Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Someone needs to test the Red Line. I'm not sure how.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
These additives will possibly help a vehicle that is running hot. We have thermostats that will keep the temp where the engineers want it to be.

These products claim to reduce temp by 20° and they may do so but your engine would first need to be 20° over the stat rating.

If someone wants to test it, use a infrared thermometer and read the same location each time you perform the test. You would need to get the engine to operating temperature and run it very hard to try to make it get really hot and and then you'd want to do the exact same thing again with the additive.

A good location to test the temperature could be on a flat surface on the radiator.

This is interesting enough and cheap enough that I may try it sometime.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
These additives will possibly help a vehicle that is running hot. We have thermostats that will keep the temp where the engineers want it to be.

These products claim to reduce temp by 20° and they may do so but your engine would first need to be 20° over the stat rating.

If someone wants to test it, use a infrared thermometer and read the same location each time you perform the test. You would need to get the engine to operating temperature and run it very hard to try to make it get really hot and and then you'd want to do the exact same thing again with the additive.

A good location to test the temperature could be on a flat surface on the radiator.

This is interesting enough and cheap enough that I may try it sometime.
There's nothing better
than 50/50 antifreeze
Your thermostat controls the engine
temp....and mine does a great job

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Anyone doing there's soon?Just
I would like to request some clear pictures of the different steps involved so I can build a how too.
Just did my Honda 2014 foreman 500. Same motor as p500. I removed the bottom bolt at the water pump cover and removed radiator cap.Flushed with distilled water. Had a little bit of bad stuff come out when flushing. Also drained overflow tank and replaced sealing washer on the water pump cover. I know the P500 has a in line air bleed bolt and sealing washer. Trying to figure out how to do that part.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Owners manual is a guide...
as a experienced rider
you should know your
machine...I drive in very
dusty conditions. ..so my
maintenance is more often
on cleaning air filter & changing
of oil....

Reactions: trigger
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Talked to a Honda tech. and he was saying to open the bleed screw ,fill fluid until it comes out and then close screw.Pretty much common sense.

Reactions: Montecresto
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I pretty much stopped changing/flushing my cars 25 years ago. There's pretty much always some type of service that ends up needing done that requires the system be drained anyway. Can't say I've ever had a problem that I could blame on not doing it. I typically drive about 25,000/year. That said I wouldn't let it go more than 5-6 years.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I pretty much stopped changing/flushing my cars 25 years ago. There's pretty much always some type of service that ends up needing done that requires the system be drained anyway. Can't say I've ever had a problem that I could blame on not doing it. I typically drive about 25,000/year. That said I wouldn't let it go more than 5-6 years.
I hear ya' 45...but then I end up asking myself if that's why the water pump went out or heater core started puking.
May have had nothing to do with it but...o_O

Reactions: JTW and Montecresto
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I go 5 yrs
on all coolant......
never had a problem

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Once again...the manual is a
.....GUIDE.....
Common Sense
Needed

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I hear ya' 45...but then I end up asking myself if that's why the water pump went out or heater core started puking.
Exactly, the manufacturer of the product says that it begins to break down at two years, this is why Honda and others recommend replacing it at those intervals. It's not a difficult task nor expensive.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Manufacturer wants you to buy
3 yrs before needed
COMMON SENSE
I been doing this long enough
to know....
Anti Freeze 50/50
=5 yrs

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

Living in communist Illinois with all it's road salt pretty much guarantees a new radiator every 150,000 miles or so. My old Explorer had 205,000 miles on it when I finally replaced the water pump. And then only because it was convenient as the radiator and air coils rotted through from the outside. Never lost a heater core that was less than 20 years old. My old 77 Chevy van's heater core made it 30 plus years. My never vehicles with timing belts that are changed every 60,000 or so miles typically get a water pump while it's easy. Basically the coolant rarely goes more than 5 years without some excuse to change it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm curious why you would change your coolant? Thanks
From "Car Talk"

Should coolant be changed on recommended intervals?
Yes. Draining out the coolant and refilling the system removes dirt and rust particles that can clog up the cooling system and cause problems in winter and summer.

Why do I have to do this?
Because it is operating in a hot, hostile environment, coolant will break down over time. Most importantly, the coolant's rust inhibitors get used up, leaving the small cooling passages in your engine and radiator vulnerable to corrosion. Even with these rust inhibitors, some corrosion will inevitably take place, contaminating the coolant with debris.

Reactions: Eltobgi
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
From "Car Talk"

Yes. Draining out the coolant and refilling the system removes dirt and rust particles that can clog up the cooling system and cause problems in winter and summer.

Because it is operating in a hot, hostile environment, coolant will break down over time. Most importantly, the coolant's rust inhibitors get used up, leaving the small cooling passages in your engine and radiator vulnerable to corrosion. Even with these rust inhibitors, some corrosion will inevitably take place, contaminating the coolant with debris.
Yeah, I remember having skin floating in the reservoir back in the day. Something happens to it.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't need some Talk Radio
Dude,,,,,to tell me....There's a
visual overflow ...which holds
your antifreeze. .if the color is
good....it's good
I'd rather ride...than
change fluids cause some
dude says so...I'll decide
my way worked for 40
yrs...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, I remember having skin floating in the reservoir back in the day. Something happens to it.
Yeah, I've seen that before too.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Now days most people use premix antifreeze which is usually a good thing. I always used distilled water when mixing and always drained any tap water out. Water quality varies greatly around the country. The company I work for uses aluminum water tanks on many of their trucks. Typically the tanks last the life of the truck except is some areas. There are a few places in Wisconsin where the water will corrode through the 1/8" thick tanks in 6 months. Locally our water is not friendly to cooling systems.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Now days most people use premix antifreeze which is usually a good thing. I always used distilled water when mixing and always drained any tap water out. Water quality varies greatly around the country. The company I work for uses aluminum water tanks on many of their trucks. Typically the tanks last the life of the truck except is some areas. There are a few places in Wisconsin where the water will corrode through the 1/8" thick tanks in 6 months. Locally our water is not friendly to cooling systems.
I like that, distilled water. I use it in my solar batteries because it's free of any mineral contaminants so that makes complete sense to me.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
From "Car Talk"

From "Car Talk"

Just changed my coolant. Looked pretty good but the new Honda brand coolant is blue.Supposed to be improved. I like fresh fluids. Less problems.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!