Cord cutting?

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Call and negotiate with them before you cut. I was paying $9.62 for dish for 2 years. When they put me back at $100 they offered 30% off for 5 years but also said I was a problem customer due to large discounts on my account. Went to direct. When there introductory rate ran out I told them I was going to an antenna. They immediately cut my bill in half. It just went back up last month so gotta give them a call. If you are gonna cut anyway give them a call. It might suprise you.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are going to call to negotiate we have found we have better luck with the "I just can't afford this approach" than the "this is stupid expensive" approach. My dad just cut his internet bill in half by telling them that he could afford the price increase and he was going to have to cancel.

I know my grandparents have said they were on a "fixed income" with social security before and received pretty healthy discounts as well.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you are going to call to negotiate we have found we have better luck with the "I just can't afford this approach" than the "this is stupid expensive" approach. My dad just cut his internet bill in half by telling them that he could afford the price increase and he was going to have to cancel.

I know my grandparents have said they were on a "fixed income" with social security before and received pretty healthy discounts as well.
Right now they are loosing customers left and right. I went with the I am gonna throw up an antenna approach and they bent over backwards. Just got off the phone with direct tv. They told me to call back in the morning after 8am when their loyalty department is in.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just moved to a company locally that uses Verizon and AT&T LTE to provide home internet.

It’s data cap free and no contract. They are about to release a streaming service. All that and it’s cheaper than anything else....

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just moved to a company locally that uses Verizon and AT&T LTE to provide home internet.

It’s data cap free and no contract. They are about to release a streaming service. All that and it’s cheaper than anything else....
Which one is it? We cant get internet out here. Only whats on our phones. USCellular offers unlimited internet for $100 a month and their device can connect up to 5 things. However the "unlimited" only goes to 100mb at top speed then they throttle you to 2g. Its an offer only for folks with no other option and took special approval from us cellular corporate. They did let us try it for a weekend, just wish it was truly unlimited.

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m considering turning off my dish network. I currently pay $180 a month and have the max boxes you can have on the older legacy system. I don’t have any “movie channels”. I do have dish in the motorhome as well. I’m considering going to an all streaming service. Right now considering YouTube TV and Directv Now. These seem to offer the most content for the best overall price. YouTube offers up to 6 streams from what I read and Directv only offer 3. Having 5 people in my house my be difficult occasionally with only 3 streams. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just recently cut the cables. We use a Apple TV device and the wife and kids love it. Saved $150 per month. I use History APP and Discovery APP. I log in using my in-laws Charter account for free viewing of those two apps. My wife has a cousin that has a 100TB hard drive that’s 80% full of movies and shows and he has recorded pretty much every show we would ever want to watch. I don’t quite understand all of that stuff and how it works but we use a Apple TV app that links us to his server and we can watch all of his stuff. All the MCU movies we’ve watched lately and my wife had him record Law and Order SVU and Good Doctor. We send him a gift card in the mail every now and then and say thanks. Of coarse this requires a good strong internet speed.

With the help of a buddy we are beaming a WiFi signal from my in-laws that are at our guest house 300 ish feet away. They have cable high speed internet at their house. It’s the same address but charter wanted too much to do the work to run it to my house. I’m in the set up about $50 and no monthly charge.

Just 4 months of savings buys another set of tires for Traveller!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which one is it? We cant get internet out here. Only whats on our phones. USCellular offers unlimited internet for $100 a month and their device can connect up to 5 things. However the "unlimited" only goes to 100mb at top speed then they throttle you to 2g. Its an offer only for folks with no other option and took special approval from us cellular corporate. They did let us try it for a weekend, just wish it was truly unlimited.

Only offered locally in Alabama and parts of TN, up where Joey is they actually off 1gb fiber.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We got rid of satellite about 3 years ago. Dont miss it one bit. Have had Fire stick and Roku over the years and have all Roku now. We use Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Have done a few trials of the streaming apps like Direct TV, Sling, and Youtube TV, but never ended up watching them so never actually subscribed. We have antenna as well but only watch that for local news on occasion.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ill admit my antenna ploy is a bluff. Neighbors have one and get one channel.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just gotboff the phone with direct tv. I didnt press very hard but still got them to knock $30 off per month.

