P500 Cooler for P500 RTIC vs Yeti

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, RTIC head quarters in TN also, don't recall, but it's says design in TN but made in China, I'm ok with that, same quality and warranty and better price.

So 20 qt is good for day to two days trip with my wife, especially in the hot summer. If o go hunting/camping or bigger group or longer trip then 45 or 60 even.

I think good to have a small and later will get bigger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, RTIC head quarters in TN also, don't recall, but it's says design in TN but made in China, I'm ok with that, same quality and warranty and better price.

So 20 qt is good for day to two days trip with my wife, especially in the hot summer. If o go hunting/camping or bigger group or longer trip then 45 or 60 even.

I think good to have a small and later will get bigger.

Not the same my friend. Made in China is junk as far as I'm concerned. I'll pay a little more, get a quality product, and support local US workers. That mindset is why America is losing jobs in droves. Not harping on you just giving my opinion. Not that you wanted it... Lol

Yeah the 20qt don't fit quite enough unless it is a short trip. My 58 is too big to carry but is nice for keeping the ice over a camping weekend. So far I love the 40, seems like a perfect size for me.

Reactions: i82much
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
You talked me into it!! I just ordered one too! A little torn if I shouldn't order the 45
I have the 25 quart Engel and wish it was a little bigger. Even for my weekend trips to Silverton it will hold either my booze and water or my booze and food but not all three when you load it up with ice. Looks like I am on the wagon this weekend.

Reactions: JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Time will show if it will turn into junk or not.

Pricing policy of local companies are a bit steep and no one likes competition and it applies to competition among local US companies ( ex. I am in market for t4runner roof rack with ladder, Baja makes good racks that suit my taste, they made a ladder later and another US company sued them for ladder design, this will drive away all enthusiasm to make quality lower priced goodies ) .

Sorry to mention this again, but I had bad experience with SSS off-road skid plate.they cancelled my order from overstock.com bc it was 80$ lower their market price. I was just naive to call $$$ offroad to let them know I prefer to pay them directly and price match.

They prefer lawsuits and etc. to drive other small innovative US companies to drive them out of market.
I'm all about supporting local job and market.
But quality is not always there even among USA manufactures.

I'm hoping for good compromise on price / quality with RTiC vs Yeti or other similar higher and artificially retained priced coolers

Last edited:
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Not the same my friend. Made in China is junk as far as I'm concerned. I'll pay a little more, get a quality product, and support local US workers. That mindset is why America is losing jobs in droves. Not harping on you just giving my opinion. Not that you wanted it... Lol

Yeah the 20qt don't fit quite enough unless it is a short trip. My 58 is too big to carry but is nice for keeping the ice over a camping weekend. So far I love the 40, seems like a perfect size for me.
Yeti is made in China too, FYI. Not junk.

Reactions: solrus
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Best cooler I have ever had. Compared to a Yeti I also have and I like his one better. Lid design is easier to grab with the lip.

RTIC

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeti is made in China too, FYI. Not junk.

Missed my point. I'm saying as far as I'm concerned. I hate Chinese made anything. Obviously I can't always avoid it but I do when I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Missed my point. I'm saying as far as I'm concerned. I hate Chinese made anything. Obviously I can't always avoid it but I do when I can!

I agree with that. Unfortunately this country has voted its way into a situation where we now have no choice.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with that. Unfortunately this country has voted its way into a situation where we now have no choice.

Sometimes we do have a choice. That's why I try my best to buy American when possible. If I can't, then I can't but it isn't because I didn't try

Reactions: pFive
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Why you hate Chinese? Any bad experience??

Another thing even materials for USA made coolers and etc come from China.

U can not avoid it. I don't hate Chinese, Mexican , Taiwan made and etc.

But I hate when millions of gallons of milk wasted and poured into fields, fruits going into waste, grain being bought for low ball price. Just waste everywhere to keep pricing up for profit for marginal percentage of rich f...rs who rule for self profit and not for people.

advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Why you hate Chinese? Any bad experience??

Another thing even materials for USA made coolers and etc come from China.

U can not avoid it. I don't hate Chinese, Mexican , Taiwan made and etc.

But I hate when millions of gallons of milk wasted and poured into fields, fruits going into waste, grain being bought for low ball price. Just waste everywhere to keep pricing up for profit for marginal percentage of rich f...rs who rule for self profit and not for people.

Communism, child labor, taking of American jobs, etc. There are multiple reasons I hate Chinese made products. China stands for everything I don't want America to be! I know I can't avoid it but I'm going to try my damnedest!

Reactions: Montecresto
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are major China products consumer . We drive all to the extent of our consumption what u have just said .

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damn :), it was simple cooler talk, now we are talking politics.

Let's time show what cooler company will serve u best. Other guys who has other brands or RTiC please share your tests ,may be a movie where u've tried to destroy it too.
I saw this one from.Yeti

Reactions: LandPioneer
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
RTIC and YETI are effectively the same cooler. I would even believe they are made in the same factory as the owners of both are brothers. There tumblers are fantastic too. I have the 20oz and a few 30oz. I have no affiliation with either, just speaking from my personal experience. Only thing I like better about my Yeti is the handle material. But I dont like it $200 more.

edit, the RTIC is WAY heavier too which is not a good thing.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I have the 25 quart Engel and wish it was a little bigger. Even for my weekend trips to Silverton it will hold either my booze and water or my booze and food but not all three when you load it up with ice. Looks like I am on the wagon this weekend.
I don't like cold water so I should be good! Lol..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I heartily agree with you. Manufacturing needs to be right back here in America, and if the politicians won't make it happen because of their pandering to special interest groups, then we should do our part when the option exists.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I don't like cold water so I should be good! Lol..
Good point about cold water. But then I can drink the booze right out of the bottle warm or cold. Anyway I was just saying the cooler is a little small in my opinion. I think a 30 or 35 would be perfect.

J

JTW

Good point about cold water. But then I can drink the booze right out of the bottle warm or cold. Anyway I was just saying the cooler is a little small in my opinion. I think a 30 or 35 would be perfect.
I almost bought the 45.. but after measuring my tool box I'm limited on how wide my cooler can be without covering the latch handle. I bought dad an 80 Cabelas brand.. so if I need bigger I'll just take his! Or him with me! Lol..

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for this topic. I've been considering a Yeti cooler for awhile but just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on a ice chest. I've seen many imitations and always wondered about quality. Sounds like RTIC or Cabelas is worth taking a look at.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!