sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this topic. I've been considering a Yeti cooler for awhile but just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on a ice chest. I've seen many imitations and always wondered about quality. Sounds like RTIC or Cabelas is worth taking a look at.
I've had Yetis for a long time before all the other people started making good coolers. They are dirty and scratched up but all the parts work as they should. Once you choke down the price at first next thing you know it's 7 years later, 10 times longer than any other cooler you have had in the past, and it's still all in one piece. I have several of Yetis in different sizes depending on what I'm doing, my favorite one and the one I use the most and the easiest to carry is the Yeti hopper 20. Reguradless of what yetis web site says the hopper 20 will fit a case (24) beers and a bag of ice. They now have a Yeti hopper 30

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for this topic. I've been considering a Yeti cooler for awhile but just couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on a ice chest. I've seen many imitations and always wondered about quality. Sounds like RTIC or Cabelas is worth taking a look at.
Lots of comparisons out there online so you can do the research. All I can say is I love mine. Not sure where you are in NorCal but I am from there and still have a few thousand acres outside of Red Bluff. If you know how hot it gets there in the summer then you know how much work a cooler gets. Both my Yeti and my RTIC make it all weekend no problem.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow a few thousand acres, I'm jealous! I'm about an hour and a half to two hours south of red bluff in a little town no one's heard of but the climate is essentially the same. So yeah a nice cooler is a good investment around here.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Wow a few thousand acres, I'm jealous! I'm about an hour and a half to two hours south of red bluff in a little town no one's heard of but the climate is essentially the same. So yeah a nice cooler is a good investment around here.
I grew up in Sac so I have probably heard of it! Our ranch is a bunch of homesteads aggregated by my great grandfather. Cant do that these days.

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's really cool. I'm in Nicolaus about halfway between Sac and Yuba City.

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So it looks like you can only get RTIC directly from them or on Amazon. Which route did you guys go that have them? I'm thinking I need that 20. Bout the right size for a day or weekend trip. Again @solrus and everyone else thanks for the info, I had no idea about this company before today now I know what I'm buying next.

Reactions: solrus and sharp
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it looks like you can only get RTIC directly from them or on Amazon. Which route did you guys go that have them? I'm thinking I need that 20. Bout the right size for a day or weekend trip. Again @solrus and everyone else thanks for the info, I had no idea about this company before today now I know what I'm buying next.
My pleasure, it all started from looking what accessories Polaris has for ranger 500, and on Polaris forum , I saw one guy posted this cooler , compared it to other brands, all of them looked same to me with few design change, and priced high too.

And I like to share what useful goodies i buy for my pioneer :)

I bought from amazon because I get 5% cashback and prime shipping.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I bought mine direct and it took almost 2 months! If you can get it from Amazon go that rout but when I got mine it was not an option.

Reactions: Tflynn
advertisement
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have an old Yeti 45. It doesn't look at all like the new ones. I have more modern versions of the Yeti and a Brute. They are all very good coolers and all VERY expensive. I am glad RTIC is offering some competition. That low price might not last once they get some name recognition.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I have an old Yeti 45. It doesn't look at all like the new ones. I have more modern versions of the Yeti and a Brute. They are all very good coolers and all VERY expensive. I am glad RTIC is offering some competition. That low price might not last once they get some name recognition.
I went with the Engle because of the latch system. When its colder out and you might have gloves on that system is easier for me to work with gloves. Also as old age and arthritis sets in gripping the rubber hold downs can get harder. My Engle had ice put in it Friday night on the way to Silverton and still has about 40% of it left this morning. I also like that it has a drain which some makes don't. Another thing to consider with these coolers is when you put in ice is it coming out of a 0 degree freezer or a 20 degree freezer. Its both in ice form but the temp. of the ice is really important in considering how long it lasts. Putting the ice out of my home freezer which is about -10 and then adding food I actually get stuff to freeze when I take it out of fridge and put in the ice chest. This does not happen when I buy ice at the market or liquor store.

I can't speak for the other ones but my lid seal actually is go good that I get a pressure hiss when I drive from 4500 feet to 9500 feet and then open the thing. My problem was the price of the Yeti just drained the color out of my face. Not that I couldn't afford it but the reality of really that much for a cooler.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree 100%. Good ice will stick to your fingers when you touch it. Last weekend the water froze in my cooler and my beer had ice crystals. Some stuff you buy is what we call "wet ice". It is 32 degrees and won't last long.

My Yeti isn't air tight. My fishing buddies will form a vacuum. Once it is closed the next person will have to unscrew the drain plug to break the suction.

J

JTW

I bought mine from Amazon.. same reason @solrus did!

Reactions: Tflynn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 6990
This weekend I was talking to another member while riding not long after we lost our cooler to the side of the road and exploded beer everywhere. He had been looking at into getting a new cooler and was interested in Pelican brand. After some research (hate blowing money) I've came to the same conclusion that I'll be buying one of these. They are rated alongside all tests I've seen against the many more expensive units in bear proof,ice retention and toughness. Lifetime warranty (if it breaks ever they send another free of charge) and 100% US made.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The Pelican is an excellent cooler. IMO the hardware (latches, handles) are better than yeti.

The following statement will contradict my previous statement:
The only complaint I've heard about them is, the latches can be broken off if you sling a loaded cooler into the truck and hit the latch on something. My contractor buddy says that has happened twice to his Pelican. But his employees are not gentle with anything.

J

JTW

The Pelican is an excellent cooler. IMO the hardware (latches, handles) are better than yeti.

The only complaint I've heard about them is, the latches can be broken off if you sling a loaded cooler into the truck and hit the latch on something. My contractor buddy says that has happened twice to his Pelican. But his employees are not gentle with anything.
That's the exact same thing I thought.. I like them and the latch but I could see them getting broken.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Ok with that knowledge (thank you btw) did they ask for replacement? How did that go? I'm asking because one of the reviews I read they were real skeptical and tried hard to break them and said the only way they could was to be super hard on it while latch was open and they weren't worried to much because of replacement.
I watched one video showing them all thrown out of a truck at 45 onto pavement and a couple were damaged including the pelican but that one was different style with folding handles and that's what got broken, but had that not broke it would have been rated 1 there also instead of second.
I'm finding out all I can because I'm very interested in this one every review says it's top notch and a couple actually placed it on top over the Orca & yeti. I wish there were a way to compare them by touch but that's not possible here.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok with that knowledge (thank you btw) did they ask for replacement? How did that go? I'm asking because one of the reviews I read they were real skeptical and tried hard to break them and said the only way they could was to be super hard on it while latch was open and they weren't worried to much because of replacement.
I'm finding out all I can because I'm very interested in this one every review says it's top notch and a couple actually placed it on top over the Orca & yeti. I wish there were a way to compare them by touch but that's not possible here
I agree with you on Pelican. Ask anybody in the military. Pelican has supplied defense, scientific exploration and emergency since 1976. The best on the market. Lifetime warranty, so no problem on broken latches.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!