P1000 Checked out a 16 Pioneer 1000-5d today

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi all,

Just joined the forum due to my quest to find a UTV SxS that can haul at least 3 for Upper Peninsula Michigan & Norther WI trail use and home hauling on my land. My brother has a 2016 Razor 900-4 and my Son and I have gone on some trail excursions with him and had a great time. Never any downtime, and only one delayed start that worked out fine. The Razor 900-4 was a fun machine but didn't really like the noise (ears ringing) after over 100miles one day. My Son and I and my wife started looking for a SxS and my internet research (for what that's worth) led me to the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. This UTV, SxS 4-wheeler (sorry can't call this a bike) seems to meet our needs for 3 passengers plus some possible hauling. We can haul in the bed plus the 3 of us, or on the trail use one of the back seats plus 2 in the front, or even bring 2 more friends. The transmission DCT seems like a better system than belts. And it's a Honda which I interpret as reliable.

So I found a Dealer nearby that has a Silver one that looks very nice and went for a test drive. The test drive was limited to a large series of pavement parking lots so I didn't get it on an dirt runs. My first impression was that the motor was much quieter than the Razor 900-4. The wheelbase is about a foot shorter and the seating is more upright. I started in turf mode and drove it around a bit and heard the whine sound of the tranny which wasn't too bad, but the motor was pretty silent. I stepped on it and got it to about 40mph and it really jumped. the brakes seemed pretty mediocre but did the job. The ride and comfort was pretty good for my 6-2" lean size. My son (14) sat in the back and said there was more room in the razor but it was pretty comfortable. I wasn't sure I'd like the paddle shifters so I put it in manual and tried the paddles and I really liked the control. I liked being able to downshift and enhance the braking. (big plus for me). So the Pioneer stands and seats more upright and taller than the razor. It was comfortable, but not as comfortable as the individual buckets on the Razor. Power seemed really strong when I got on it, especially in sport mode from a near stop in Auto. I did take a run at a curb they had in the parking area and it went right over without issue but that's the limit to my suspension test. I drove around for about 15 minutes and checked turf, 2wd, 4wd, and 4 locked (gravel) in a straight line and the shifting worked great. You do have to stop to shift (not on the fly like the razor) but you do have locked 4wd which the razor does not. I did notice some heat coming up (it was in the mid 80s and humid) but no different (in terms of heat coming through) than the Razor heat I felt coming from the firewall in the front seats. I would think the manufacturers could insulate this issue on either SxS if they gave it some thought and that would solve a lot of summer trail rider concerns.

So overall I really liked the P1000-5d and am considering the 2016 and will decide in a couple days. I'm somewhat on the fence waiting for the 2017 and seeing if they make some improvements that would be worth waiting for. So hopefully looking forward to joining this group as an owner and appreciate all the postings that have helped me learn.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Rebmo welcome to the club. The P1K is a very versatile machine, the gear whining you hear tones down with break in, even more so after changing differential fluid.

It will serve you well, there is a way to tame the heat with a little fix and insulation and adding a marine 4" bilge fan to blow heat from headers back and away instead of rising up to the seat. Like here:

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Both the insulation and fan cost approx $50 combined. Will not know until November on what changes if any are in store for the 2017 P1K.

Reactions: joeymt33
R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the welcome. Wow, somehow in my scanning the threads I missed your build. Great mods and write ups.

One question I had with the Dealer today, was, Does the bed extender flip up and allow the tailgate to close with the rear seats up?

Looking at your pics, it appears that there is not enough room for the bed extender to flip up unless the rear seats are down. The dealer said, "It must flip up with the seats up, otherwise what would be the purpose". However, The extension is really needed when the seats are up. The dealer did say he was speculating and was spot on on many other items, but I think it does make some sense that the extender needs the seats down to fold up.

If the heat issue is solvable, I may jump on a 2016 since they are really priced nicely and I found a Silver one which I really liked. I'll give it a day to think it over and may put some $$ down on Monday. Thanks for the info on the gear whine too. It wasn't too bad when I test drove it but one of the few things that annoyed me about driving it. Knowing it will subside as it breaks in really helps.

I'll keep reading up on your build thread, learning lots already.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the welcome. Wow, somehow in my scanning the threads I missed your build. Great mods and write ups.

One question I had with the Dealer today, was, Does the bed extender flip up and allow the tailgate to close with the rear seats up?

Looking at your pics, it appears that there is not enough room for the bed extender to flip up unless the rear seats are down. The dealer said, "It must flip up with the seats up, otherwise what would be the purpose". However, The extension is really needed when the seats are up. The dealer did say he was speculating and was spot on on many other items, but I think it does make some sense that the extender needs the seats down to fold up.

If the heat issue is solvable, I may jump on a 2016 since they are really priced nicely and I found a Silver one which I really liked. I'll give it a day to think it over and may put some $$ down on Monday. Thanks for the info on the gear whine too. It wasn't too bad when I test drove it but one of the few things that annoyed me about driving it. Knowing it will subside as it breaks in really helps.

