P500 Cool find

J

JTW

True, though late at night theres sometimes some actual history on there. Same goes for discovery channel..however, just the info sometimes is fascinating.
Yeah.. I occasionally see an old modern marvels or how's it made.. mysteries at the museum is good too.. but I don't think it's on history

Reactions: Shadesmn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@JTW i'm picking up what you're throwing down. You operate on expert level in sarcasm. And @Montecresto i also very much enjoy your history lesson(s). Funny how it's far more interesting as a adult sized child than as an actual child when you first learn of these type of things. Couldn't understand why anyone enjoyed the history channel when I was a kid, and now I can almost always find a reason to watch it.:)
You bet buddy. I'm the unusual one that even liked history as a kid, it was my favorite subject in school. And one of my great interests in New Mexico is its expansive history, and the fact that it is the one US state that's still governed by Hispanics in their tradition. It is also the state of New Mexico and the city of Santa Fe in particular that is responsible for one of Americas greatest commercial highways, the Santa Fe trail, in which an estimated 50 billion dollars worth of trade between the United States and Spain/Mexico was conducted during its lifetime. An astute mountain man/beaver trapper named William Becknell observed that the city of Santa Fe was both sorely lacking in goods, tools, and merchandise readily available in the United States, and had themselves trade goods not readily available in the United States. He decided that a handsome business could be had in trade between the two and in 1821 he opened the Santa Fe trail between Kansas City, the westernmost US city at the time and Santa Fe, through harsh arid landscape bounding with hostile Indians. This trail operated until the coming of the railroad in 1878. That's today's lesson, lol.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
True, though late at night theres sometimes some actual history on there. Same goes for discovery channel..however, just the info sometimes is fascinating.
Late at night, best time for the history channel.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kit Carson, a big name in New Mexico. He was a trapper, mountain man, guide for the US army during westward expansion, first Pony express rider, Indian fighter and then agent for the Indians after they were placed on the reservation. He married a Hispanic woman from Santa Fe and settled in Taos, after a short lived experiment with ranching near Cimmaron. His house in Taos is a museum operated by the Masons and he's buried in the Taos cemetery.

Reactions: cthack and JTW
J

JTW

Kit Carson, a big name in New Mexico. He was a trapper, mountain man, guide for the US army during westward expansion, first Pony express rider, Indian fighter and then agent for the Indians after they were placed on the reservation. He married a Hispanic woman from Santa Fe and settled in Taos, after a short lived experiment with ranching near Cimmaron. His house in Taos is a museum operated by the Masons and he's buried in the Taos cemetery.
He was a tough SOB!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When the railroad replaced the Santa Fe trail, an easterner named Fred Harvey traveled west on it all the way to California and figured that it needed hotels along the way. So he hooked up with the railroad to build Harvey hotels, track side along its duration. The first Harvey Hotel, and prototype was built in Las Vegas, the la Castaneda in 1898. He introduced Harvy Girls, and the refrigerated box car that delivered fresh food from back east all along the Santa Fe railroad at all the hotels he built. So travelers would exit the train, have a hotel and diner with foods they were use to back east. The Harvy girls became very popular. The first Harvey hotel, la Castaneda closed in the 1960's and has sat vacant ever since, but recently a philanthropist purchased it and is presently restoring it. I've been touring it throughout this process and it will be opened late next year. On one tour, my wife and I met two Harvey girls, twins, now in their 90's that worked there in the 1950's. President Teddy Roosevelt had his first Rough Riders reunion at the la Castaneda in 1901, the same Rough Riders that he had formed in Las Vegas (NM) to go to Cuba to fight in the Spanish American war. President Truman was the last president to stay at the la Castaneda before it closed.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Las Vegas New Mexico was founded as a stop on the Santa Fe trail in the late 1820's because it was a crossing of the Gillinas river and watering hole for the wagon trains. The plaza, still standing tall with the oldest building built in 1836, the building that General Kearny stood upon the roof of in 1848 to announce to the residence that the New Mexico territory was now part of the United States at the conclusion of the Mexican American war was once the biggest city in the American southwest, even dwarfing Santa Fe. Today, it's the historical pride of New Mexico even though it's just a city of 15,000, now dwarfed by Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It was passed by Route 66 which became its nemesis, but remains a beautiful historic New Mexico City.

Reactions: cthack
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Here I am with the twin sisters, original Harvey girls in the kitchen of the la Castaneda hotel.

Last edited:
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My wife and I bought a building built in 1890 by Rapp and Rapp architects from Chicago and restored it for our third office in Las Vegas New Mexico. This building is on the historical registry, and was a Gordon's Jewelry store from 1947 until 2010

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is what the interior looked like when I bought it

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I belive that came off the ranch we hunt of Turners.. Vermejo
It is in fact just south of TT's ranch. But it was donated (104,000 acres) to the BSA by oil baron Waite Phillips.

Last edited:
I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
He was a tough SOB!!
Another tough SOB was Ben Lily, a lion and bear hunter in western New Mexico and eastern Arizona in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Google his name...great story.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!