P1000 Rough Country Shocks

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is stock height, on 28’s with Fox Shocks. It’s taken me everywhere I have wanted to go and the ride is pretty good for what it is. Gotta know your limitations and accept what you got! View attachment 410338View attachment 410339
Good looking machine, I’ve always had the lift on my buggy, so I don’t really know the difference in ride quality. But I’m willing to give it a try.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good looking machine, I’ve always had the lift on my buggy, so I don’t really know the difference in ride quality. But I’m willing to give it a try.
You will notice a big difference. When you get those shocks you can add some preload to get some ground clearance back. Another way you can get some extra ground clearance is to buy some arched a arms. I didn't want 30" tires so that's why I got a arms was for some extra ground clearance. I'd say they have helped me get thru a few ruts that stock arms would have hung up on

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Wow, it looks squatty now, haha. Got the bracket lift off, now waiting for the new shocks to arrive. I lost about 2” of clearance. It was sitting high at 15” at the passenger side skid plate. Now it’s just under 13”. View attachment 410332View attachment 410333
Looks like you have the spring spacers on the stock shocks, when get the RC shocks and add some pre-load you'll about the same height you are now. But it'll ride better without the bracket lifts 👍

Reactions: FL_CrackerLife
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You will notice a big difference. When you get those shocks you can add some preload to get some ground clearance back. Another way you can get some extra ground clearance is to buy some arched a arms. I didn't want 30" tires so that's why I got a arms was for some extra ground clearance. I'd say they have helped me get thru a few ruts that stock arms would have hung up on
Only if they have a built in lift. The SATV arms do not offer a lift (as far as I know) ***maybe the new Atlas arms do???*** The TTC arms offer a built in lift, that's the way to go honestly if one was to do it all over again.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will notice a big difference. When you get those shocks you can add some preload to get some ground clearance back. Another way you can get some extra ground clearance is to buy some arched an arms. I didn't want 30" tires so that's why I got an arms was for some extra ground clearance. I'd say they have helped me get thru a few ruts that stock arms would have hung up on
If I go to a high clearance an arm with any forward movement of the tire, I won’t be able to fit her in my camper. My left front wheel touches the wall in my 30wrs, and the back of the buggy is about 1/2” away from the door.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like you have the spring spacers on the stock shocks, when get the RC shocks and add some pre-load you'll about the same height you are now. But it'll ride better without the bracket lifts 👍
I was able to remove the lift brackets at home, but my spring compression tool is at work. It was a pain in the a getting the spring spacers in there the first time. I might just leave them in, and bring the lift kit to the takeover to try to sell.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only if they have a built in lift. The SATV arms do not offer a lift (as far as I know) ***maybe the new Atlas arms do???*** The TTC arms offer a built in lift, that's the way to go honestly if one was to do it all over again.
No. Arched a arms absolutely give the machine more ground clearance than stock arms. If not then what's the purpose of being arched?

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was able to remove the lift brackets at home, but my spring compression tool is at work. It was a pain in the a getting the spring spacers in there the first time. I might just leave them in, and bring the lift kit to the takeover to try to sell.
The ratchet strap method works pretty good to compress springs

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No. Arched a arms absolutely give the machine more ground clearance than stock arms. If not then what's the purpose of being arched?
My bad, you're correct. They 100% give the machine more ground clearance (at the arms) I misread your post and thought you meant overall ground clearance.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If you're just waiting on the RC shocks to arrive then I wouldn't bother removing the spacers. I've been running spacers on my stock shocks for about 2 years now. All it does is take the sag out of the spring by adding preload. They ride like crap from the factory so might as well enjoy a bit more ground clearance with the spacers 🤷‍♂️

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had a Base model 1000-3 with the highlifter bracket lift
BINGO! Thats why!!!!
Had a bracket lift on mine at one point and took the good out of those shocks. Ive been an advocate on here to stay away from them things. Messes everything up especially suspension geometry.
Kinda like that hot but bad chick in High screwoool everything looks good on the outside till you stay with it a while and all the bad things happen later and you realize, this aint as good as perceived lol

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Base model 1000-3 with the highlifter bracket lift. I’m not sure why they didn’t show a difference, I treated that machine like a rzr, pushing its limits, and having fun with it. I added a little preload, but nothing too radical. I wound up selling them when I sold the machine to trade up into the 1000-5 deluxe.
I have a pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. I had the highlifter bracket lift using stock OE shocks with 28" SuperATV Intimidators. My machine rode very stiff. I got a sweet deal on a set of fox shocks, I swapped coils before installing the shocks. It improved my ride quality a little. Then I ditched the bracket lift and switched to C-Fab control arms with lift built in. Huge improvement in ride quality.

I later switched to Achilles Desert Hawk MT 30x9.50r15 tires and I did not feel an improvement. These are LT DOT Truck tires and should be stiffer in theory.

I currently have a set of 30x10r14 Interco Sniper UTV tires in the garage I will install soonish. I am hoping they improve my ride quality more.

The bracket lift stands the shocks up. It makes them more vertical to obtain lift. This causes them to ride stiffer because the suspension geometry was never meant to be in a vertical position. The suspension is designed to have an angle to it. Shocks typically ride smoother/better when angled. If you look closely at sport machines you can see some look like they can be near 45 degrees.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @Robobrainiac for the more in depth explanation of the bracket lift and shocks. It helped me to understand it better. I’ve been satisfied with the qbt846 tires I have. I had a few different tires on my 1000-3. But these work out well for the kind of riding I do. They don’t pull too much in mud, do well in the mountains and are pretty quiet on the roads.
I received the new shocks yesterday, but haven’t had the chance to install them yet. They seemed to be packaged lightly. But they looked good, I just opened the box to make sure they weren’t damaged on arrival.
IMG 9513

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks @Robobrainiac for the more in depth explanation of the bracket lift and shocks.
All you had to do was ask, i could have givin u the cliff notes🤣
@Robobrainiac did a good job.
He and I both have explained this more times then we can count on other threads.

FL_CrackerLife

FL_CrackerLife

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2017
Lecanto, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I got the shocks swapped out tonight, I decided to leave the RC Shocks’ preload at the shipped preload from factory, and with that, over stock shocks, I gained about a 1/2” over all. So tomorrow night I’ll play with preload. Swapping the shocks out was EZ peezy in the front, the rears took a little more time, removal of the tires and having the bed lifted made it easier. All in all it took me about an hour. I’ll probably run the rear preload about another inch or so tighter, I usually have the BCF spare tire & cooler rack, a highlift/farm jack, and a custom toolbox that fits between the opened seat backs and the tailgate.
IMG 7504

IMG 9556
IMG 9550
IMG 9551
IMG 9553
IMG 9554
IMG 9552
IMG 9555

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I got the shocks swapped out tonight, I decided to leave the RC Shocks’ preload at the shipped preload from factory, and with that, over stock shocks, I gained about a 1/2” over all. So tomorrow night I’ll play with preload. Swapping the shocks out was EZ peezy in the front, the rears took a little more time, removal of the tires and having the bed lifted made it easier. All in all it took me about an hour. I’ll probably run the rear preload about another inch or so tighter, I usually have the BCF spare tire & cooler rack, a highlift/farm jack, and a custom toolbox that fits between the opened seat backs and the tailgate.
View attachment 410622
View attachment 410615View attachment 410616View attachment 410617View attachment 410618View attachment 410619View attachment 410620View attachment 410621
My set up has mine at 80" tall at the top of the roof in the back. I probably have a little more preload and ground clearance than you do. That's on 28" tires with 10 psi front and rear

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!