P1000m3 Cold weather starting

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So this past weekend I went out on the lake and did some ice fishing. Pioneer was in the trailer over night and the next morning couldn't start with out jump. And took 3 short starts before it started to run. Then needs to warm up for about 30 minutes before all the oils are warm enough to move the unit. The next morning same story. I'm extremely disappointed, since I bought the Pioneer to go ice fishing. Knowing I can't go spend the day on the ice without constantly starting it in cold temps is a huge let down. I tested it at - 12 and - 8 degrees.
How thin of oil can a guy put in the top try to help this situation? Or does anyone have any links relating to this topic?

X4Dice

X4Dice

Jun 3, 2016
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
So this past weekend I went out on the lake and did some ice fishing. Pioneer was in the trailer over night and the next morning couldn't start with out jump. And took 3 short starts before it started to run. Then needs to warm up for about 30 minutes before all the oils are warm enough to move the unit. The next morning same story. I'm extremely disappointed, since I bought the Pioneer to go ice fishing. Knowing I can't go spend the day on the ice without constantly starting it in cold temps is a huge let down. I tested it at - 12 and - 8 degrees.
How thin of oil can a guy put in the top try to help this situation? Or does anyone have any links relating to this topic?
That sucks, i am in northern Mn and at -5 I was able to move my machine after 10 min. I did not try it right away to test it but now I will. I was planing on taking it up Ice fishing to LOTW.

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ya, I'm not impressed. I want to go to devils but it will have to sit outside the whole time, so if it gets below zero anytime I'm there. I'm stuck.
I'm going to add a switch to allow the main battery to pull from the aux battery and hope that helps give the main battery more to pull from...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ridem32
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would put 5w30 in it if I was using mine in the winter, the Honda shops carry it in stock usually. They put that in Rincons and Rubicons for cold weather. Also, maybe different battery configurations as mentioned on this site.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had my machine up on the Denali Hwy in October where it was down to -15F. Arrived there on a Friday night. Didn't start the machine until around 11am the next morning. It cranked a little slow but took right off. Of course I started it before I even began un-strapping it from the trailer, so I can't speak to needing to wait for it to warm up before I could move it. I always start my machines well in advance of actually doing anything with them, unless they've been in the garage.

The next morning I also had no problem starting it to put it back on the trailer.

What I've experienced with Honda's is that they can be a little cold-blooded when first starting them.

As for your issue I'd definitely check all the grounds and also have your battery tested. If you are running accessories and also winch a lot and don't have a second battery I'd suggest installing one.

Edit: I was typing this when you posted about having a second battery.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
There are some youtube videos showing pouring oil at low temperatures. Some of them will not hardly pour out of the bottle. I would think once you start getting in -temps a synthetic 0w-30 might be best. And a block or oil heater if you could rig one up. I believe I read somewhere about the oil temp on clutch engagement so regardless of oil you might still have to wait for it to warm up. Big thing is your engine will live longer not having to pump molasses on startup.

Reactions: AKRider
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also another thing even with out a second battery your main battery might not be as healthy as you think it should be. I see it at work every time a get a batch of new fleet trucks. Because they sit at the dealership for who knows how long. Get fired up and moved in or out of the show room daily. But only running for a short period. They can siton the verge of being dead for a long time. And that will shorten the life of them tremendously

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't speak for the 1000, but that is one of the biggest complaints I have about my 700. If it says - on the thermometer, I'm in a world of trouble getting it to start. You might be on to something about the battery and that is why I was thinking the Blue Sea Mini Add a Battery Kit. It comes with a charging relay and a switch that can be turned to hook the 2 batteries up together. I'm running Rotella T6 5W-40 in mind and can't say that it helps much on start up, but after CP's problems I don't know if I would recommend it for the 1000 anyways. Like snuffnwhisky, I am looking at putting a inline coolant heater on mine to see if it helps, but that won't help you on the ice.

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The main problem is their is 6 quarts of oil in these and what must be a small starter that can't move that much oil when it's cold. Some sort of 12v block heater would need to be added to aid in starting....

Reactions: Ridem32
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They make stick-on 12volt oil pan heaters, shouldn't be hard to rig one up. Not sure how you can be disappointed in the Pioneer when you are using it in extreme conditions in stock form, modifications will have to be made.

advertisement
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
so all Honda vehicle owners need to modify their vehicles if they are going into colder climates....;)
the only problem I see is that it needs a much larger starter to turn over the engine when the oil is that cold. if it cold turn it over 40 times it would start and run...that's all I'm saying. I will be looking into options to cure this problem, if not... it may need to go down the road.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so all Honda vehicle owners need to modify their vehicles if they are going into colder climates....;)
the only problem I see is that it needs a much larger starter to turn over the engine when the oil is that cold. if it cold turn it over 40 times it would start and run...that's all I'm saying. I will be looking into options to cure this problem, if not... it may need to go down the road.

I do not have my dual battery setup configured where I can use both to start my machine. I intentionally have it isolated so my main battery is never used for anything that isn't stock on the machine so I never kill the battery that starts it. Read my post from earlier. I had no problem starting mine at -15F after it sat all night in temps that could have well been below that. If you can crank it 40 times it should start. I would have the dealer check it out. It might need a tune up.

Reactions: Eltobgi
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It wouldn't fully turn over more than once, then the stater just clicks

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The dealer here recommends 5w30 in winter. Mine started the other morning at 15 below after setting all night

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It wouldn't fully turn over more than once, then the stater just clicks

Ok, you're all over the place on this. First it was turning over 40 times, then it wont turn over more than once. From what you have now posted, a larger starter isn't going to fix this. You either have a poorly performing battery, a grounding issue, a short that draining your battery, etc. I'd have the battery tested any auto parts store. They'll do it for free.

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would have your battery tested. It sounds like you might have a shorted cell or something.

Agreed. I can't see Honda putting a low-torque starter on these things, but I could see a faulty battery making it through quality check or one that may not handle cold temperatures as well as others.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!