P1000 Clean My Spark Arrestor

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cleaned my spark arrestor the other day for the third time. Boy was it dirty. Good thing Honda suggest cleaning it so often. I think my machine would have only ran another 50,000 to 100,000 miles without cleaning it. Going by this logic, I think that maybe the machine could also go 3,000 to 5,000 miles on oil changes, specially when running synthetic oil. Question, has anyone on hear had a dirty spark arrestor when their machine was running good? Just wondering.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is probably a law somewhere (USDA) that requires having the equipment and instructions in the owners manual.
I'll bet the engineer putting the drain on the '22 P1K was looking more at where the water would collect if you drowned it than where carbon would build up. (note: it doesn't make the P1K engine any more water tolerant so try not to drown it).

Edit: change you oil on the manual schedule.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Edit: change you oil on the manual schedule.
I agree. Honda has a team of engineers way smarter than me that test for these intervals.
I change the engine oil on my truck when it tells me to for the same reason. Ford has a team of engineers doing the same testing.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's what I figured. If you do a lot of mudding you need to check it. I do change oil on "Q" and I run synthetic. But, I also know that manufactures always allow a lot of lead way with things like, hauling capacity, etc. I just think that 1200 miles per oil change with synthetic oil is a little much. When I drained the oil it was clean as a pin. I know my truck also says change the oil when ready but it does give two options as to how the truck is operated. It really doesn't make much since because the computer tells you when to change it so you really don't have an option. I run the 5W-40 Motorcraft synthetic in my truck and the computer tells me to change it about between 5-6,000 miles. Just changed it last week. At RockAuto.com, cheapest place to get the oil and filter, $232.00. Now that hurts. Use to do it for $140.00. Here's the real fun part, the Honda cost more to change oil in than the truck if you go by miles. Double hurt.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Neohio I'm not so sure about how smart the team of honda engineers is sometimes, I'll just have to take your word on that.
One caveat with changing oil is the manual says has a schedule for miles (some times severe duty or not) and for time.
Don't neglect the time (or get out and ride more).

I have a 2004 Chevy truck with 140k on the clock.
It dose not drive the 10k mile change interval in the 1 year max time frame.
I change oil over the Christmas break because its easy to remember, and I have time off.

@Bighat maybe I haven't been paying attention to the cost but the maintenance recommendations are a matched set.
As I recall the oil recommendation is for dino oil.
So the engine life is matched to changing the recommended oil at the recommended miles.
Any deviation is an added cost (more/better/sooner not the other way around).

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have no idea how you could get mud in a spark arrestor.Hopefully no one will say this is normal.
I think you have to submerge the tip of the muffler and let the engine die. I've only heard this because I haven't experienced it. When I installed the new tip on mine, I threw mine away, uh I mean, permanently cleaned mine.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have no idea how you could get mud in a spark arrestor.Hopefully no one will say this is normal.
I try to avoid deep mud when possible but I have had the muffler under water numerous times. I guess it's died a time or 2 while submerged and allowed some mud in the muffler.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Neohio I'm not so sure about how smart the team of honda engineers is sometimes, I'll just have to take your word on that.
One caveat with changing oil is the manual says has a schedule for miles (some times severe duty or not) and for time.
Don't neglect the time (or get out and ride more).

I have a 2004 Chevy truck with 140k on the clock.
It dose not drive the 10k mile change interval in the 1 year max time frame.
I change oil over the Christmas break because its easy to remember, and I have time off.

@Bighat maybe I haven't been paying attention to the cost but the maintenance recommendations are a matched set.
As I recall the oil recommendation is for dino oil.
So the engine life is matched to changing the recommended oil at the recommended miles.
Any deviation is an added cost (more/better/sooner not the other way around).
Engineers suck.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s a spark arrestor?! 🤷‍♂️

lol 😂

2500 miles on mine…ain’t been touched yet. If I touch it I know I’ll end up installing my custom conduit stacks with flappers idea!

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There’s a spark arrestor?! 🤷‍♂️

lol 😂

2500 miles on mine…ain’t been touched yet. If I touch it I know I’ll end up installing my custom conduit stacks with flappers idea!
that would be cool...through the bed. Maybe even consider a Cummins (obviously nomo) swap. You could roll hella coal at RRB!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I try to avoid deep mud when possible but I have had the muffler under water numerous times. I guess it's died a time or 2 while submerged and allowed some mud in the muffler.
Mine’s never killed when submerged even in nasty mud around here, but it was completely caked in baked on mud. I threw it in the trash and installed one of those cheap Wolverine exhaust tips when I took it out. Think I’ve still got that exhaust tip if someone wants it

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine’s never killed when submerged even in nasty mud around here, but it was completely caked in baked on mud. I threw it in the trash and installed one of those cheap Wolverine exhaust tips when I took it out. Think I’ve still got that exhaust tip if someone wants it
Just the tip?????

Man I love marg Thursday’s!!! lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!