Reactions: sharp and nbomar
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the new concern that @my99svt pointed out is the data limit with my cox internet plan. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s why I haven’t cut the cord myself, we live in a very rural area and our only internet is our phones. If I where to get WiFi so I could stream I would probably pay the same as what I’m paying now. In the end, if I cut the cord..I will spend most of my time reading and working on the cabin, I don’t watch that much tv any way.

J

JTW

That’s why I haven’t cut the cord myself, we live in a very rural area and our only internet is our phones. If I where to get WiFi so I could stream I would probably pay the same as what I’m paying now. In the end, if I cut the cord..I will spend most of my time reading and working on the cabin, I don’t watch that much tv any way.
Same here... Ky has terrible internet infrastructure. I’m payin $60 a month for AT&T dsl that sucks! My cell use to be better with our local service provider but it’s gotten worse. Dish is charging $120 or so per month... every mother f***er out there is nickel and diming to death and providing s*** service!

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here... Ky has terrible internet infrastructure. I’m payin $60 a month for AT&T dsl that sucks! My cell use to be better with our local service provider but it’s gotten worse. Dish is charging $120 or so per month... every mother f***er out there is nickel and diming to death and providing s*** service!
Got that right, don’t get me wrong...I like being able to watch tv when I want..but every time I see that bill I get closer to cutting the cord and living without it. I only watch discovery, history and National Geographic for the most part.

J

JTW

Got that right, don’t get me wrong...I like being able to watch tv when I want..but every time I see that bill I get closer to cutting the cord and living without it. I only watch discovery, history and National Geographic for the most part.
We watch tv so until we have another option we’re stuck!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
For those truly in the boonies with no real unlimited data, thier is an option at a price. In January 2017 a new satellite was launched that has 20x the data bandwidth of all commercial satellites combined to date. Starting in July 2018 they began rolling out a high bandwidth satellite ISP with unlimited data. I have been using it since last October with satisfying results. I can stream up to two 4K video sources to 2 TVs concurrently without buffering. You get 100MB download and 3MB upload speeds, when I have tested it the download speeds vary between 117MB to 140MB actual depending upon how many people are using data in your spot beam area. The more rural you are the faster your speeds are consistently. The name is VIASAT and it is thier 100MB unlimited plan, they have in fine print that after 150GB in a month they throttle the speed, but we typically use over 200GB every month and have not seen a slowdown yet. It isn't cheap, tax and all it is right at $211 per month, but it will stream video like there is no tomorrow.

They do offer 3 speed packages for that satellite, FYI

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those truly in the boonies with no real unlimited data, thier is an option at a price. In January 2017 a new satellite was launched that has 20x the data bandwidth of all commercial satellites combined to date. Starting in July 2018 they began rolling out a high bandwidth satellite ISP with unlimited data. I have been using it since last October with satisfying results. I can stream up to two 4K video sources to 2 TVs concurrently without buffering. You get 100MB download and 3MB upload speeds, when I have tested it the download speeds vary between 117MB to 140MB actual depending upon how many people are using data in your spot beam area. The more rural you are the faster your speeds are consistently. The name is VIASAT and it is thier 100MB unlimited plan, they have in fine print that after 150GB in a month they throttle the speed, but we typically use over 200GB every month and have not seen a slowdown yet. It isn't cheap, tax and all it is right at $211 per month, but it will stream video like there is no tomorrow.

For us it’s $200 with no TV and throttled at 150 since we are so close to the BIG city.

J

JTW

I’ll look into that... thanks! Not any different than paying for dsl that doesn’t work and dish that rips you off.

Reactions: sharp and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You’re telling me I could step into the 21st century for around $211 per month?? Well I guess I’d better round up all my beaver pelts and salted meats and raise some cash lol. Not a bad option, thanks for the info @JACKAL.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Fiber runs within 3 miles of the house but there are so few houses out this way they arent interested in extending it. They also have the stuff they line of sight to your house but I would need a 70 ft tall tower due to the valley we live in. They county subsidizes the line of sight trying to get broadband to everyone.

Reactions: Russ989
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I concur with your findings.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!