Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It wouldn't fully turn over more than once, then the stater just clicks

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
@RyanOrange3 looks like you are using an aftermarket battery as well...
IMG 6070

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
May I recommend...
IMG 3883
It allows you to combine your batteries and it will kill all power to your Rig just in case there is a draw coming from somewhere...&
IMG 3892
You'll be glad you did!

With both of these I guarantee your problems will be gone...happy fishing!;)

C

caddyman

Not saying this will cure any problems but i am a true believer in using battery tenders. Especially in the winter and extensive winch use. The computer is always drawing something off the battery as well. I would agree there is probably an issue with the battery or something else. Amsoil has 0W-40 oil. The 0W is supposed to work in place of anything calling for 10W rating. I used in my previous Grizzly 700 and had no issues and better cold weather starts. Not sure if you can use this type of oil in the pioneer. For the record I am not an amsoil dealer nor affiliated with them. Below is link to info on oil

Formula 4-Stroke Power Sports Synthetic Motor Oil

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not saying this will cure any problems but i am a true believer in using battery tenders. Especially in the winter and extensive winch use. The computer is always drawing something off the battery as well. I would agree there is probably an issue with the battery or something else. Amsoil has 0W-40 oil. The 0W is supposed to work in place of anything calling for 10W rating. I used in my previous Grizzly 700 and had no issues and better cold weather starts. Not sure if you can use this type of oil in the pioneer. For the record I am not an amsoil dealer nor affiliated with them. Below is link to info on oil

I'll look into this, thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree with the Battery Tender comment. I think keeping the battery "smart charged" is healthy for them.

Reactions: Ridem32 and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I keep a battery tender on all my machines year-round, and they are stored in the garage.

Reactions: Ridem32 and Manwell
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Just a heads up too for the guys that might not know it but a battery that isn't fully charged can freeze too. So if it hasn't been started or charged in a while it could be low from the computer draw

Reactions: JTW
RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just wanted to post what the Amsoil technicians said in response to what oils are recommended for the HONDA Pioneers....

AMSOIL recommendations for the 2016 Pioneer 1000 are:

· Motor: ATV/UTV 10W-40 Motor Oil (AUV40) approx. 5.8 qts.

· The secondary recommendation is Formula 4-stroke 0W-40 (AFF)

· Transmission: ATV/UTV 10W-40 Motor Oil (AUV40) approx. 1.26 qts.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have further comments or concerns, please contact us again.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

Now the info is listed for anyone that comes across this.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my limited experience
-25 no way (have to jump off my 17 YO power stroke which is GTG)
-14 kinda way ( a wiff of either helps)
0 every time no problem

Stock battery

Edit Sitting cold all night inside and outside

advertisement
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another quick thought on cold weather starting. Last year my wife's CRV suddenly quit being easy to start when outside temps dipped into the very low teens. We are off grid so no block heaters. Her Honda went from not an issue to start to "better get the jumper cables" overnight. After puzzling over this for a few days (and really getting tired of cranky starts) I started the what have you changed, if anything analysis. The answer was my wife started using a higher octane grade gas (less volatile) because it would be better in cold weather. We switched back to the cheapest grade and problem solved. It starts reluctantly down to -25 now.

I fuel my P1000 from locally pumped ethanol free hi test that goes in everything non automotive that I am betting makes it harder to start in cold weather.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two more, completely disappointing starting days for me. Yesterday -2.5f* P1000 sat in unheated interior storage, for three, days. 45 minutes to start with adequate amperage to crank supplied with an alternate source. For reference, my diesel bobcat started with no problems that morning.This morning -12f* but ran all day yesterday so it was put to bed with a fully charged battery, another 45 minute ordeal. It sucks to have made a $20k plus investment to provide cold weather service that is such a complete failure in cold weather.I have a friend that used to work at Honda R&D in Torrance CA and am familiar with what standards that Honda (used to?) sets.I think the starter has inadequate cranking torque for the oil quantity and viscosity at these temps. If I keep this nonstarter (pun intended) I'm stock up on spare starters thats for sure. A business tool is now just a toy ; (

Reactions: Ridem32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I would just get a larger CCA for your type of weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Two more, completely disappointing starting days for me. Yesterday -2.5f* P1000 sat in unheated interior storage, for three, days. 45 minutes to start with adequate amperage to crank supplied with an alternate source. For reference, my diesel bobcat started with no problems that morning.This morning -12f* but ran all day yesterday so it was put to bed with a fully charged battery, another 45 minute ordeal. It sucks to have made a $20k plus investment to provide cold weather service that is such a complete failure in cold weather.I have a friend that used to work at Honda R&D in Torrance CA and am familiar with what standards that Honda (used to?) sets.I think the starter has inadequate cranking torque for the oil quantity and viscosity at these temps. If I keep this nonstarter (pun intended) I'm stock up on spare starters thats for sure. A business tool is now just a toy ; (
Bigger battery, dual batterys, or a block heater might help.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bigger battery, dual batterys, or a block heater might help.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Dual batteries are coming for sure. A block heater isn't of much use to me if I have to leave my P1k on a remote trailhead overnight rather than trailer it back to a warm shop. I made a mistake by assuming this Honda was engineered as well as my wifes car. My last two described starting attempts were with the starter having all the cranking amps it needed. I literally could have cranked it until the starter motor burnt out. It just can not seem to achieve the proper rpms to start when cold. Deeply disappointed. I discussed with my dealer, and he mentioned lower viscosity oil but didn't seem too sure. Changing from a winter oil to a summer oil is kinda like the 60s called and want their design tech back to me. My last hope is to go with a lower grade fuel.

Reactions: Corona1 and Ridem32
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some success! Mixed about 1/2 regular pump gas (with the ethanol free premium in the tank) and she fired right up, at,-4.7f* this AM. Time for road patrol after yesterday's blizzard so I can get an idea of how many 1000s of cubic yards of snow need to be moved today.

:)

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was the 1/2 regular pump gas ethanol or non ethanol?

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
E
Was the 1/2 regular pump gas ethanol or non ethanol?

ethanol.........had the same experience with my wifes CRV then she ran non ethanol premium. im guessing premium is not volatile enough at low temperatures. Thanks EPA.

Reactions: Corona1
mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As has been said before on this and many forums... higher octane gas is a waste of money on engines that don't specifically require it. Higher octane gas only means it withstands higher compression before detonation without spark. Whomever came up with the term "premium" for high octane should be drawn and quartered. High compression engines require high octane gas or they will experience pre-ignition detonation (knock). 87 octane gas is recommended for the P1000 (possibly even lower at high altitude).

the term "premium" SHOULD be used to describe ethanol-free gas, no matter the octane rating.. but sadly that's not the case.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree 100% I keep a supply of ethanol free around for gensets, welder, chainsaws etc. Unfortunately it is only available in premium. At 9000'ASL we get by with lower octane. Lesson learned......again.
As has been said before on this and many forums... higher octane gas is a waste of money on engines that don't specifically require it. Higher octane gas only means it withstands higher compression before detonation without spark. Whomever came up with the term "premium" for high octane should be drawn and quartered. High compression engines require high octane gas or they will experience pre-ignition detonation (knock). 87 octane gas is recommended for the P1000 (possibly even lower at high altitude).

the term "premium" SHOULD be used to describe ethanol-free gas, no matter the octane rating.. but sadly that's not the case.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!