P500 CV Boot emergency repair

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Back a few weeks ago, late in the afternoon, I had my 500 on the trailer and was packed up ready to leave for a 2 week trip to Colorado the next morning. I just happened to notice that the CV boot on the drive shaft between the transmission and the rear end had a tear in it about an inch to inch and a half long. I'd never have seen it, but the 2015 Pioneer was up on the trailer and the tear was looking right at me. There was no way I had time to get it fixed. I looked in the hole the best I could and it looked clean inside the boot. I put some more grease into the boot and then washed it with 90% rubbing alcohol and let it dry, then I went hunting through my shop for something to patch it with. All I came up with was a tube of "Shoe GOO". Now I keep this stuff around to fix shoe soles, rubber boots and other things. It's pretty tough, so I put a bead of it over the rip in the CV boot. I didn't figure it would hold, but it was the best I had and I figured that however long it stayed on was just that much better than nothing. I knew that after two weeks of hard running in Colorado I'd need to replace both the boot and joint. Well I did run it hard, lots of dust the first week and mud the second. When I got home I got the high pressure washer out to get all the mud off both my truck and the 500. Well, when I finally got enough mud off to see the CV boot, I was shocked. The Shoe GOO has held and looks just fine. It's still sealed perfectly with no cracks or loose spots. I'm impressed to say the least. So if you need a quick repair for a CV boot, try a $4.00 tube of Shoe GOO.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Shoe Goo is still holding after 4 months and several 100 miles, been in snow and 10* in Colorado, mud and more mud back here in Arkansas with all the rain we've had. Still surprised that it's as tough as it is. Washed it with my high pressure washer several times because it was packed just about solid with mud and there are no signs of it pulling loose, even on the edges.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Shoe Goo is still holding after 4 months and several 100 miles, been in snow and 10* in Colorado, mud and more mud back here in Arkansas with all the rain we've had. Still surprised that it's as tough as it is. Washed it with my high pressure washer several times because it was packed just about solid with mud and there are no signs of it pulling loose, even on the edges.
Good tip!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I used it to repair the driveshaft boot and it’s holding up well!!

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Getting ready for my fall trip to Colorado and after servicing my 500 I thought about the boot with the Shoe Goo patch on it. Checked it out and after a year it's still holding just fine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Getting ready for my fall trip to Colorado and after servicing my 500 I thought about the boot with the Shoe Goo patch on it. Checked it out and after a year it's still holding just fine.
Sweet.
I fixed one on a Rincon that lasted..... well.
I sold it like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did this repair to the mid boot on mine after you posted it last year and it’s still holding...:cool:

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I'm happy with some sirloin!

Love the pictures.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just used some clear Shoo Goo to fix a tear in a boat cushion, smooth rubber finish. Good stuff, knew I would find a use for that black and clear 2 pack before long.

Last edited:
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I was washing my 500 today while it was still up on the trailer, where it's easier for and old geezer like me to clean up underneath it. I noticed the Shoo Goo patch on the boot. I hit it with the pressure washer, poked it with my finger and flexed the boot as best I could with my hand. Best I can tell after almost 2 years now it's holding just fine. I'd really planned on replacing the boot after I returned from Colorado back in October of 2018, but when I saw how well it was holding I decided to see how long it would last. It's still there.

L

Lburou

Dec 3, 2019
Dallas/Fort Worth area, USA
Ownership

1. 500
We use shoe goo for sealing and gap filling repairs all the time. It can sometimes be found in dollar stores. Thanks for your reports!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!