P1000 combining switches?

DawgU

DawgU

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2022
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to add two rock lights from Harbor Freight as dome lights. I have a Forest Edition that has separate switches for the footwell and rear cargo lights. Seems silly to me to dedicate separate switches for that, and I'd like to put new dome lights, footwell, and cargo lights all on one switch (and use either the footwell or cargo light switch to do that). Will that work? I read that the rock lights I plan to use are rated at 4.4 watts each.

Reactions: TxDoc
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I want to add two rock lights from Harbor Freight as dome lights. I have a Forest Edition that has separate switches for the footwell and rear cargo lights. Seems silly to me to dedicate separate switches for that, and I'd like to put new dome lights, footwell, and cargo lights all on one switch (and use either the footwell or cargo light switch to do that). Will that work? I read that the rock lights I plan to use are rated at 4.4 watts each.
You might smoke the switch if relays aren't provided/used. Really depends on the total draw.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depends on the total wattage of the lights added together.

The HF lights...4.4/12=.36 amps each.

A good quality 20 amp switch could run 20/.36= over 50 of those lights.

Divide your total watts by the voltage and you'll get amp or current draw

I have 8 rock lights on a switch with no where near any problems.

If you have a very big light bar, you can use a relay, a switch within a switch, that when as switch is turned on activates current to be drawn straight from the battery, thru the relay, and not thru the switch.

Is that kinda what you're asking?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Don't rely on what's printed on a box or listed on a product page when it comes to wattage, especially with larger LED lights. More often than not, they over-exaggerate performance just to make the sale - kinda like @TripleB does 🤣

Put a multimeter on it and measure yourself.

With such low draw lights like what he is asking about, I see no issue.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't rely on what's printed on a box or listed on a product page when it comes to wattage, especially with larger LED lights. More often than not, they over-exaggerate performance just to make the sale - kinda like @TripleB does

Put a multimeter on it and measure yourself.

With such low draw lights like what he is asking about, I see no issue.
When you do that and question a seller on eBay or Amazon about the validity/accuracy of their claims.... crickets usually result

DawgU

DawgU

Lifetime Member
Dec 20, 2022
Oakland TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Depends on the total wattage of the lights added together.

The HF lights...4.4/12=.36 amps each.

A good quality 20 amp switch could run 20/.36= over 50 of those lights.

I have 8 rock lights on a switch with no where near any problems.

If you have a very big light bar, you can use a relay, a switch within a switch, that when as switch is turned on activates current to be drawn straight from the battery, thru the relay, and not thru the switch.

Is that kinda what you're asking?

Any idea how many amps either of the two factory installed switches can handle? I only want the footwell, cargo and dome lights on one of those switches. Will use other switches for lightbars. Just seems stupid to use up part of the limited switch space for all of what could be considered "interior" lights

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Any idea how many amps either of the two factory installed switches can handle? I only want the footwell, cargo and dome lights on one of those switches. Will use other switches for lightbars. Just seems stupid to use up part of the limited switch space for all of what could be considered "interior" lights
If you can pull the switch, it should have voltage and associated amperage ratings printed on the side of the body.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On edit...

Scoop just helped you . I didn't know Honda switches did that.

I don't have any experience with the Honda-sourced switches are rated for.

I bet someone on the forum surely does.... stand by to be amazed.

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The factory accessory switches are rated at 3 amps. I used the extra one on my 23 trail for flood lights with a relay. You should be able to tie that circuit together, but measure the amp draw first just to be safe.

advertisement
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
The footwell light in your machine is LED and can't draw much. I have the Honda overhead light combined with the front footwell light on the same factory switch. This combo works well. Honda Tech did the install.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!