Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Researched but can't find answers.

1) Notice whenever it's in gear, if you take foot off brake it will roll backwards as if in neutral if not on a dead level surface.

If this the nature of the Honda beast? Well any UTV beast? Does the clutch wait to engage until you give it gas?

If so, does it have to do with idle speeds and would raising the idle a tad have any effect on this to possibly prevent it?

On inclines it's always a one foot on brake and one on pedal like clutch in a car on a hill.

2) Read previous issues for the different 4x4 modes not engaging and read thread about cable fix.

But mine engages perfect from 4x2 to 4x4 and vice versa, right on key. But Diff lock and Turf mode WILL engage, just not as instant and as "on command" as others.

And SOMETIMES diff lock will lock right up, and out of as if no issue...sometimes not.

Does much better if it's already been engaged and you're going back-and-forth. But if going into diff lock for the first time could take 30 secs to a minute and involve take off and stops and going into forward and reverse. Same with turf. Plus you can tell lever feels harder on that side to lock and not as loose as reg modes.

Would seem if the cable was off it would do it all the time so not sure I should be trying to adjust cables in a sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't situation.

3) It's been made very clear that you should be at a dead stop when changing modes. But one thing I notice is if you go over to diff lock and sometimes it just won't engage at all, then while you're running 5 or 10 miles an hour it will kick in!

This do the same amount of damage as if you try to shift while driving?

Thanks!

Reactions: franzw
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1) Notice whenever it's in gear, if you take foot off brake it will roll backwards as if in neutral if not on a dead level surface.

If this the nature of the Honda beast? Well any UTV beast? Does the clutch wait to engage until you give it gas?

If so, does it have to do with idle speeds and would raising the idle a tad have any effect on this to possibly prevent it?

On inclines it's always a one foot on brake and one on pedal like clutch in a car on a hill.

2) Read previous issues for the different 4x4 modes not engaging and read thread about cable fix.

But mine engages perfect from 4x2 to 4x4 and vice versa, right on key. But Diff lock and Turf mode WILL engage, just not as instant and as "on command" as others.

And SOMETIMES diff lock will lock right up, and out of as if no issue...sometimes not.

Does much better if it's already been engaged and you're going back-and-forth. But if going into diff lock for the first time could take 30 secs to a minute and involve take off and stops and going into forward and reverse. Same with turf. Plus you can tell lever feels harder on that side to lock and not as loose as reg modes.

Would seem if the cable was off it would do it all the time so not sure I should be trying to adjust cables in a sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't situation.

3) It's been made very clear that you should be at a dead stop when changing modes. But one thing I notice is if you go over to diff lock and sometimes it just won't engage at all, then while you're running 5 or 10 miles an hour it will kick in!

Thanks!
Don't raise idle to hold it on a hill not good. Learn to use one foot on the break and one on the gas.2 sometimes it will engage before it shows on the dash.3 going from low to high while moving is bad. But shifting to diff lock around 5 mph or so or 2 to 4 for that matter is fine. But it is better if you stop. I'm not sure but I think for it to engage diff lock all the wheels need to be turning at tha same speed including if all four are stopped.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When you change the differential lock always be stopped then when you start moving the gear will lineup and then it will engage you only need def lock when you need the most traction like deep mud and steep straight Hills. 1 ? Yes is normal.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I've learned the 2 foot method on this P1. It feels like it's in neutral when on a steep, or even not so steep hill. Way easier on clutch,transmission,differential ''s etc. As per Honda , and Honda Pro Kevin, be stopped before any gear, or drive selection. Not 5 mph, not 10 mph. Your P1 will love you for it, and you won't be on a first name basis with the service manager at the Honda shop.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone, you answered my questions!

I guess I'm also being extra careful with this clutch issue at low speeds, so it kinda scares me. Not that it happens to everyone and only a few, but I always hear the same thing.

Problems with the clutches burning up always seem to be when doing very low speeds for a long while.

Which is the exact scenario when I'm using my plow to grade the gravel. It's not the most heavy duty plow in the world and you have to take it very very slow or the front will fold over. Even going backwards, if you go too slow, it just rises up over the bump instead of scraping it.

So the only way to achieve scraping the roads is by going very very very slow. When combined with the extra load of the blade scraping on the clutches, well, makes me very worried about burning up a clutch!

