auto parts store to wire the ground from the light to pin 30 and ground from reverse gear to pin 87a. It could be simplified if someone wanted to cut off the pre-wired plug and use a 3 prong plug from the auto parts store instead. I considered this, but ultimately chose to do it the way I did because I wanted to do all of my soldering in the comfort of my home rather than climbing under the machine trying to tie everything together.

The auxbeam controller is normally grounded. For this reason, I needed a relay inline to switch to ground. I first started with a 4 pin really. Pin 85 was positive from the controller, 86 ground to controller, 87 ground (I used controller ground), 30 ground to light. This setup works, but I found the machine would kick a transmission fault when the light was controlled by the controller. The controller was sending a ground signal to a sensor that was "tricking" the machine into thinking it was in reverse. The only way to clear the fault was to turn the machine off.

From here I realized I needed a 5 pin relay in place of the 4. The 5 pin relay was setup with 85 positive from controller, 86 ground to controller, 87 ground (I used controller ground), 30 going to light bar, 87a going to reverse gear. This setup will keep the ground circuit always for the reverse gear but interrupt this ground when the auxbeam controller is used to switch the light on. This prevents the transmission fault from the machine thinking it is in reverse bc the sensor is no longer seeing a completed circuit when the auxbeam controller is used.

Hopes this helps anyone looking to wire a light in the same configuration.

Reactions: ODAMO
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Reety82.
It's unfortunate that the stock wiring requires that many workaround steps to use both a gear-on and switch-on set up.
You'd think that with so many states going street-legal, the manufacturers would include a stock backup light (that you could piggyback for more lumens if wanted).
The SXS store adapter is the best way to go for gear-on setups.
I opted for a simple manual switch only on my 2021 P1K5 because 90% of my use is for backing up while plowing snow at night, and the other 10% is as a bed light. I don't mind the always-on rear light while I'm plowing and of course I wouldn't want it in reverse whilst standing behind rummaging through the cooler to find my beverage of choice.

I mounted one Bunker Indust. side-shooter light pod on the ROPS under the roof. This photo's not great because it's daytime, but the light covers the bed, 20' behind the machine, and well off both sides.

Works for me and setting it up for your own use is the fun in it all. ✌️

Reactions: toddvdh and ODAMO
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. It can get confusing when altering the backup alarm port for other needs. The ground trigger throws many off for a loop.

I haven't thought about making a AUXBeam version of our worklight trigger kit.
I do think it can be done without a relay for a 2 mode option. ON and AUTO BACKUP.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is going to be a dumb question I asssume. I am installing a backup light system using the HondaSxS lights (2) and pigtail. i am doing my own wiring and would like to add a 3 way SPDT switch (on-off-on) on the negative wire to an alternate ground so I can use the light for work lights, the backup feature or off. Do I need a diode? I don’t know what back feed is.
TIA

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do need a diode? I don’t know what back feed is.
You may.
We don't use a diode on our work light kits because we isolate it at the switch.

Backfeed is sending a power signal backward in the wire thus affecting things.
Ex, if you backfeed the ground, your display gear position may go blank.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
the Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I have a 2022 Trail model

I used the LED Light bar from Rough Country SKU 92006. Highly recommend this light as the mounts secure to the cage by loosening the two bolts on either side.
All this and no pics! Infact, no pics from u at all yet! Would be nice to see ur rig and what you've done.
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You may.
We don't use a diode on our work light kits because we isolate it at the switch.

Backfeed is sending a power signal backward in the wire thus affecting things.
Ex, if you backfeed the ground, your display gear position may go blank.
Thank you for your response.
Will a backfeed cause permenant damage or can I try it and if it causes a fault, disconnect it and add a diode?

howC614

howC614

Aug 11, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. It can get confusing when altering the backup alarm port for other needs. The ground trigger throws many off for a loop.

I haven't thought about making a AUXBeam version of our worklight trigger kit.
I do think it can be done without a relay for a 2 mode option. ON and AUTO BACKUP.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Will you/can you make a reverse work light trigger for the auxbeam? I am currently running into this issue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!