P700 Considering a 700

S

Sqdqo

Oct 19, 2019
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm considering a 700 deluxe for hunting and utility use. I dont feel I need the power of the 1000 and prefer the smaller dimension of the 700. My biggest question with 700 though is low end power with no low range. I travel back roads & trails and routinely encounter logs, rocks, and holes where I generally shift my atv into low range. It crawls over and through with generally no issue. My main concern is whether the 700 has adequate low end torque to manage these types of obstacles. Can some of you experienced users offer your opinions on this?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It would work just fine for that just won't have much speed on the back roads

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from another Michigander!!

The 700 should work great for what you described in the terrain you travel.

@Mudwing and @Russ989 could comment much more about the capabilities of the 700.

[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]

G3Duck

G3Duck

Jan 29, 2019
Clarksville Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use my 700-4D for activities just as you've described. Mostly duck hunting. For me, it's a tool not a recreation vehicle.
Most of the time I have the transmission in auto but it seldom gets out of 1st gear. I had a Rincon prior to the 700 but
I needed space to haul stuff. The Rincon had the Big Red gear change so it improved low end performance.
The 700 does fine. While it might "grunt" a little it still has plenty of torque for the job.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm considering a 700 deluxe for hunting and utility use. I dont feel I need the power of the 1000 and prefer the smaller dimension of the 700. My biggest question with 700 though is low end power with no low range. I travel back roads & trails and routinely encounter logs, rocks, and holes where I generally shift my atv into low range. It crawls over and through with generally no issue. My main concern is whether the 700 has adequate low end torque to manage these types of obstacles. Can some of you experienced users offer your opinions on this?
Go for it, from what you described I think the 700 will do great for you. I’d like for mine to have a low range at times but that’s only when I’m Trail riding. I put 90 miles on mine at Windrock and only had a power issue once, we were going up trail 22 and I had two passengers in with me going up hill climbing over some big rocks, all I had to do was back up a little and get some momentum and it marched right over them. Here in Missouri I’ve never had an issue.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
plenty of low end, you can clear 27s and seems to me be designed for it, didnt feel any loss of low end and gained some high, i normally cruise 30-40 on the road. just because the gears are so low thats what feels comfortable. hauls heavy wood trailer i built for tractor that my 700 rhino a had issues hauling in the spring and snow, with the honda very easy. would get the 1000 if you want to be able to go faster than that

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 700 has several mountain rides under it's belt .It will do fine for you , I run 27s and I have 0 complaints , unless you need high speeds you should be more than happy. Pius you can only go so fast on the trails

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2

This is my 700 deluxe with 27 tires and can am shocks . Even though I had to wench you can see just how tough they are .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's an excellent 700 video , they are a great do it all , but you had elevator music playing or your taking relaxing to a whole new level.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
2E249243 8B0B 4230 B353 44CCF582E1E8
The 7hundo is a badass machine. :cool:
I use mine for trail riding and around the house. It does well in all areas. Towing, hauling, pushing, pulling. Damn near climb a wall if you let it with the diff lock. Whatever you need it to do. Just know she’s a unique beast. It’s got the 3 speed plus torque converter you gotta get used to it. Once you do, it’s a really nice ride. Easy to drive. There’s two transmission modes through the gas pedal. Ease it in and she’ll shift to second gear around 13MPH. Drop the hammer and it shifts to second around 18 or 19 MPH.
36 HP seems low to me. She pulls hard when you give it. I’ve plucked a gang of quads from the mud and hauled all kinds of things.
Her bed is king sized. Throw just about anything you want to carry in it.
Real tough machine and some say bulletproof, especially the red ones.
Everything has it’s limitations. If you don’t want extra the power the 7hundo is where it’s at.
At about 1300 miles and mine’s already paid for itself. :cool:
Bonus with the P7 is around XXX miles she really wakes up. ;)
[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 162010 The 7hundo is a badass machine. :cool:
I use mine for trail riding and around the house. It does well in all areas. Towing, hauling, pushing, pulling. Damn near climb a wall if you let it with the diff lock. Whatever you need it to do. Just know she’s a unique beast. It’s got the 3 speed plus torque converter you gotta get used to it. Once you do, it’s a really nice ride. Easy to drive. There’s two transmission modes through the gas pedal. Ease it in and she’ll shift to second gear around 13MPH. Drop the hammer and it shifts to second around 18 or 19 MPH.
36 HP seems low to me. She pulls hard when you give it. I’ve plucked a gang of quads from the mud and hauled all kinds of things.
Everything has it’s limitations. If you don’t want extra the power the 7hundo is where it’s at.
[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]
Well said , good pic

