Cummins Built Not Bought/The Life of Frankie.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I've been following this thread from the beginning. At my age, I'm not easily impressed, but I am seriously impressed by this build. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see it finished.
Yea, we all can’t wait to see the finished product! Love the daily updates and seeing everything coming together!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been following this thread from the beginning. At my age, I'm not easily impressed, but I am seriously impressed by this build. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see it finished.
Well thank you. It’s kinda fun documenting projects, actually helps me at times if need to go back to something. There’s things that would cross over to someone else’s project and maybe they can learn what not to do lol. Try to be somewhat detailed both good and bad, I do tend to show my mistakes and what learned.
This is the largest scale project since my bus and since I’m not made of money sometimes things are slow and painful, I’ll go the hard way instead of the easy way but it’ll get finished soon.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Well thank you. It’s kinda fun documenting projects, actually helps me at times if need to go back to something. There’s things that would cross over to someone else’s project and maybe they can learn what not to do lol. Try to be somewhat detailed both good and bad, I do tend to show my mistakes and what learned.
This is the largest scale project since my bus and since I’m not made of money sometimes things are slow and painful, I’ll go the hard way instead of the easy way but it’ll get finished soon.
Yea I need to get me a project like that so I can keep learning new things!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cab lights in. Not the factory ones, I like these a lot better. Went clear so they aren’t quite as obvious. Wife and I decided awhile back since she’s going to have big hips in back, might as well look the part. I do believe it’s safer too, you tend to make room for a semi coming at you. Won’t miss this one.
1BE6B8A3 18B5 4ED9 AC58 00ABADBBC7D3
9EB56FD7 0E22 455B 9AE8 3961883AD4C3

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
New glass will be here tomorrow so trying to button up the headliner crap today, at least good enough it can stay in. Pulled it out and ran wires for the new dome light, while it was out threw in some sound deadening.
Non headliner trucks had insulation in between the two metal panels, which this truck was. So it’ll have that then new headliner and now sound deadener as well. Should be pretty well insulated up. Another 30lbs lol.
Left the edges alone otherwise the new headliner would struggle with fitment, it’s close.
31597310 E704 434E A31A CCC2FDE168D1

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Cab lights in. Not the factory ones, I like these a lot better. Went clear so they aren’t quite as obvious. Wife and I decided awhile back since she’s going to have big hips in back, might as well look the part. I do believe it’s safer too, you tend to make room for a semi coming at you. Won’t miss this one.
View attachment 259177View attachment 259176

Put a set on mine too a couple months ago. A $67 option when they made the truck cost me $600, factory lights, harness and install. Considered doing it myself but you don't just drill a hole anymore, the lights are square cut through the roof.
Just a fun fact...did some research before buying them as to what they're actually for other than looking BA. Read where it's required whenever something 8' wide or more is being towed.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Figured this noteworthy. Even though I repaired the broken up donor dash (rough life) I added an extra screw all along everything where it mounts up. Being on dirt roads as much as we are I didn’t want it breaking up again. Also added double back tape along the mounting points where screws are to really hold it in and not allow vibrations. Like everything else it got all new screws, used newer trim style for these. This was last step to the dash.
BEB8F63E 2131 418F BE72 1DFD3AFC5904

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Put a set on mine too a couple months ago. A $67 option when they made the truck cost me $600, factory lights, harness and install. Considered doing it myself but you don't just drill a hole anymore, the lights are square cut through the roof.
Just a fun fact...did some research before buying them as to what they're actually for other than looking BA. Read where it's required whenever something 8' wide or more is being towed.
Apparently here they are required if the vehicle is a dually, not that I believe they’d bust you for it.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Figured this noteworthy. Even though I repaired the broken up donor dash (rough life) I added an extra screw all along everything where it mounts up. Being on dirt roads as much as we are I didn’t want it breaking up again. Also added double back tape along the mounting points where screws are to really hold it in and not allow vibrations. Like everything else it got all new screws, used newer trim style for these. This was last step to the dash.
View attachment 259412
Neoprene washers can do wonders as well. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya I hadn’t thought of that. Feel dumb, would be simple and cheap too. Good call!
I help where I can, I used them in an old F150 I had to settle the door rattle that wouldn’t go away. I don’t remember who told me about them though, been a few moons ago.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I help where I can, I used them in an old F150 I had to settle the door rattle that wouldn’t go away. I don’t remember who told me about them though, been a few moons ago.
Wish you’d brought that little gem up a month ago lol.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
View attachment 259177View attachment 259176
When I first read this I thought, Wow, he's making cracks about his wife's weight? :eek: It took a few seconds for the light bulb in my head to come on! Good job! :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Been dreading this but wasn’t bad. Needed to add the transfer case shifter and linkage. Some adjustments had to be made because this transfer was never paired with the 4500 5-speed.

here’s the new mount to the trans that was installed awhile back. Looking down through shifter hole in floor.
5EAAEC22 CAB4 42FC B292 067961290A7F

And an original first gen gated shifter. Notice the far out shift gate was used.

87AEC79B 9FEA 48A9 95CA 29238C2E4764

406CA015 D41B 4250 BB30 D17060EFF06A

had to grind off the stud that the handle pivots on, cut 7/8” off then grind down the end till it fit in the hole and weld up.

A189D6A2 0910 4D6C B745 39501A0992C9

here’s piece I cut off the stud and had to match to fit back in.
BAC0E02B 560C 4FAB 8328 E5B0C76CA7CC

Had to then cut down the nylon spacer between mount and handle as well.
Added a bushing that keeps spring centered and a nylon washer (should’ve been like that at factory) to help from binding then cleaned up and a little paint.

this all will allow shifter to be centered in the factory hole The lower nylon guide was moved to other side, I screwed up in hurry leaving my work.

tightened everything up and made a little clearance, there won’t be that shifter rattle that’s common.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!