Cord cutting?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m considering turning off my dish network. I currently pay $180 a month and have the max boxes you can have on the older legacy system. I don’t have any “movie channels”. I do have dish in the motorhome as well. I’m considering going to an all streaming service. Right now considering YouTube TV and Directv Now. These seem to offer the most content for the best overall price. YouTube offers up to 6 streams from what I read and Directv only offer 3. Having 5 people in my house my be difficult occasionally with only 3 streams. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m considering turning off my dish network. I currently pay $180 a month and have the max boxes you can have on the older legacy system. I don’t have any “movie channels”. I do have dish in the motorhome as well. I’m considering going to an all streaming service. Right now considering YouTube TV and Directv Now. These seem to offer the most content for the best overall price. YouTube offers up to 6 streams from what I read and Directv only offer 3. Having 5 people in my house my be difficult occasionally with only 3 streams. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We did Youtube TV, very impressed. Great channel selection and the free unlimited DVR was worth it's weight in gold (well it's virtual and therefore weightless but you get what I'm saying). I would go this route again.

My parents had sling TV for a while. For whatever reason I was unimpressed by that. Stream always seemed slow. No DVR.

No experience with direct TV now.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I use Netflix, HULU, and Amazon Prime as well as an over the air antenna. I do miss some sports shows , but my cost is under $25 a month for all three.

I use these in the Toyhauler as well since I do have 2 smart TVs in it. With my Verizon Unlimited plan I can use my phone as a hotspot and get what I want when camping

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did it years ago. I don't really dig much on TV these days except documentaries and live sporting events, but it seems that those are no issue with the right service.
I use a Roku or Fire TV with Amazon Prime, MLB TV, and occasionally Sling. Every once in a long while, something will glitch out and freeze requiring a restart, but its getting pretty good these days. Amazon and Netflix were always nearly flawless for me.

Be aware of blackout restrictions if your sport teams are local.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Directv Now has the best lineup at $65 I would have almost everything I have now. I only get 3 streams with that setup. But kids don’t watch much except for right at bed. YouTube has more streams but less channels.

Reactions: sharp
D

Deleted member 3748

I'd recommend Hulu Live except for the five people in your house. We only have 2 so it works well for us with all the channels we need, including locals.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

So you're paying $180 just for TV and no movie channels? Yeah, that's BS! I've been pissed at the hikes in cable but I guess it isn't as bad as I thought. I have phone, internet and all the channels for $210.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We use Amazon fire tv which does require cable. We have ABC,NBC,CBS,Hulu,YouTube,Sling,all the ESPN's,FS1,FS2,FX,Fox Sports,and the SEC networks,ACC network plus a lot of stuff we never watch.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you're paying $180 just for TV and no movie channels? Yeah, that's BS! I've been pissed at the hikes in cable but I guess it isn't as bad as I thought. I have phone, internet and all the channels for $210.

Yea I’ve called a couple time to complain about the crazy hikes in bills for the legacy customers. I’ve been with them for almost 10 years. They just tell me the rates advertised are for new customers only. I then ask if they don’t care about the loyal people they have had for years... most CS reps then just say I’m sorry sir the rates are for new customers.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yea I’ve called a couple time to complain about the crazy hikes in bills for the legacy customers. I’ve been with them for almost 10 years. They just tell me the rates advertised are for new customers only. I then ask if they don’t care about the loyal people they have had for years... most CS reps then just say I’m sorry sir the rates are for new customers.

I did exactly that with Direct TV. They said the same thing, and i told them to cancel the service (thats when i went streaming only). I agree completely...someone who's paid them thousands can't get it, and they want to do it for strangers? f*** them!
Months later i got a letter saying they would give me a deal if i came back. Too little, too late.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a buddy that has worked for the cable company in the Denver area for 25 yrs. I was b****ing to him about it and asked 'what are they going to do when everyone goes to streaming and leaves their ass'? He said it's actually a wash, just as many subscribe as those that leave, so they're sticking to their guns.

Reactions: Russ989 and sharp
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After cutting the cord (from DirecTV) about 10 years ago I used an ota antenna, Netflix and Amazon prime. I have had DirecTV now for about 1.5 months.

I'm on the cheapest DirecTV now plan ($40) plus I pay $5 for the third stream. It can be flakey at times but so far so good. I use roku boxes and streaming sticks, plus I can watch on our android phones and tablets.

A plus is that since I have AT&T wireless, I can watch away from wifi data-free.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the new concern that @my99svt pointed out is the data limit with my cox internet plan. Smh.

That could be a problem. I have no data cap with Spectrum, formerly Charter.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
C

Chooglin

I am also using Hulu along with netflix. I tried Youtube tv and liked it best , but they did not offer two of the channels (in my area) that I like to watch , so I went with Hulu !

Reactions: Russ989 and sharp
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So the new concern that @my99svt pointed out is the data limit with my cox internet plan. Smh.

Absolutely. HD video will use it hard. You kinda have to just feel it out and move up as necessary. You may also be able to change settings (Roku for sure) to like 720 vs 1080 (most people can't tell the difference anyway).
Some companies still offer unlimited data, and those who have it should feel lucky. I suspect i will go away eventually.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!