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 162010 The 7hundo is a badass machine. :cool:
[HASHTAG]#NTC[/HASHTAG]
Well said!

M

MKULTRA

Account Closed
Account Self Deleted
Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2019
IA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree with the other fellas. I also mostly use mine for work. I agree with some of the others as I too would like a “low range”, but it’s really not necessary as the 700 has plenty of grunt & power.

Last winter the county cut trees down along our road. We burn wood & I couldn’t pass up the opportunity for free, easy firewood. These trees were live/green & ranged anywhere from 12”- 24” diameter & anywhere from 6’- 20’ long. These trees were in road ditches up to 6’ deep that had up to 2’ of wet snow in them. I pulled around 30 of those trees up outa the ditches & a mile or so home with my 700. Granted, there were a few good yanks & jolts & some were probably too big to mess with. I don’t feel I abused the 700, but she got heavily used. That same winter we got heavy wet snows & she pushed every bit of it, also with the occasional jars & jolts & the occasional “whoopsy grind”, shifting from drive to reverse too fast. Again heavily used, but not really abused.

The only thing i think it could use is a 4th gear. The 700 will do 45 before the rev limiter will kick in, but a comfortable speed that I usually travel in is 30 to 35 miles an hour. I feel like a 4th gear would lower the rpms, as to me anything above 35 sounds like its wound up pretty tight. It’d be nice to have a tachometer also. But ya can’t have it all.

If you were looking for an all-around good, reliable workhorse and more than capable off-road machine, the 700 is it.

This isn’t a very good pic, & I should got one of the big loads I pulled, but ya get the idea. Welcome & Let us know if ya pull the trigger & get one. This forum is a great place to be a part of!

674AB480 3514 449B A935 6C67049679FF

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with the other fellas. I also mostly use mine for work. I agree with some of the others as I too would like a “low range”, but it’s really not necessary as the 700 has plenty of grunt & power.

Last winter the county cut trees down along our road. We burn wood & I couldn’t pass up the opportunity for free, easy firewood. These trees were live/green & ranged anywhere from 12”- 24” diameter & anywhere from 6’- 20’ long. These trees were in road ditches up to 6’ deep that had up to 2’ of wet snow in them. I pulled around 30 of those trees up outa the ditches & a mile or so home with my 700. Granted, there were a few good yanks & jolts & some were probably too big to mess with. I don’t feel I abused the 700, but she got heavily used. That same winter we got heavy wet snows & she pushed every bit of it, also with the occasional jars & jolts & the occasional “whoopsy grind”, shifting from drive to reverse too fast. Again heavily used, but not really abused.

The only thing i think it could use is a 4th gear. The 700 will do 45 before the rev limiter will kick in, but a comfortable speed that I usually travel in is 30 to 35 miles an hour. I feel like a 4th gear would lower the rpms, as to me anything above 35 sounds like its wound up pretty tight. It’d be nice to have a tachometer also. But ya can’t have it all.

If you were looking for an all-around good, reliable workhorse and more than capable off-road machine, the 700 is it.

This isn’t a very good pic, & I should got one of the big loads I pulled, but ya get the idea. Welcome & Let us know if ya pull the trigger & get one. This forum is a great place to be a part of!

View attachment 162047
Very nice machine, man. :cool:
That wound up noise is the big single. ;) Give it to her hard, she likes it.:D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!