Club GMRS privacy codes

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
I've searched the forums and found the club channel list but I have not found if we are using any privacy codes (CTCSS or DCS). Can anyone point me to the information or are they not being used?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
So we don't have to hear other people on the same channel

Selecting a Privacy Code
Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) and Digitally Coded
Squelch (DCS) are systems that allow several users to share the same
channel without disturbing each other. When CTCSS or DCS is enabled
for a selected channel, the channel is muted to all incoming signals unless
they carry the correct CTCSS or DCS tone.
When a transmission with the correct tone is received, the mute is
removed and the voice audio can be heard. When the transmission ends
the channel is muted again. Transmissions that do not have the correct
tone are not heard.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Selecting a Privacy Code
tone are not heard.
Thats above my pay grade!
Someone in that department will be along in the not too distant future to help

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Selecting a Privacy Code
tone are not heard.
🤨🤔........I just yell out the buggy as loud as I can......🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂

NoMo!!

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've searched the forums and found the club channel list but I have not found if we are using any privacy codes (CTCSS or DCS). Can anyone point me to the information or are they not being used?
None of the groups I have ran with have used privacy codes. Most probably wouldn’t know how to. If to much traffic we just change channels

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
None of the groups I have ran with have used privacy codes. Most probably wouldn’t know how to. If to much traffic we just change channels
This..
Getting everyone to change channels is hard enough, much less applying a PC then hoping they remember how to remove or change it with their next group.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
No, nobody uses GMRS privacy codes. Beyond that, they aren't even private.

Set your radios to the channel and 'privacy code', and you can interact with anyone who also uses that channel and privacy code.

It's not like its encryption or anything.

advertisement
J

Joe_none

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
NC
No, nobody uses GMRS privacy codes. Beyond that, they aren't even private.

Set your radios to the channel and 'privacy code', and you can interact with anyone who also uses that channel and privacy code.

It's not like its encryption or anything.
Right, it's just to avoid hearing others on the channel that don't have the code. Used mainly when the same channel has a lot of unrelated groups on it to only hear your group.

Having a radio is new to me I wasn't sure how busy the channels will be when we ride up in TN. Wanted to make sure I have everything set up before the next overlanding trip.

Reactions: Scoop and Hondasxs
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Right, it's just to avoid hearing others on the channel that don't have the code. Used mainly when the same channel has a lot of unrelated groups on it to only hear your group.

Having a radio is new to me I wasn't sure how busy the channels will be when we ride up in TN. Wanted to make sure I have everything set up before the next overlanding trip.
Correct.

But many people think using a privacy code (aka PL or private line, QC or quiet code, interference eliminator codes when referring to CTCSS or DCS) will stop others who do not set the same PL from hearing them.

Wrong.

If your group radios ARE using a privacy code, anyone who does NOT set a privacy code CAN still hear you ... you just can't hear THEM.

One of the main reasons why the casual FRS/GMRS radio user folks don't privacy codes is because some radios won't let you set one or the radio has them pre-programmed, and if you have anyone in your group that uses those types of radios, they won't be able to transmit to the rest of the group. They will only hear others.

Listen, but not speak - like some children should be. 😁

If anyone wants a better understanding of CTCSS and DCS, reach out to @Backwoods. He knows a lot about a lot of things. 😆

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Correct.

But many people think using a privacy code (aka PL or private line, QC or quiet code, interference eliminator codes when referring to CTCSS or DCS) will stop others who do not set the same PL from hearing them.

Wrong.

If your group radios ARE using a privacy code, anyone who does NOT set a privacy code CAN still hear you ... you just can't hear THEM.

One of the main reasons why the casual FRS/GMRS radio user folks don't privacy codes is because some radios won't let you set one or the radio has them pre-programmed, and if you have anyone in your group that uses those types of radios, they won't be able to transmit to the rest of the group. They will only hear others.

Listen, but not speak - like some children should be. 😁

If anyone wants a better understanding of CTCSS and DCS, reach out to @Backwoods. He knows a lot about a lot of things. 😆
Not me. Ask @Scoop. He perfected nuclear fusion and the truth about Bigfoot. He also started a club for handicapped gays.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not me. Ask @Scoop. He perfected nuclear fusion and the truth about Bigfoot.
The nuclear fusion, the theory of relativity, the meaning of life, my theorem for distributive lattices states, and the discovery of copper were things I did in my spare time. Bigfoot was pretty tough, though.
He also started a club for handicapped gays.
I started it for the money, but I'm not a member. Oh, that reminds me: Your 2023 membership dues are late. When do you plan on sending them in?

🤣🤣🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If Scoop were to ask Scoop then Scoop would answer to Scoop and Scoop would respond. It would be like an infinite series of responses from Scoop for eternity.
Just like one of those endless photographs of a camera taking a photograph of a camera taking a picture of a photograph of a camera taking a picture of a photograph of a picture of a camera taking a picture of a photograph ...

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!