P1000 Clutch question..

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have any experience with their clutches staying engaged, or "rubbing," at idle?
Mine has gotten to where it is very hard to shift while running, and while in gear it moves. It is not related to cable adjustment as this has been performed and is dead on with both levers. It is also unrelated to the sub trans as it shifts flawlessly. It is related to the clutches being engaged while at idle, but my RPMs are correct and where they have been since new. A bug issue is becoming if I don't shift with force and fast, it may grind a tad dude to the clutches pressing together.
Computer issue? Need to reset clutches? Wish it was as simple as idling high causing clutches to slightly engage, but it is not.
Side note - just got in from a 20 mile ride and the clutches hook up excellent with zero slipping.
Any help appreciated!

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One more note - it only does it once everything heats up. I am curious if (1) heat expansion swells the clutches/clutch area causing them to lightly scrub, or (2) if the heat thins the oil out just enough and effects clutch pressure to cause them to barely engage. In other words the same amount of pressure pushing a higher viscosity liquid and a lesser viscosity through the same tube would result in more volume of the thinner fluid moving through. Could this be happening with the DCT as the oil heats up? When engine is off, I can cycle through the shifts with one finger, so it is not related in any way to tight or dirty cables/ linkages. Again, only when hot and engine running. I have no idea how this DCT works beyond how the clutches themselves sync/engage.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone have any experience with their clutches staying engaged, or "rubbing," at idle?
Mine has gotten to where it is very hard to shift while running, and while in gear it moves. It is not related to cable adjustment as this has been performed and is dead on with both levers. It is also unrelated to the sub trans as it shifts flawlessly. It is related to the clutches being engaged while at idle, but my RPMs are correct and where they have been since new. A bug issue is becoming if I don't shift with force and fast, it may grind a tad dude to the clutches pressing together.
Computer issue? Need to reset clutches? Wish it was as simple as idling high causing clutches to slightly engage, but it is not.
Side note - just got in from a 20 mile ride and the clutches hook up excellent with zero slipping.
Any help appreciated!

Sometimes when I back out of the garage for the first time of the day, mine won't disengage. It will drive backwards as far as I want it to go at idle speed. I hit the brake to stop the vehicle and it will disengage and not do it again while the vehicle is hot.

Sounds a little opposite from your problem though. I think mine is idling a little high when the motor is cold.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sometimes when I back out of the garage for the first time of the day, mine won't disengage. It will drive backwards as far as I want it to go at idle speed. I hit the brake to stop the vehicle and it will disengage and not do it again while the vehicle is hot.

Sounds a little opposite from your problem though. I think mine is idling a little high when the motor is cold.
Just went out for another 10 miles and did some crawling and rode a little in a creek. I stopped on a pretty good hill and noticed when I pushed the break in it actually rolled back a little until I pushed brake in harder. I did it a few more times to verify my analysis, and came to the conclusion I was not pressing the brake in enough to shift. There has to be a sensor that tells the computer to release the clutches when the brake is pushed in at a stand still as I tested multiple times on a hill where the clutches would try to hold it at idle and as soon as I pressed the brake it would roll back until I gave her some more pressure. Once I began pressing the brake firmly to shift it goes into gear very smoothly. Apparently I confirmed to myself that I had no idea how this trans works. All is good now :)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just went out for another 10 miles and did some crawling and rode a little in a creek. I stopped on a pretty good hill and noticed when I pushed the break in it actually rolled back a little until I pushed brake in harder. I did it a few more times to verify my analysis, and came to the conclusion I was not pressing the brake in enough to shift. There has to be a sensor that tells the computer to release the clutches when the brake is pushed in at a stand still as I tested multiple times on a hill where the clutches would try to hold it at idle and as soon as I pressed the brake it would roll back until I gave her some more pressure. Once I began pressing the brake firmly to shift it goes into gear very smoothly. Apparently I confirmed to myself that I had no idea how this trans works. All is good now :)

Maybe try adjusting this brake sensor that it located right behind the brake fluid reservoir.

I adjusted mine so that the brake light comes on immediately when I push in the pedal. It could have some relevance to your issue.

F72d6885e5e2ba11013ac288e3522396

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe try adjusting this brake sensor that it located right behind the brake fluid reservoir.

I adjusted mine so that the brake light comes on immediately when I push in the pedal. It could have some relevance to your issue.

View attachment 18839
Good call.
My brake lights do not come on until I press the brake pedal very firmly - at least an inch and a half. I will look into this and adjust.

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Mine does exact same thing. It's like they don't want to let go. I just push brake in harder and they finally give up. After that first time they work perfectly.

Reactions: joeymt33
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This happens to me exactly as you describe. But I think my engine is idling normal. When starting and moving forward or reverse when it is cold it stays partially engaged and will keep rolling until I hit brakes. Have not noticed it any other time and has given me no real reason to worry at this time.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!