Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like it! I'm in the lead for the moment, but I'm sure it won't last.
I started mine on New Year’s Day at -15, that’s about as cold as I expect to see in Missouri.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
C

Cruiser4270

Nov 1, 2017
N6G 4m7
Ownership

1. 700-4
I put a plow on my Pioneer 700 located in Northern Ontario and a few weeks ago it started at -37 Celsius about -35 F, we keep it in a non heated garage and it took about 2 minutes to get started but it went. Next issue was when I put it in gear it did not want to go I am not sure if it was the brakes or the transmission but with enough gas it let go in a hurry I am glad I had the garage door open.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a plow on my Pioneer 700 located in Northern Ontario and a few weeks ago it started at -37 Celsius about -35 F, we keep it in a non heated garage and it took about 2 minutes to get started but it went. Next issue was when I put it in gear it did not want to go I am not sure if it was the brakes or the transmission but with enough gas it let go in a hurry I am glad I had the garage door open.
You can’t beat that, -35 is cold. Too cold!!

I

Indyultra

Jul 13, 2017
Monroe
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What do you have to do if the fuel gels? Stay in Cadillac until it's warm again?
I've never heard of gasoline gelling before. Only diesel. Gas supposedly will freeze at about - 50 c.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

F

Flyingpig

Oct 29, 2015
Lowest temp sucessful start record?? would be interesting poll for below freezing rides.
I have found out that if you turn the key and start cranking it starts right away no matter how cold. If you turn key on and wait to hear fuel pump something freezes and it won’t start in below 0 temps.

danoudke

danoudke

Sep 16, 2017
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I noticed you flipped through the multi function display until you got to “LO”. Does that make a difference in below zero starting temps? I didn’t see anything in the owners manual referencing cold weather starting.

The reason I ask is I ran into a serious problem at a relatively balmy temp of -5F. I ice fished for only 2 hours when I was left stranded 4 miles offshore from my F-150. With a 10 mph breeze I tried to start my 2017 500’s engine. It turned over fine but wouldn’t start following every word in the owners manual instruction.....and the sun was setting fast, my cell was dead and nobody in sight. The plug was fine, full tank of fresh fuel, battery strong.

I was contemplating abandoning the 500 and hobbling (recent hip surgery), cold-to-the-bone, back to my truck. Fortunately I was able to flag down a distant Polaris ATV with my flashlight who towed me back. As luck would have it, the next day she fired right up in my unheated garage at 10 degrees.

It’s a bit ironic that the little Polaris towed me back since a few months earlier I sold my old Polaris Sportsman to gain legendary Honda reliability. I love my little Pioneer but can no longer trust her in cold temps which we have often in MN. All thoughts are appreciated.

9C47729E 77A8 4B64 B347 518A212BBD7C

D

Deleted member 3748

I noticed you flipped through the multi function display until you got to “LO”. Does that make a difference in below zero starting temps? I didn’t see anything in the owners manual referencing cold weather starting.

The reason I ask is I ran into a serious problem at a relatively balmy temp of -5F. I ice fished for only 2 hours when I was left stranded 4 miles offshore from my F-150. With a 10 mph breeze I tried to start my 2017 500’s engine. It turned over fine but wouldn’t start following every word in the owners manual instruction.....and the sun was setting fast, my cell was dead and nobody in sight. The plug was fine, full tank of fresh fuel, battery strong.

I was contemplating abandoning the 500 and hobbling (recent hip surgery), cold-to-the-bone, back to my truck. Fortunately I was able to flag down a distant Polaris ATV with my flashlight who towed me back. As luck would have it, the next day she fired right up in my unheated garage at 10 degrees.

It’s a bit ironic that the little Polaris towed me back since a few months earlier I sold my old Polaris Sportsman to gain legendary Honda reliability. I love my little Pioneer but can no longer trust her in cold temps which we have often in MN. All thoughts are appreciated.

View attachment 61592
I flipped through the display to Lo because I wanted to show that it was a cold start and not already warmed up. I didn't know the display read Lo when it was cold and I missed it the first time.

Some people have a cold start routine that involves the gas pedal and turning the key. It seems to work for people that have a problem like you described. I don't know the exact routine but I bet someone replies and tells us.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 61592
My 2016 has started at -5F numerous times without issue, my guess is you have some water in your fuel tank/system. Once the temperatures start fluctuating a lot in the fall keep the tank full so you don't have that much room for humid air in the tank, once the temp drops at night you reach dewpoint and any water in the air is now in the bottom of your tank. Also if using gasoline with ethanol in it loves water and the longer it sets around the more water it absorbs.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!