P1000 My thoughts on the Rough Country shocks (for what it's worth)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
After having my Pioneer 1000-5 for almost 4 years and doing a fair amount of upgrading, I became even more frustrated with the suspension - most notably the front. The suspension was never "good" with the factory shocks on a deluxe model, but after adding the heavy JEI bumper, extra battery, heavy Warn Axon winch, and several other accessories that added weight to the machine, the shocks were just not up to the task of dampening. Bottoming out the front shocks became a daily occurrence. Keep in mind that I am not an aggressive rider. I've never bent a tie rod or an a-arm or broken anything in over 4000 miles. Also, since I have bought the machine I have gone through some life changes that have really changed my priorities when it comes to discretionary spending (i.e. upgrading the Pioneer)

. I'm not doing much recreational riding anymore. My Pioneer is primarily a work machine. Hauling wood and hunting equipment. Planting trees, property maintenance, food plots, plowing snow - almost daily I'm using the Pioneer for these tasks.

Memorial day weekend I did get to go camping at a riding resort and put 80 or so miles on the Pioneer just riding the trails for fun. This was the last straw. Constant bottoming out, even riding conservatively.

Enter the Rough Country shocks. For at least a couple years I have been wanting to upgrade the shocks but just couldn't swallow the price tag. But for $370 out the door I decided to take a shot just on the front shocks. Purchased them locally from a Rough Country dealer and had them installed quickly and easily.

Boom - Immediately got approximately 3" higher at the front end. Have not even come close to bottoming out since installing. Does it ride like a cadillac? No. But it does actually have some damping now. The front absorbs bumps and the rear end bounces up afterward since there is pretty much zero rebound control from the factory shocks. I did not mess with the preload - I installed them how they were set from the factory. I will probably back it off a bit because there is very little sag as it sits - maybe 1/2" if I had to guess.

I know this isn't very scientific as I didn't take measurements or anything. But if there is anyone out there like me that is looking to solve the weak front shocks and drastically reduce bottoming out (for not a ton of $$$), these shocks are the ticket. It was money well spent and I don't have to do mental gymnastics to justify the purchase as it actually solved some legitimate issues I had. I'm sure it will also help drastically when I have to put the snow plow back on.

If anything changes, I will update

Hope this helps!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super Awesome! It's great to see reviews on the rough country products. If you ever want to take it a step further I am very confident you can swap the coils on the rough country shocks for a different coil rate. The last time I priced coils you could basically do a pair for $100.

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
3" of lift by swapping front shocks using preload set at the RC factory and OEM axles?
the front end was sagging severely with the factory shocks. the RC shocks are the exact same length as factory so it is not over angling the cv's. It's not a lift, I just gained 3" by having more spring rate and preload compared to the factory shocks (that have no way to add preload)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
the front end was sagging severely with the factory shocks. the RC shocks are the exact same length as factory so it is not over angling the cv's. It's not a lift, I just gained 3" by having more spring rate and preload compared to the factory shocks (that have no way to add preload)
3" over where it was sagging? Because 3" over factory height will bind up those OEM axles really quickly.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
3" over where it was sagging? Because 3" over factory height will bind up those OEM axles really quickly.
3" compared to where it sat before. Again, the shocks are the exact same length as the stock shocks so it cannot extend more than if you just picked the front end off the ground with the stock shocks. It's not a "lift", the shocks just have stronger springs and adjustable preload. Basically they just eliminate the excessive sag that the stock shocks provided.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They haven't been responding to messages, are they still in business?
I warned you didnt I ;)

As for them still being i business? I have know ida and it wouldnt surprise me and frankly I could care less if the kraken came up and took them away. Your getting the same $hit they always do to customers. Just use the search up top and youll see.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!