D

Dasmoeturhead

Don't over think it Bro. I bought my P1 mainly to use it for plowing in the winter. It works great, and I haven't had any clutch issues. I also use the plow to level my gravel driveway. I have the KFI 72 in, with a warn winch. It will fold under if you push to hard. I keep it in low gear, and 4wd. I keep an eye on the temp gauge, and listen for the fan to kick on and off. So far I've had zero problems.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks!
I agree, a emergency brake or parking brake would be a worthwhile add on to the P1000, especially while negotiating steep trails. Maybe Honda could come up with a add on solution. I would get it for sure. Also wish it could go into 4x4 mode on the fly like my trucks. Although I do remember my earlier trucks where I had to get out and lock the Hubs first.

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't over think it Bro. I bought my P1 mainly to use it for plowing in the winter. It works great, and I haven't had any clutch issues. I also use the plow to level my gravel driveway. I have the KFI 72 in, with a warn winch. It will fold under if you push to hard. I keep it in low gear, and 4wd. I keep an eye on the temp gauge, and listen for the fan to kick on and off. So far I've had zero problems.

Do you see yourself going backwards for the blade more so than front? I have the exact same set up as you.

Even set at the most aggressive angle it constantly folds over on me. I'm thinking of getting rid of the springs and just bolt it solid.

Backwards it does better for me but I don't get the push as much quantity.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Do you see yourself going backwards for the blade more so than front? I have the exact same set up as you.
Yeah backing is better when your working gravel, at least I think so. I can also see how things are shaping up on the road as I back up. But then again this is my 1st UTV,ATV,and plow. So I'm learning as I go. I definitely didn't need to back last winter when I was plowing snow. It worked quite well going forward. If you think about how that winch plate/plow bracket is only on with 4 bolts, I guess it makes sense that the plow blade buckels under when push hard. Otherwise something might let loose on the frame of the P1. I did buy my P1 for plowing in the winter, and everything else I do is a added bonus, and sometimes I actually use it for fun. :)

Even set at the most aggressive angle it constantly folds over on me. I'm thinking of getting rid of the springs and just bolt it solid.

Backwards it does better for me but I don't get the push as much quantity.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
stay over 3 mph at the least for extended periods of time. Preferably 4 IMO

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Thanks!

I will give this a shot based upon my experiences.

#1. Yes it is normal to roll at idle in gear on a non level surface. Would be nice to have a hill clutch where it won't roll back or a parking brake, something to be added down the road maybe.

#2. I have seen the exact same from mine into and out of 2x diff lock and 4x lock sometimes its spot on sometimes takes a little bit. Not sure what if anything can be done about it.

#3. I don't know if it kicking in when it feels like it after you have shifted even when you are moving can damage it or not. I know the other models ( P500 & P700 ) people have shifted at low speeds (5mph or less) often without issue, not sure about doing that with P1K that sub-transmission is a different animal.

Reactions: Plumber101010
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree, a emergency brake or parking brake would be a worthwhile add on to the P1000, especially while negotiating steep trails. Maybe Honda could come up with a add on solution. I would get it for sure. Also wish it could go into 4x4 mode on the fly like my trucks. Although I do remember my earlier trucks where I had to get out and lock the Hubs first.

I agree to the parking brake. More and more I see the real life use and necessity of a parking brake.

My routine is the same. I load the rock in the bed, drive up a 45 degree incline, put it in park, very nervously take my foot off the brake and feel that immense load roll backwards much father that I would like it to against the tranny, envisioning the amount of stress currently on the park position. I get out and walk / slide behind the unit reluctantly after dumping it, hoping it doesn't jump out of park while I'm behind it raking it flat.

Get / climb back in and like any vehicle that has the weight of the vehicle against the tranny, pop it out of park and hear an extremely loud clunk and then have to have your foot on the brake and the gas at the same time so you don't roll down the hill at 50 miles an hour!

Today deciding I was abusing my 1000 too much, I used my Massimo and it was super sweet.

I loaded it, drove up the incline, left it in the same gear and pulled the emergency brake. Dumped it, got back in, released the emergency brake and took off with my foot never having to touch the brake and having no load whatsoever on the tranny.

I have to ask myself which engineering was truly thought out more :)

Sadly, I waved goodbye to my Massimo around 7 o'clock tonight and sold it for $6100. I simply didn't need two of them, but boy I sure WANTED two of them!

I've only got another few days and all of those "heavy duty" projects are pretty much over with and then I can just simply start enjoying my 1000 on the roads in a "more fun, less work" situation.

I think there were still always be times that I stop on the inclines but it won't be the constant rule of thumb that it is now and only the rare occasion when I have to pick up a piece of trash, falling branch or filling potholes and there will be no big
time load in the bed when I do it!

