mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi,
I just called my Honda dealer and they order the clutch update and will take It In for the first service next week.
mike

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
You lucky dogs, lol I just need a few more parts to do mine. I just don't think many dealerships are gonna touch machine to do a clutch update with IGR in (short of driving to texas lol). But if I could find some one that could order the kit and parts covered through honda, I got a clutch, bearing and replacement cover I would give them for free lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi,
I just called my Honda dealer and they order the clutch update and will take It In for the first service next week.
mike
@mike48 did the dealer say it was on back order or anything? Update me if they do.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went in and spoke to the service manager at my dealer, (cycleworld athens,ga) and was told I need to bring the machine in for them to test drive it, and that based on that test drive it must be exhibiting signs of clutch failure or they will not do the upgrade.

I'm going to call southern honda where I got it and see if they have a different story.

H

HondaTech

You lucky dogs, lol I just need a few more parts to do mine. I just don't think many dealerships are gonna touch machine to do a clutch update with IGR in (short of driving to texas lol). But if I could find some one that could order the kit and parts covered through honda, I got a clutch, bearing and replacement cover I would give them for free lol.

No part of them doing the clutch update would show the IGR. Even if it did, that shouldn't change the fact that Honda is paying them to do the update. There's no part of the IGR that interferes with the update procedure.

H

HondaTech

Went in and spoke to the service manager at my dealer, (cycleworld athens,ga) and was told I need to bring the machine in for them to test drive it, and that based on that test drive it must be exhibiting signs of clutch failure or they will not do the upgrade.

I'm going to call southern honda where I got it and see if they have a different story.

This is an outright lie, they can't deny it because it's not slipping. I've done more that aren't exhibiting slipping clutches than I have with bad clutches. I'd call Honda on them.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is an outright lie, they can't deny it because it's not slipping. I've done more that aren't exhibiting slipping clutches than I have with bad clutches. I'd call Honda on them.
Whoa! Not all dealer ships are going to be as honest as yours is and you. There's always I bad apple the the bushel. Just need to know how to deal with them and call them on it. My Honda dealership has been great, except everything takes a week, even normal replacement parts??????????????????????????????????? I will never order tires from them again! Our anything I can get off the internet in three days. They drive me crazy! Is the Honda supply chain that slow? Its like they the dealerships, wait until Saturday to order and it, maybe comes in Tuesday morning????????????????????????? I'm sick of Honda!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
M

mcho

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2016
NW Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is not Honda is your dealer. Mark

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
No part of them doing the clutch update would show the IGR. Even if it did, that shouldn't change the fact that Honda is paying them to do the update. There's no part of the IGR that interferes with the update procedure.

I agree that generally it would not, but my cover wasn't cut sufficiently so to take the clutch out you must take the second cover
(SPACER ASSY., RR. COVER 11310-HL4-000) to remove the clutch.

advertisement
E

Erick

Lifetime Member
Apr 1, 2017
Rochester
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I guess my dealer is one of the lying ones. They just called me today and said after their inspection of my machine there was no evidence of slipping so Honda refused to give them the parts for the better upgrade kit. I had not experienced any slipping, but told them I wanted the better kit installed if it is intended to prevent a future clutch problem. They said, Honda told them that if there was no evidence of slipping by driving the machine or by fibers in the oil, Honda would not pay them for the replacement. It is sad to hear that many dealers ARE replacing the clutch and some, like my dealer(Cycle City,Rochester, MN) are not. I'm not sure what good the lesser kit does, which they are going to install, is supposed to do. Bummer

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
@mike48 did the dealer say it was on back order or anything? Update me if they do.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
no they didn't say just would call me when it came in.

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
sorry!
I will keep you posted by the way I didn't buy from them here in ga I got a better deal in SC but they are going to service it for me.
thanks mike48

CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives

Jun 10, 2017
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK so I just hung up with honda customer service, they say my dealer was correct, they mandate a test drive and confirmation of clutch slippage from the dealer before they will authorize the upgrade.
He went on to say the root cause of this is improper use, namely towing heavy loads in high range and climbing steep hills in high range, I didnt offer a retort, then he said the upgrade will expire in 2019 so if my machine exhibited signs of clutch slippage in that timeframe I would be eligible, after that me and my tranny are on our own.
End of conversation........

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's too funny the dealer down here did not say that they ask for the vin# and will call as soon the parts get in. " so go figure" well we will see what happens.
mike48

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I guess my dealer is one of the lying ones. They just called me today and said after their inspection of my machine there was no evidence of slipping so Honda refused to give them the parts for the better upgrade kit. I had not experienced any slipping, but told them I wanted the better kit installed if it is intended to prevent a future clutch problem. They said, Honda told them that if there was no evidence of slipping by driving the machine or by fibers in the oil, Honda would not pay them for the replacement. It is sad to hear that many dealers ARE replacing the clutch and some, like my dealer(Cycle City,Rochester, MN) are not. I'm not sure what good the lesser kit does, which they are going to install, is supposed to do. Bummer
I could tell you how to make them slip, HA!

Reactions: elkaholic
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's too funny the dealer down here did not say that they ask for the vin# and will call as soon the parts get in. " so go figure" well we will see what happens.
mike48
What year do you have?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK so I just hung up with honda customer service, they say my dealer was correct, they mandate a test drive and confirmation of clutch slippage from the dealer before they will authorize the upgrade.
He went on to say the root cause of this is improper use, namely towing heavy loads in high range and climbing steep hills in high range, I didnt offer a retort, then he said the upgrade will expire in 2019 so if my machine exhibited signs of clutch slippage in that timeframe I would be eligible, after that me and my tranny are on our own.
End of conversation........
Sounds like the CS rep still has the old script...and trust me, Honda CS reps are as full of s*** as anybody.

Go to page 2 of the service bulletin/Campaign files located on this site ( P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update! ). At the bottom right of the page it clearly states that the improved cover, ETC are to be installed even with no signs of slipping...

..."IN-SERVICE UNIT WITH REQUEST FOR PRODUCT IMPROVEMENT
Test drive the unit to check for a slipping No. 1 clutch.
If the clutch is slipping during acceleration from a stand-still, call TechLine for further instructions. •

If the clutch does not slip during acceleration from a stand-still, proceed to CLUTCH IMPROVEMENT KIT INSTALLATION"...

This is from Honda, not some minimum wage teen answering the phone at Honda CS. Could be that they are dealing with machines that are slipping 1st, which is understandable...but you still eventually get the update.

I'd find another dealer and try, since the one you visited is lying and can't be trusted. If the new dealer doesn't play ball, try another CS rep. Bring up the SB/update paperwork's wording. Go up the ladder until you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Last edited:
wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I called dealer and they ordered parts which have come in...now I just have to take it in to get upgrade.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!