P1000 Clutch update reviews???

Wiggins

Wiggins

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking forward to seeing if mine makes a difference or not they just ordered the parts for it yesterday they said it take a week or so to get them in

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

The oil relief valves have been chamfered along with the different clutch cover for more oil flow to the clutches

I'm not sure where the chambered oil relief valves thing came from, but unless that's part of the new covers machining then it's not happening.

We've never been instructed to do this and I'm not even sure where the oil "relief" valves are. The only valves in the entire clutch system are in the valve body and there's only 2. I never touch them unless there is heavy burning or plates with fibers missing from them.

Unless maybe someone is referring to the bypass valves. But I can't see where that would help the clutch system. There's o my 2 of them as well but 1 is neat the filter housings and 1 is down but the oil pump.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm not sure where the chambered oil relief valves thing came from, but unless that's part of the new covers machining then it's not happening.

We've never been instructed to do this and I'm not even sure where the oil "relief" valves are. The only valves in the entire clutch system are in the valve body and there's only 2. I never touch them unless there is heavy burning or plates with fibers missing from them.

Unless maybe someone is referring to the bypass valves. But I can't see where that would help the clutch system. There's o my 2 of them as well but 1 is neat the filter housings and 1 is down but the oil pump.
I don't have a clue other than it was written on my first repair invoice which I posted on this site somewhere.

Reactions: Hawk53
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've had the update even though I didn't think I had a problem. Post update my takeoff from standing still is much smoother and easier, it's not near as jerky or sensitive. Another difference post update....in between gear shifts rpms slightly rev up before the next gear engages. Before the update it was a quicker shift. Im not sure if the clutch update or the new oil the dealer used or the clutch reset changed this, but its different. Overall I'm happy with the update. ...especially the takeoff from zero.

Just had my clutch updated and seat heat kit installed. Shifted rougher than when I took it in. Decided to reset clutch. After 4 tries got fast enough for it to take. Now it is smooth as a baby's behind. Easy starts, little, maybe 50 rpm higher shifts, but overall what a change!
My P100-3 has 26 miles on it. I asked the dealer, Big Valley Honda, of Reno, NV to get the mod done as soon as I got it home. He ordered the parts, and here it is a week later and it's done. As a pilot, I've seen what oil starvation can do, and didn't want to use it until the mod was done. Now I'm heading out in the desert, on trails at first. Got to be sure everything is good before I go where most don't even consider.

H

HondaTech

Just had my clutch updated and seat heat kit installed. Shifted rougher than when I took it in. Decided to reset clutch. After 4 tries got fast enough for it to take. Now it is smooth as a baby's behind. Easy starts, little, maybe 50 rpm higher shifts, but overall what a change!
My P100-3 has 26 miles on it. I asked the dealer, Big Valley Honda, of Reno, NV to get the mod done as soon as I got it home. He ordered the parts, and here it is a week later and it's done. As a pilot, I've seen what oil starvation can do, and didn't want to use it until the mod was done. Now I'm heading out in the desert, on trails at first. Got to be sure everything is good before I go where most don't even consider.

The easiest mistake to make when trying to reset the clutch is that the display doesn't show "L" when the shifter is in the Low range. Make sure when going from Park to Low the display actually shows "L". If it doesn't than it won't acknowledge the fact your trying to update. This is critical since the engine is off and the unit isn't moving, you may need to rock the unit to get it to show "L". Also warm the engine up before hand or it'll have to sit to do so before it will allow you to reset.

Reactions: JTW and elkguide
AppleCreek

AppleCreek

Lifetime Member
Oct 28, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Just got my buggy back last night after having the clutch update done. I had 4400 miles on it at the time of the update. They replaced the cover as well as the clutch pack and a gear that was clunking when you tried to put it in low. Shift cable was also replaced under warranty which is the reason I brought it in. So far I am very impressed with the update! Before it was very jerky on take off and shifted hard. I was still very happy with it. Now it takes off smoothly and you hardly notice when it shifts. Very cool, it runs better now than when it was new. I was originally going to wait longer to do the update to get more wear on the old clutch plates. Now I'm glad I went ahead and did it.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just took mine in this morning for the clutch up date and the muffler shield up date. I have a couple of long rides planned for June. IlI' post my thoughts on the up dates next week. It's got 7200 miles on it with no problems figured I might as well get it done before any issues developed.m

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had this done about 3 weeks ago dealer did exhaust shield at the same time. Only put a few miles on around the house prior to taking it to the UP for weekend . As others have stated the most noticeable difference is its much smoother on take off or backing. It also seems to "HIT" a little harder when it shifts in sport mode.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had this done about 3 weeks ago dealer did exhaust shield at the same time. Only put a few miles on around the house prior to taking it to the UP for weekend . As others have stated the most noticeable difference is its much smoother on take off or backing. It also seems to "HIT" a little harder when it shifts in sport mode.

I should've added we put around 225 miles on last weekend and no issues.

Reactions: Smitty335
oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just took mine in this morning for the clutch up date and the muffler shield up date. I have a couple of long rides planned for June. IlI' post my thoughts on the up dates next week. It's got 7200 miles on it with no problems figured I might as well get it done before any issues developed.m
Got it back the next day. They had it done by 4 pm the same day. I've put about 30 miles on and there isn't a dramatic difference just slightly smoother take off and the shift points are slightly lower. Glad I had it done. Looking forward to many thousands of trouble free miles.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!