P1000 Clutch Pack Glazed at 250 Miles?

F

Flagpts

Nov 5, 2018
Southwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all. I got my parents a new 2018 Pioneer 1000-5 LE last October to use around their couple acres, carry bags of dirt around, etc. Fairly light use, including some on-road driving up to the store. Street legal here in AZ. Around 200-250 miles on the odometer, it starts having trouble shifting into Low. It will eventually go into gear, but you have to jiggle the shifter just right. Set up an appointment with the only dealer within ~100 miles, wait a month and change, and get told they can't find any issues. They say they called Honda who said it's probably a glazed first clutch pack, and that's due to user error/maintenance and not covered under warranty.

I called Honda and opened a case with them. They said the same thing - user error/maintenance/wear and tear. I read up on it and saw the 2016/2017 P1000-5s were having clutch pack issues due to overheating and they created revised parts...are the 2018s still having it with such light use, at such low miles, and not being covered under warranty? Seems crazy to me.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There has been a revised clutch cover that adds much more fluid and cooling to the clutches. It has helped dramatically. Yours being an 18 has the new cover.
Sounds like bent shift lever, misadjusted cable or possibly to much fluid in sub trans.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
H

HondaTech

Does the unit creep in gear with no throttle input?

Does the sub trans grind when trying to go into Low?

Is going into Low gear easier with unit not running?

The clutch issue should be a non issue after the update, atleast I haven't seen any with the update have problems. Sounds to me like they gave up and called Honda and used their excuse as the reason its messed up. If Honda had told me the clutches were supposedly "glazed" I would have pulled the cover to verify this, not just taken their word for it.

This doesnt even make sense, because the clutch isnt just applied in low, it's also in high.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1) I can't imagine a wet clutch being "glazed" as I understand the phenomenon.
2) I can't imagine any glazed clutch causing difficult shifting into low range.
3) I can imagine a high or low oil level or contaminated/incorrect oil viscosity in your sub trans.
4) I can imagine the look on HondaTech's face if some other tech tried to feed him that line of BS.

F

Flagpts

Nov 5, 2018
Southwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the unit creep in gear with no throttle input?

Does the sub trans grind when trying to go into Low?

Is going into Low gear easier with unit not running?

The clutch issue should be a non issue after the update, atleast I haven't seen any with the update have problems. Sounds to me like they gave up and called Honda and used their excuse as the reason its messed up. If Honda had told me the clutches were supposedly "glazed" I would have pulled the cover to verify this, not just taken their word for it.

This doesnt even make sense, because the clutch isnt just applied in low, it's also in high.

I’ll go over and test it out so I can answer for certain, but I do seem to remember it crawling forward slightly while in gear, no throttle.

When shifting into low, most times it won’t indicate it’s in a gear on the gear indicator (just a line). If you give the shifter a good jiggle back and forth, sometimes it will go into low. If you apply throttle, it will rev up like it’s in neutral. Sometimes it will clunk and go into gear.

I don’t know about the easier into low with gear off. I’ll check and update.

The dealer we have here has always been a PITA and shady. Never liked dealing with them personally, but short of driving a few hours with the Pioneer trailered, I don’t have much choice. Obviously that’s what I’ll do if it seems like our only option.

I appreciate you guys confirming I’m not totally crazy that the glazed clutch story seems far out.

F

Flagpts

Nov 5, 2018
Southwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had someone check. It does roll forward when in gear, no throttle. There is a grind/clunk going from high to low. It is easier going from Park to Low when the Pioneer is turned off.

J

JTW

Had someone check. It does roll forward when in gear, no throttle. There is a grind/clunk going from high to low. It is easier going from Park to Low when the Pioneer is turned off.
High to low are you coming to a complete stop?

advertisement
J

JTW

Yes, shifting only at a stop. Same with turf->2wd->4wd
Not necessary with the turf, 2wd,4wd... but is with high low. As said.. check your cable adjustments and snuff has a good point of trying the clutch relearn... if that’s doesnt do it. Haul it to a good dealer if you’re still under warranty.

Reactions: lee

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Might try a clutch relearn.
Mine will pull a little at idle also. Is that considered normal and no adjustments needed? Or maybe I should do a clutch relearn also?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Mine will pull a little at idle also. Is that considered normal and no adjustments needed? Or maybe I should do a clutch relearn also?
The oil in the clutch pack can put a little drag on the plates especially when cold. I've reset mine after it was wanting to pull a little after messing with the clutches and it did help.

Reactions: JTW and lee
F

Flagpts

Nov 5, 2018
Southwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I did the clutch relearn procedure (a real pain when it won’t indicate low gear :p) and drove it a bit afterward. Still difficult going into low, BUT it seems to only be the first time going into low after a start. After you get it into low, it goes in better on subsequent attempts.

What I did notice now is that if you start it up, shift down into low and leave it sit a few seconds, there is a grinding/clunk noise from the rear end and it will then go into low. I took a video to help...

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Lift the seat and check for a defective shift cable. There is a tube at the end under the rubber boot and it may disconnect from the cable housing. If so you can move the shift lever into low gear by moving the lever with your hand. My cable came apart at about 12,000 miles. Its crimped into the cable housing.

20180308 113857 resized   Copy

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Lift the seat and check for a defective shift cable. There is a tube at the end under the rubber boot and it may disconnect from the cable housing. If so you can move the shift lever into low gear by moving the lever with your hand. My cable came apart at about 12,000 miles. Its crimped into the cable housing.

View attachment 140560
I second @hondabob on this I have had the same problem

Reactions: snuffnwhisky

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!