HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A new member caused this old thread to be resurrected so I read member Montana's post again.

I wonder if the owner with the transmission issue who claimed his "extended warranty" was denied actually had a Honda Extended Warranty or a no-name warranty sold by the Honda dealer.

Most consumers know that aftermarket warranties sold by car dealers, boat dealers, motorsports dealers, etc. are unreliable and usually find a way to deny claims.

I would NEVER purchase an aftermarket extended warranty but I did buy Honda brand warranties from Honda dealers for a Goldwing I bought new in 2011 and for my wife's then new Honda Pilot suv. I had an expensive electrical component failure on the Goldwing at 93,000 miles and a split radiator seam and coolant leak in the Pilot at close to 60,000 miles. Honda honored the warranty without argument in both cases.

My experience with extended warranties issued by the manufacturer and sold by a dealer are 100% reliable while aftermarket warranties are often a waste of money.

I suspect Montana was forced to quit selling a nice aftermarket part by inaccurate description of a warranty when an aftermarket warranty failed to honor a valid claim.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I suspect Montana was forced to quit selling a nice aftermarket part by inaccurate description of a warranty when an aftermarket warranty failed to honor a valid claim.
Yup, quit on his own behalf. He made a great product. Never heard anyone but the member in question have any issue with these.
I call BS on it from the claimie!
@Montana come back.

Reactions: ChadD and HBarlow
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I wonder if the owner with the transmission issue who claimed his "extended warranty" was denied actually had a Honda Extended Warranty or a no-name warranty sold by the Honda dealer.
Do we know who this person is?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is the last post explaining why.
IMG 0036

On a side note, there are alot of Tkts that could have been written in this thread with new members :oops::p

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Montana's post above is all I knew about his decision.

I've had one of his shifter plates on my buggy for about three years. My Honda dealer installed it for me during a routine service!

There's nothing about the shifter plate that could cause a problem or worsen an existing issue.

If I needed one I would try to track down @Montana and talk with him by phone. My guess is 30 or more of us are using his shifter plate with no issues.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I forgot to mention in a previous message - the Goldwing with 93,000 miles that Honda honored the extended warranty on had several mods for comfort and convenience. Not engine/performance mods.

It had aftermarket floorboards instead of foot pegs, a heal and toe shifter, handlebar riser, rider back rest, Garmin, aftermarket grips, etc.

Honda is a smart company with smart engineers and managers. They know the modifications that would cause failures and void a warranty.

Reactions: ChadD
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Generally speaking, in many states there are consumer protection laws to prevent denial of coverage without good cause. That said, I'm guessing Honda might have based their denial on the idea that the cover would alter the depth of the gates and thus not allow full travel of the shift lever to fully engage each detent. If that were the case, one might reach the conclusion that the mod was causal.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
RAD Customs build them and has a website. I've had one on mine for 3 years. The main frame is black and the letters come in several different colors.
IMG 0342

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I think I have one of the last covers that @Montana made.

The idea that his design was causing transmission shifting problems is poppy cock at best. There’s no way the cover and gasket is impeding the shifter.

What’s absolutely the killer of the Honda transmission is not coming to a full stop before charging gear….just one time of this will chew the crap outta the subtrans. My bet is this is what really happened and the cover got blamed instead.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think I have one of the last covers that @Montana made.

The idea that his design was causing transmission shifting problems is poppy cock at best. There’s no way the cover and gasket is impeding the shifter.

What’s absolutely the killer of the Honda transmission is not coming to a full stop before charging gear….just one time of this will chew the crap outta the subtrans. My bet is this is what really happened and the cover got blamed instead.
here IMO

It’s a draft, shove paper towels, cut a piece of rubber, piece of foam/sponge and move on if it’s that uncomfortable

C

chucksmith0706

Jul 22, 2020
Louisiana
Here I was thinking, I was about to pull the trigger on them. Guess not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Anyone have a straight on blown up pic of the shifter in stock form?
Heres one. Had to look back in my build for it. When I get back up to the cabin i can text you a more detailed one if u like.
IMG 0053

Reactions: trigger and ChadD
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few years ago I came up with a redesign or variation of Montana and RAD Customs shifter covers. I wanted to have the cover sit inside the opening versus being on the outside. I designed 2 separate pieces, 1 for the gear selector and 1 for the 4wd selector like RAD Customs cover. These pieces are 3d printed in 2 layers with a piece of rubber sandwiched between them. I would be happy to send the files if anyone could use them. I liked the quality of Montana's cover and specifically the gasket material, so I actually bought a couple of the replacement gaskets from him (Larry is his name) and used them on my design.

Reactions: HBarlow and ChadD
NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few years ago I came up with a redesign or variation of Montana and RAD Customs shifter covers. I wanted to have the cover sit inside the opening versus being on the outside. I designed 2 separate pieces, 1 for the gear selector and 1 for the 4wd selector like RAD Customs cover. These pieces are 3d printed in 2 layers with a piece of rubber sandwiched between them. I would be happy to send the files if anyone could use them. I liked the quality of Montana's cover and specifically the gasket material, so I actually bought a couple of the replacement gaskets from him (Larry is his name) and used them on my design.
Do you have pictures of the shifter covers?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm just about ready to replace the rubber, but after 3+ years it has worked well. Db6e655a3e21aed4e11e6d01ea30541eDa2343d26568d98fa01cef0ae5f1010a

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!