BOX1

Talon Clicking Noise when Putting Into Low

D

dhcross61

Nov 28, 2017
ARKANSAS
Ownership

1. 500
I have issues with a clicking noise when putting into low from startup on level ground from time to time. I also have had it once slip out of low after placing into low going up a hill. I have also had it hit really hard after placing into low and taking off. I have had the gear shift adjusted at the dealer at a cost and they said all was good and that it may click from time to time but Honda says they have had no issues. I have a good feeling something bad is gonna happen one of these times. Anyone have the same issues or good advice.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda says they have had no issues.

Not sure thats accurate. There have been several sub-trans rebuilt for worn gear dogs or bent shift forks.

Make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting and idle.
Shift with a quick force and try to lock in the gear quick. But dont let it grind as that will round them off and it wont work at all.

Reactions: CID and dhcross61
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm at 5,400 miles and I had mine not go into gear when cold a couple of times. I can feel it in the shifter so I'm very careful not to give it throttle when I can feel its not fully engaged into low range. If it continues to bang in into gear when you give it throttle the engagement dogs will have damage. Mine shifts into low ok after it is fully warmed up. I use low range to load it on my trailer and it was in the high 30's. My dealer is replacing the shift cable. And yes it must be at idle and you should shift into gear quickly. Taking your foot off the brake may help some too.

T

TalonR180

May 19, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
I asked my dealer about this and we figured out what to do
Sometimes there can be a delay when everything is still a little cold, in the shift to i4wd or especially going into low range.
My solution is this: Just wait for the indicator to light up on the dash. Once i did this i've never experienced the problems you described. Just a two second delay sometimes. Once everything is warmed up and I've been riding the shift happens faster and I'm in and out of 2wd a lot.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon x4
These things happen even when the indicator light shows all is good. Mine has fussed on me a number of time going into low. I think if you catch it early and adjust the cable, it will be fine and you'll need to be careful regardless.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!