Almost all of my issues will disappear when my work projects stop and the fun projects start! Like timing myself to see how fast I can make it on my new race course through the mountains without rolling it over into a ravine :)

Reactions: sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will give this a shot based upon my experiences.

#1. Yes it is normal to roll at idle in gear on a non level surface. Would be nice to have a hill clutch where it won't roll back or a parking brake, something to be added down the road maybe.

#2. I have seen the exact same from mine into and out of 2x diff lock and 4x lock sometimes its spot on sometimes takes a little bit. Not sure what if anything can be done about it.

#3. I don't know if it kicking in when it feels like it after you have shifted even when you are moving can damage it or not. I know the other models ( P500 & P700 ) people have shifted at low speeds (5mph or less) often without issue, not sure about doing that with P1K that sub-transmission is a different animal.

Nothing makes one smile more, knowing someone else has the exact same issue they have and it's normal :)

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
The trick I have learned for diff lock is engage it then turn the wheel left/right a couple times to get the gears to lock in. For Turf mode kinda the same thing but you have to be rolling. Make a bit of a left turn then go right a bit so that the rear axles spin relative to each other to un bind the gears and let it slide in/out.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The trick I have learned for diff lock is engage it then turn the wheel left/right a couple times to get the gears to lock in. For Turf mode kinda the same thing but you have to be rolling. Make a bit of a left turn then go right a bit so that the rear axles spin relative to each other to un bind the gears and let it slide in/out.
I've noticed that it locks in what ever mode you put it in before it lights up on the dash. Also the farther the mode you set it in the longer it takes for it to change for example going from turf to 4diff lock takes longer than 4wd to 4diff, 2wd to turf etc.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've noticed that it locks in what ever mode you put it in before it lights up on the dash. Also the farther the mode you set it in the longer it takes for it to change for example going from turf to 4diff lock takes longer than 4wd to 4diff, 2wd to turf etc.

That would explain a lot and why it's an intermittent issue, cuz it's not intermittently locking up but the light is intermittently not displaying It is locking up.

Luckily I will never use turf mode and seldom 2 Wheel except when I go to get the mail on pavement.

Is the four-wheel-drive system like a regular truck where you should not use it on pavement it can screw it up? Or is it more liberal?

Went to move a trailer and decided to use the 1000 and when I put the ball mount in the receiver I noticed the holes up and down vs left and right.

Gave it some thought and for the life of me I cannot figure out one logical reason why, except I want you to buy a special mount so we can make money.

Was a simple workaround, I just stuck it in with no pin and attached the trailer safety chains to the frame preventing it from pulling out and it worked flawlessly.

As many of those things that I have in different drop downs, not gonna buy another one.

What am I missing? Thought I would get a simple answer by googling it but believe it or not i really couldn't find an answer to what I thought would be a popular question.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That would explain a lot and why it's an intermittent issue, cuz it's not intermittently locking up but the light is intermittently not displaying It is locking up.

Luckily I will never use turf mode and seldom 2 Wheel except when I go to get the mail on pavement.

Is the four-wheel-drive system like a regular truck where you should not use it on pavement it can screw it up? Or is it more liberal?

Went to move a trailer and decided to use the 1000 and when I put the ball mount in the receiver I noticed the holes up and down vs left and right.

Gave it some thought and for the life of me I cannot figure out one logical reason why, except I want you to buy a special mount so we can make money.

Was a simple workaround, I just stuck it in with no pin and attached the trailer safety chains to the frame preventing it from pulling out and it worked flawlessly.

As many of those things that I have in different drop downs, not gonna buy another one.

What am I missing? Thought I would get a simple answer by googling it but believe it or not i really couldn't find an answer to what I thought would be a popular question.
You can use 4wd on pavement without messing anything up. Besides your tires. 4wd diff lock is a lot harder on your rig and you might mess something up. Regular 4wd still has limited slip.as for the hitch get a bigger receiver like the kind you would use for a real truck!

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They (the holes) go left and right, just a bit further forward than you are looking.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They (the holes) go left and right, just a bit further forward than you are looking.

Not home I'm on the road to Charleston again, but will be back at midnight, and what you're saying is correct, I will kick myself in the butt.

So the first set of holes I saw is not the only ones??

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not home I'm on the road to Charleston again, but will be back at midnight, and what you're saying is correct, I will kick myself in the butt.

So the first set of holes I saw is not the only ones??
Correct, the first ones go up and down, the ones further forward go side to side. They seem kind of tucked up in there almost.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!