Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
California is so goofed up I wonder why anyone would want it.
Actually I was raised in San Diego, back in the 60's I thought California was cool. Far less population then, you could be in Tijuana in 30 minutes, (back when it was actually safe and enjoyable to do so) the beech in 20 minutes, the Sierra Nevada mountains in 45 minutes, and the desert in 90 minutes. It was very cool growing up there.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
So there was an old lady walking through the woods (blue bandana in the photo) that said she lived not too far away, alone. We were asking her if she new the history of this church and she said that the original structure, that being the portion with the bell tower, was built during the Spanish land grant days, or pre 1828 when Mexico won their independence from Spain. The addition from the early 1900's. She also said that for about 5 years squatters were living in it, thus the newish stove pipe coming out of the addition. She also told us that it was a sect of the Catholic Church that practiced self flagellance, and there is a shrine (that I forgot to take a picture of) a couple hundred feet distant that they would drag a cross to and perform their penance. The two oldest cities in North America, both founded by the Spanish, St Augustine Florida 1565 and Santa Fe New Mexico, 1609.
Thanks for sharing Monte! I love history. If folks in our country paid more attention to history, we would be less likely to repeat the same mistakes made by us and other countries around the world.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for sharing Monte! I love history. If folks in our country paid more attention to history, we would be less likely to repeat the same mistakes made by us and other countries around the world.
You bet ct, I agree and I share your interest in history. The Santa Fe trail lies just a few miles from my property and the ruins of Ft Union, built in 1850 to protect the trail is just 20 miles north, out on the plains, standing there like a ghost.

Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Actually I was raised in San Diego, back in the 60's I thought California was cool. Far less population then, you could be in Tijuana in 30 minutes, (back when it was actually safe and enjoyable to do so) the beech in 20 minutes, the Sierra Nevada mountains in 45 minutes, and the desert in 90 minutes. It was very cool growing up there.

You are so right Monte! California used to be an awesome place. It's still a beautiful state but has just gone downhill in so many ways...
I imagine like a lot of other places in our beautiful United States of America.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You are so right Monte! California used to be an awesome place. It's still a beautiful state but has just gone downhill in so many ways...
I imagine like a lot of other places in our beautiful United States of America.
Yep, it remains one of the prettiest states in the union, almost certainly the most diverse. But liberalism is ruining it in so many ways, and a failed immigration policy that can be blamed on both parties sense neither have ever secured our border. When I was a kid growing up, illegal immigrants (that we unwittingly called wetbacks) made themselves scarce. You might see them living in a shack on a ranchers property doing menial labor. Now, they operate in the open with impunity. They no longer just take jobs that American's don't like, they are finding employment in all areas, and businesses aren't punished for hiring them like they should be. I would think that the area you're located in is not as affected by this as Southern California.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
J

JTW

So there was an old lady walking through the woods (blue bandana in the photo) that said she lived not too far away, alone. We were asking her if she new the history of this church and she said that the original structure, that being the portion with the bell tower, was built during the Spanish land grant days, or pre 1828 when Mexico won their independence from Spain. The addition from the early 1900's. She also said that for about 5 years squatters were living in it, thus the newish stove pipe coming out of the addition. She also told us that it was a sect of the Catholic Church that practiced self flagellance, and there is a shrine (that I forgot to take a picture of) a couple hundred feet distant that they would drag a cross to and perform their penance. The two oldest cities in North America, both founded by the Spanish, St Augustine Florida 1565 and Santa Fe New Mexico, 1609.
Very cool!

J

JTW

That explains a lot actually!! You grew up in California in the 60's...yup that's it! Lol

advertisement
J

JTW

Yep, it remains one of the prettiest states in the union, almost certainly the most diverse. But liberalism is ruining it in so many ways, and a failed immigration policy that can be blamed on both parties sense neither have ever secured our border. When I was a kid growing up, illegal immigrants (that we unwittingly called wetbacks) made themselves scarce. You might see them living in a shack on a ranchers property doing menial labor. Now, they operate in the open with impunity. They no longer just take jobs that American's don't like, they are finding employment in all areas, and businesses aren't punished for hiring them like they should be. I would think that the area you're located in is not as affected by this as Southern California.
Well said my friend!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That explains a lot actually!! You grew up in California in the 60's...yup that's it! Lol
Got the hell out. :eek:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not the old ones but the new Mexicans... duhhh!
I don't think you understand its history or its politics.

Reactions: lee
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
@JTW i'm picking up what you're throwing down. You operate on expert level in sarcasm. And @Montecresto i also very much enjoy your history lesson(s). Funny how it's far more interesting as a adult sized child than as an actual child when you first learn of these type of things. Couldn't understand why anyone enjoyed the history channel when I was a kid, and now I can almost always find a reason to watch it.:)

J

JTW

@JTW i'm picking up what you're throwing down. You operate on expert level in sarcasm. And @Montecresto i also very much enjoy your history lesson(s). Funny how it's far more interesting as a adult sized child than as an actual child when you first learn of these type of things. Couldn't understand why anyone enjoyed the history channel when I was a kid, and now I can almost always find a reason to watch it.:)
Lol.. I'm really quite shy in person! :rolleyes:

Yeah.. it's just a shame it's not history on it.. it's mostly reality shows and garbage!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!