elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
For those truly in the boonies with no real unlimited data, thier is an option at a price. In January 2017 a new satellite was launched that has 20x the data bandwidth of all commercial satellites combined to date. Starting in July 2018 they began rolling out a high bandwidth satellite ISP with unlimited data. I have been using it since last October with satisfying results. I can stream up to two 4K video sources to 2 TVs concurrently without buffering. You get 100MB download and 3MB upload speeds, when I have tested it the download speeds vary between 117MB to 140MB actual depending upon how many people are using data in your spot beam area. The more rural you are the faster your speeds are consistently. The name is VIASAT and it is thier 100MB unlimited plan, they have in fine print that after 150GB in a month they throttle the speed, but we typically use over 200GB every month and have not seen a slowdown yet. It isn't cheap, tax and all it is right at $211 per month, but it will stream video like there is no tomorrow.

They do offer 3 speed packages for that satellite, FYI

Is it VoIP capable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is it VoIP capable?

Hell yeah, the sat router even has the jack to run the phone directly, VOIP telephone through them is $29 a month, of course you can run other solutions for free.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Gonna have to look hard at that. My local chatty phone system has me paying $120 per month for dsl (9 Meg down, 0.5 med up) and phone ....

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After a little over an hour on the phone I got my bill down to $99 a month from $186 and they are putting in all the newest equipment and boxes. So I’m sticking with dish for now.

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
After a little over an hour on the phone I got my bill down to $99 a month from $186 and they are putting in all the newest equipment and boxes. So I’m sticking with dish for now.
Told ya

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yeah we threatened to switch to direct tv last year and they dropped our bill $40 per month for six months and gave us all of the movie channels we didn’t have. Now we are creeping back up.

JsheII3

JsheII3

Long time listener.
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve got the biggest Antenna RadioShack sells mounted in my attic w/ an amplifier. I get just over 27 “over the air” channels now.

Free.

ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, PBS, FOX.
And these guys have good programs running on the secondary channels. Like LAFF, METV, Bounce, Grit...

Also have smart TV, so we (free) YouTube and ($12) Netflix the “gotta watch” stuff.

But honestly, we aren’t TV watchers. I’ll save that $100+ a month for the cell phone bills. Eek

Last edited:
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
over 200 for cable three pack they advertise at 100, because of all the equipment fees, 1 ota channel and 1 bar on the phones no internet available at home. the cable at least works sometimes, but we have amazon and one movie and everyone else is screwed. been thinking hard about dropping to internet only few things I would miss but amazon has a lot of those channels for a couple bucks more. jacking up the fees takes my toy money

K

kswaterfowler

Oct 18, 2015
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’ve got the biggest Antenna RadioShack sells mounted in my attic w/ an amplifier. I get just over 27 “over the air” channels now.

Free.

ABC, CBS, NBC, WB, PBS, FOX.
And these guys have good programs running on the secondary channels. Like LAFF, METV, Bounce, Grit...

Also have smart TV, so we (free) YouTube and ($12) Netflix the “gotta watch” stuff.

But honestly, we aren’t TV watchers. I’ll save that $100+ a month for the cell phone bills. Eek
Wish we could do that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I use Netflix, HULU, and Amazon Prime as well as an over the air antenna. I do miss some sports shows , but my cost is under $25 a month for all three.
Same here, it’s plenty good enough.

Reactions: JsheII3 and BWAF
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who has Hulu Live? Is it worth it? Say for History and Discovery channels, do you get more content than regular Hulu? Can you watch them live or just sports? Trying to decide if we want to upgrade.. only will watch 3,4 or 5 of the channels they list. We get local through high-tech rabbit ears haha. And have regular Hulu, Amazon too but rarely use it for TV.. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
just have prime now but if we quit, if you scroll through they list the different channels, like cbs or hbo,whatever. all we watch is cbs discovery and motortrend, they had those motortrend was like 5 a month cbs 3-4, didnt look at the others but imagine similar. i would just have to figure the football games are on cbs normally but we are too far to get anything ota. seems like they have some games on amazon but not sure about bills specifically

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!