P700 Cracked the windshield trailering

B

BadDog

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
I have the 700-4 with two piece hard coat plastic windshield, and factory hardtop. Never had an issue trailering with the windshield on until now. I was bringing the Honda home from our cottage at highway speeds (70-80 mph). It's about a 5 hour drive. I stopped for gas about an hour from home and noticed the upper edge had caved in from the wind. There was a 3" crack near the top. I popped it back out and slowed down (to 60-65 mph) for the rest of the drive. When I got home the windshield had caved again, despite traveling at reduced speeds.

I'm thinking about cutting a piece of plywood to cover the windshield while trailering. Not sure yet how to protect the windshield from scratches from the plywood. I'm interested to see and hear what others have done.

Removing the windshield to trailer is not a good option because I don't normally have extra storage space when hauling the Pioneer. In the winter I add soft sided doors for ice fishing, and to keep snow out. If I end up removing the windshield to trailer, I'll end up needing additional storage space for the doors. Now I just use bungees to hold the doors closed when trailering in the winter.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have the 700-4 with two piece hard coat plastic windshield, and factory hardtop. Never had an issue trailering with the windshield on until now. I was bringing the Honda home from our cottage at highway speeds (70-80 mph). It's about a 5 hour drive. I stopped for gas about an hour from home and noticed the upper edge had caved in from the wind. There was a 3" crack near the top. I popped it back out and slowed down (to 60-65 mph) for the rest of the drive. When I got home the windshield had caved again, despite traveling at reduced speeds.

I'm thinking about cutting a piece of plywood to cover the windshield while trailering. Not sure yet how to protect the windshield from scratches from the plywood. I'm interested to see and hear what others have done.

Removing the windshield to trailer is not a good option because I don't normally have extra storage space when hauling the Pioneer. In the winter I add soft sided doors for ice fishing, and to keep snow out. If I end up removing the windshield to trailer, I'll end up needing additional storage space for the doors. Now I just use bungees to hold the doors closed when trailering in the winter.
Drilling a small hole at the bottom of that three inch crack should stop it from spreading. Putting some sort of fabric between your plywood and the windshield would probably protect from scratches, but if it rained and got the fabric wet and then froze, I’m not so sure. And the plywood would need to be secured so tight that there was zero movement in it from vibration and bouncing going down the road, IMO.

Reactions: Eltobgi and jinx
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Use plastic capillary glue on the crack and it’ll more then likely fix it. If it’s clean when you apply it the crack can be nearly invisible.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I take my top piece off when I haul mine put behind seats in truck. You could wrap it in an old blanket and put in your floorboard and dash In your 700. It would be easier than plywood Honda clips make it a 3 minute job.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
As suggested you will definitely want to drill a hole to stop the crack. I use a piece of 1x2 across and behind my half windshield to support it when trailering. That may be all you need to do. You may also want to got some temporary removable protective plastic film and lay a strip across the windshield for trailering too. I ruined my full windshield by having a tarp over the front of the unit and it rubbed a gazillion scratches into it. The film would have prevented that.

This is what I use: Windows Protection Film

MikeG

MikeG

Dec 30, 2017
Baton Rouge LA.
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you go the plywood route just glue felt to the side facing the windshield

Reactions: TimG
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Reinforce the backside of the windshield where it bows when trailering using the ROPS as support for something like a bar and pool noodle. It may help to sit in the 700 while being trailered down the road and see what is failing and causing it to bow. The solution might just be to mod your windshield by adding additional clamps. Good luck

Reactions: TimG
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I used to put a ratchet strap around the rops and both the straps behind the plastic windshield. Just make sure the ratchet parts dont touch the plastic.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I used to put a ratchet strap around the rops and bother straps behind the plastic windshield. Just make sure the ratchet parts dont touch the plastic.
That’s a great idea

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@jrplaza2008 has been using this method since the 2015 Takeover.

Reactions: Montecresto
B

Benjy

Sep 10, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
Had mine do this same thing when on a trip. Found that if I opened the window up a little, just a couple of inches, I didn't have this issue anymore. I am guessing that this changes the impact point of the air on the windshield and actually deflects the air up rather than driving it into the top of the windshield.

Dallasaero

Dallasaero

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Poplar MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Colby Canvas will build you the best windshield cover ever. Their number is (785)462-3981. They are great people to work with and the service is unbelievable. I've used them for my tractors, boats, and SxS. Great workmanship.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I put one edge of my windshield into a piece of aluminum channel (1/2 tall x 3/8 groove just barely shorter than roll cage inside span) glue in with epdm rubber caulk. Made it waaay stiffer. Wife said I need some of that for me too.

H

Hwysupr

Oct 27, 2015
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4
Had my 2 piece for 4 years making many trips down south for hunting and always fold down the top. Run 70 to 75 on interstate and never an issue with the windshield.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!