P1000 Clunking/Rattling or No Engagment From Stopped To Reverse/Forward - Solution

V

vanditto

Mar 10, 2019
N. Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently had a problem with my 2016 Pioneeer 1000-5 that I would like to share with others as it seems it could be a common problem. The following is a description of the problem.

It started with me getting a very loud clunk when shifting from reverse to forward H or L. It was almost as though the transmission felt it was going out of gear and then re-engaging. It did this for a few months before it started making a very loud and pronounced rattling sound/feeling while driving forward. I would describe it as riding the clutch with a manual transmission. It eventually would barely move forward... with the same rattling as described above. Although mine was in forward gear, it could also just as easily happen in reverse as well based on the design of the system (discovered while repairing).

Many, including Honda dealerships, will tell you this problem has to do with the clutch(s). That isn't correct as the issue lies in the sub-transmission.

Now, to how to fix the problem. If you are mechanically inclined and can do it yourself, it will only cost a approx $200 in parts, otherwise you'll have to pay whatever your shop charges for labor on top of parts. It involves removing the sub transmission case, separating the case, and getting to Honda 23751-HL4-000 - SHIFTER, LOW REVERSE and Honda 23691-HL4-000 GEAR, REVERSE DRIVE (27T). and replacing them. There are small engagement notches that mate when you shift from forward to reverse or vice versa that become rounded preventing engagement. Many shops refer to these notches as "engagement dogs".

I did this job myself and it took me about 8 hours from start to finish due to unfamiliarity with the machine and gaining access to the sub transmission. I would highly recommend finding yourself a shop manual as the sub transmission disassembly/reassembly can be very confusing.

I hope this helps others as I had a very difficult time diagnosing the problem. By the looks of it, the primary cause would be shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa, or h to l while moving. Make sure you come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting this machine. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee you will eventually have this problem.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer them. I don't check this thread often so please be patient if you do send me a message as it may take me a while to respond.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could also be complications from creeping at idle that gets worse over time. I've found a clutch initialization alleviates the creeping issue.

I’ve just noticed my machine has started to do this slightly. Guess it’s time to attempt the clutch initialization procedure.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too have been getting some clunking going from reverse to forward. It’s quite a clunk at that. Not being mechanically inclined, it has me worried a bit.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently had a problem with my 2016 Pioneeer 1000-5 that I would like to share with others as it seems it could be a common problem. The following is a description of the problem.

It started with me getting a very loud clunk when shifting from reverse to forward H or L. It was almost as though the transmission felt it was going out of gear and then re-engaging. It did this for a few months before it started making a very loud and pronounced rattling sound/feeling while driving forward. I would describe it as riding the clutch with a manual transmission. It eventually would barely move forward... with the same rattling as described above. Although mine was in forward gear, it could also just as easily happen in reverse as well based on the design of the system (discovered while repairing).

Many, including Honda dealerships, will tell you this problem has to do with the clutch(s). That isn't correct as the issue lies in the sub-transmission.

Now, to how to fix the problem. If you are mechanically inclined and can do it yourself, it will only cost a approx $200 in parts, otherwise you'll have to pay whatever your shop charges for labor on top of parts. It involves removing the sub transmission case, separating the case, and getting to Honda 23751-HL4-000 - SHIFTER, LOW REVERSE and Honda 23691-HL4-000 GEAR, REVERSE DRIVE (27T). and replacing them. There are small engagement notches that mate when you shift from forward to reverse or vice versa that become rounded preventing engagement. Many shops refer to these notches as "engagement dogs".

I did this job myself and it took me about 8 hours from start to finish due to unfamiliarity with the machine and gaining access to the sub transmission. I would highly recommend finding yourself a shop manual as the sub transmission disassembly/reassembly can be very confusing.

I hope this helps others as I had a very difficult time diagnosing the problem. By the looks of it, the primary cause would be shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa, or h to l while moving. Make sure you come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting this machine. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee you will eventually have this problem.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me and I'll do my best to answer them. I don't check this thread often so please be patient if you do send me a message as it may take me a while to respond.
And welcome to the forum...

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PSA...
This can be avoided by proper shift cable adjustment!
Where can I find out how to do that? and thanks.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Through your observation of the system fo you think this could be caused by improper shift cable adjustment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry but I'm not the one to ask. @CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!