P1000 Clutch update reviews???

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
Anyone have any real time testing on the new clutch update, I seen some say it shifts better in high but no one ever said anything about low range, I'm wondering if it helps with the shuddering on inclines at low speeds also if after updated if the machine can go any slower than before as far as crawling, slowest mine will go is 3mph?? Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone have any real time testing on the new clutch update, I seen some say it shifts better in high but no one ever said anything about low range, I'm wondering if it helps with the shuddering on inclines at low speeds also if after updated if the machine can go any slower than before as far as crawling, slowest mine will go is 3mph?? Thanks
It is supposed to take shuttering out, we'll see?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’ve got about 100 miles on mine after the update and honestly I really can’t tell the difference! I’m thinking this update will extend clutch life not prevent clutch failure or drastically improve performance!
Low feels about the same when climbing at roughly 3 mph and as far as the shudder I experienced a slight shudder while in 4wd High in auto mode! I will review some of my video from the last ride to see if I have anything to support my experience!
At the end of the day I am hoping for extended clutch life.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Correction*

I have over 217 miles on since the update:rolleyes::D
81A768F6 6341 4695 A82E 9BF45D65BF0D
DACE261F 8E43 4F66 A17A AA94368665EB

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Having a hard time understanding some of the reports that shift solenoids are quieter after clutch up date. Thought the update supplied more lube to the 1-3-5 clutch. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lee
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I spent 2.5 hours driving a P1k-5 around in circles, slow, 2 footing crawling over rocks and freeking rail road ties this afternoon.
Used the clutch like a torque converter - its a wet clutch so it should be able to do that all day long if its designed right.
Watch this vidio, explains it better than I ever could:
P1000 - Weak clutches?

I don't think there is any difference in how it 'feels' with the clutch update.
But it seams to work like I think it should (so far).

As for the cabin heat "fix" I froze my ass off, it was 35 degrees out and no windshield.
Hondas' smokin the good stuff to release that going in to winter.
It's probably a plot to make me break down and get a windshield

Last edited:
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Windshield is great when temp drops unless you want to wear snowmobile suit and helmet with shield

Last edited:
J

JTW

I spent 2.5 hours driving a P1k-5 around in circles, slow, 2 footing crawling over rocks and freeking rail road ties this afternoon.
Used the clutch like a torque converter - its a wet clutch so it should be able to do that all day long if its designed right.
Watch this vidio, explains it better than ever could:
P1000 - Weak clutches?

I don't think there is any difference in how it 'feels' with the clutch update.
But it seams to work like I think it should (so far).

As for the cabin heat "fix" I froze my ass off, it was 35 degrees out and no windshield.
Hondas' smokin the good stuff to release that going in to winter.
It's probably a plot to make me break down and get a windshield
Lmao!!!

Having met you it’s waaaay funnier now!

advertisement
MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I have ridden about 50 miles since the clutch upgrade. I had my first service at the same time. I used 10W40 oil instead of 10W30. I can still hear the clutches shifting. However, the jerky nature at low speeds gas been substantially reduced.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

What I've found in the several I've done is that a fresh clutch or new unit combined with this update makes the machine feel completely different. Almost gives it a slipping feeling on take off and the shutter climbing hills is gone.

It seems the machines I don't install a clutch on (because it's acceptable within limit) the feeling is a little better than without. Shuttering is a little noticeable but not as bad, and take off isn't quite as smooth as a fresh clutch.

That's my take, every units seems different. I've ridden some that are amazingly smooth without the clutch update and some that are crap. I guess it's just depends on tolerances in the engine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's my take, every units seems different. I've ridden some that are amazingly smooth without the clutch update and some that are crap. I guess it's just depends on tolerances in the engine.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I've found and have mentioned. Each rig veries, most are very good, some exceptional and some not so much.

Some people just don't get this. Whether it's the guy with the perfect machine that says it'll take anything to the guy with issues saying it's junk. Been there in both situations lol. I've driven as many p1k's as anyone but most I've been lucky enough to give a little hell. Fluid "drive" is awesome but not without issues. You have a great one you are god, most are very very good but however some...
I've driven few other machines that touch a Pioneer and it's because of that transmission. Nothing like being in the right gear at the right times regardless of auto sport or manual! Nothing like going through the gears in a technical trail. Even a very good belt just doesn't touch it.
Keep hearing questions about comparison on the x4. It's hard not to comment because we were lucky enough not only drive one but to run it in our very tight technical spot in the woods. Well... guys it's good. Very good. Lots of miles in a Pioneer here, so my impression (not needing the high top speed because we live for low speed technical not dirt roads) it's good. But just not near as good in some ways as Pioneer. Pioneer is fun! Wolverine x4 just goes. Bottom line for all that ask, the Pioneer p1k5 is the most fun at getting the most throw the woods. It's a beast and fun as well as dependable.
For how we ride there are two multi passenger Sxs's that'll go. X4 and p1k5. Both good, one better, PIONEER! I'll b**** sometimes but I'm still in. The Pioneer just rocks. Always overly honest here regardless (I do want to get four x4 buckets for PJ after the experience lol) but had we wound up with the x4 it wasn't a replacement to the Pioneer but actually to the 700 Wolverine which omg in many levels no. Greatest team imo for our family is PJ and our 700. Not changing and I'll be leading our team with PJ :)

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was fortunate enough to participate in the 2017 Overland Adventure, I rode in at least 3 different P1k's. Every one shifted different and felt different! Not sure why this is but I also saw 3 completely different driving styles, all three of these felt different than mine! I would have expected a little more consistency. Not sure whty this is the case unless its the way the owner breaks them in differently.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was fortunate enough to participate in the 2017 Overland Adventure, I rode in at least 3 different P1k's. Every one shifted different and felt different! Not sure why this is but I also saw 3 completely different driving styles, all three of these felt different than mine! I would have expected a little more consistency. Not sure whty this is the case unless its the way the owner breaks them in differently.

I think the transmission learns your driving style??

I’d look but my owners manual is in the glove box, and it’s buttoned up to go riding shortly.

Reactions: lee and Hawk53
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Having a hard time understanding some of the reports that shift solenoids are quieter after clutch up date. Thought the update supplied more lube to the 1-3-5 clutch. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The oil relief valves have been chamfered along with the different clutch cover for more oil flow to the clutches

Reactions: Hawk53
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what are you saying @ohanacreek?
You and my P1k think I drive like a jerk?

No judgement here I’ve seen you put that 500 in places guys were to timid to take a 1000.
You’d have to talk to a Honda Engineer about the P1K.

M

Mpmitch1

Jan 1, 2017
Madison
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had the update even though I didn't think I had a problem. Post update my takeoff from standing still is much smoother and easier, it's not near as jerky or sensitive. Another difference post update....in between gear shifts rpms slightly rev up before the next gear engages. Before the update it was a quicker shift. Im not sure if the clutch update or the new oil the dealer used or the clutch reset changed this, but its different. Overall I'm happy with the update. ...especially the takeoff from zero.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!