I'll keep reading up on your build thread, learning lots already.

The bed extender will flip in and lay flat with rear seats down only to close tailgate. It is quick detach as you rotate it up approximately 120 degrees and it lifts right out of the brackets, much like a pickup tailgait comes off.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Eau Claire Wisconsin! You will love the p1k5! Hope to see you on the trail some time!

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey welcome to the club Rebmo.

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the welcomes, seems like a great active group. Most of my 4-wheeling will be done in UP Michigan and some in Wisconsin.

Has anyone had this "product update campaign notice"?

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 Engine Balancer Driven Gear | PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN

I asked the dealer and they said they do all recalls and service bulletins before delivery and want to make sure so I'm not bringing it back or worse a failure due to them not doing it.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I haven't heard anything about it, and haven't had a single issue with mine. We will be in Hurley next month, right in your back yard

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, that's really close. My Brother has a place near Ironwood. Some of the trails in that area were pretty washed out about 3 weeks back due to some heavy downpours and flooding especially in the western UP. In some of the way back areas there were trees down and we had some pretty challenging trail blazing to get around. Even with a chainsaw it would have been hours. The State had done a lot of work filling some of the washed out trails and cutting downed trees so hopefully most of the cleanup is done when you get there. Great area. UP road rights are great, Wisconsin is a bit restrictive.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wisconsin is still a ton better than my home state. Illinois has them completely banned

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club! Good luck with the purchase, if you liked it in the parking lot test drive you will defenatly love it after it get about a 100 miles or so on it when it breaks in, it get quiter,shifts smoother, breaks grab better, suspension gets softer etc.

Reactions: moparornocar
R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm still kicking around 2016 or wait for 2017. Also, thinking about Storage. My Lund fishing boat goes in the garage for winter, and my sled trailer stays outside, I don't have indoor storage and wondering what thoughts you guys have on storing outside on a flatbed aluminum trailer with a cover? My old boat was fine covered. We live in a pretty safe country area but you never know. I have a shed for my 2 Garden Tractors, and pretty much out of indoor storage. I could have my wife park outside, nah I didn't really type that did I???

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Squeeze some extra room in the garage or maybe pick up a cheap enclosed trailer. Critters like wires. Worst case put it in a storage unit until spring. We ride all year here so it stays in the garage

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'll be riding all times of year, just need to store at home. I've been looking at enclosed trailers and they are all 6' or 6'-1" clearance so far. I found one that's 6'-6" but don't want a 16' trailer. If anyone has suggestions on a 12x7 or 14x7 enclosed trailer available in the midwest with headroom for a Pioneer 1000-5 please let me know.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Order one with extended height. That'll get you where you need to be.

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, I was afraid I'd have to go with a enclosed trailer but that is what really makes sense at this point. I did some searching and found a 12x7 enclosed with a 6'-6" opening for the door and 7' height inside for $3200 plus tax. It's a single axle and would have to add a spare for probably another $125.

Specs:
7x12 with 7' interior height and ramp door. It has a 3500# axle with electric brakes and breakaway battery.
Comes with a side access door, 15" radial tires, LED lights, 3/4" floor and 3/8" plywood walls.
Door opening is 78" tall by 74-3/4" wide.
It also comes with a 3-year manufacturer's warranty.

That seems about the best I could find for a quality enclosed trailer. You can get it in many different colors. I'd probably go with Charcoal. Hopefully the parachute effect would not be too bad. It's a V-nose, but 7ft interior is a pretty tall trailer.

Now the only problem is it puts me right on the fence $$ wise and I'm considering waiting for a 2017 and putting some more $ aside for a windshield, roof, winch, etc.. The enclosed trailer cost ate into my funds for the accessories.

So we'll see, there's lots of 2016s out there yet and I'll see if I can get a better deal too. No hurry so that's good, but would be fun to do some runs up in the UP this fall yet.............

Thanks for the thoughts on the trailer.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Someone said they had 16 model 5 seater deluxes out there for 14 and change somewhere in KY, road trip maybe?

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any idea what dealer? I'm going to haggle a little bit with the dealer I'm working with in SE WI and if they can get in that range ?? otherwise we'll see what the 2017s bring. My wife would really like buckets up front, and so would I.

R

Rebmo

Aug 17, 2016
SE Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I emailed the KY dealer to possibly work a deal. Does anyone have any experience buying out of state but getting service from a nearby dealer? I'm concerned that not buying from them might not result in the best warranty service if needed.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you buy out of state, then register in your state you pay tax. If you buy out of state and want warranty service from near by dealer they should give you the same warranty service. If they don't they are just cry babies, because you didn't buy from them. Remember you are holding a $17k hand they better fix it. The sales man is out of it at that point if you need warranty service.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!