ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you find 4x10 3/8 sheet for around 300$ then , DIY is better and cost effective , since u can make 2 plates.

But if not, then SSS is next choice but look for overstock.com coupons and dont tell the SSS to price match they are greedy and will complain to the seller not to honor any coupons or discounts.

SSS in NOT very well designed the overlaps are weak and will tear away or break since they are 3/16 which is half of 3/8. Look for one that has edges that are abutted and have a backing plate or are thicker ½” so the overlaps are ¼” or better. They still are likely to shear/crack at the point where the thickness changes abruptly.

And what he said SSS are greedy bastards, overstock had a 25% off coupon a couple years ago and SSS pissed and moaned to cancel orders or delayed or added shipping charges. The owner of SSS is a massive a-hole.

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPI, already cut and ready to install. What do you all think about this product. They have it in aluminum and UHMW.

2015-2016 Honda Pioneer 500 UHMW skid plate

UHMW is better hands down, than aluminum. It is self lubricating meaning it slides over rocks, mud, trees, anything that would grab onto aluminum. It retains its original manufactured shape after impacts unlike aluminum. It absorbs impacts better than aluminum and it is far more abrasion resistant, they use it in ore conveyors in mines.

The 700 does GREAT with a well designed ⅜" UHMW skid. I had one on my 700 and it never gave me any issues.
The 1000 is a heavier machine and ⅜ isn't enough I have already pushed the cross members up. I picked up a piece of 3/16 aluminum from another member and my main portion has a ⅜" UHMW with 3/16" aluminum above it and sandwiched to it. I think there is a tipping point somewhere between the 700-1000 for the weight ⅜ will handle well.

This will take you to the post in my build thread where I just recently added it. Like I said its a 50% heavier machine, so ⅜ UHMW would most likely be fine for the 500 if it works fine for a 700 which is 2/3rd of the way to a 1000 in weight difference. In defense of my skid I do ENJOY rocky trails :D

Rock Donkey

Reactions: BuckCreek01
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
UHMW is better hands down, than aluminum. It is self lubricating meaning it slides over rocks, mud, trees, anything that would grab onto aluminum. It retains its original manufactured shape after impacts unlike aluminum. It absorbs impacts better than aluminum and it is far more abrasion resistant, they use it in ore conveyors in mines.

The 700 does GREAT with a well designed ⅜" UHMW skid. I had one on my 700 and it never gave me any issues.
The 1000 is a heavier machine and ⅜ isn't enough I have already pushed the cross members up. I picked up a piece of 3/16 aluminum from another member and my main portion has a ⅜" UHMW with 3/16" aluminum above it and sandwiched to it. I think there is a tipping point somewhere between the 700-1000 for the weight ⅜ will handle well.

This will take you to the post in my build thread where I just recently added it. Like I said its a 50% heavier machine, so ⅜ UHMW would most likely be fine for the 500 if it works fine for a 700 which is 2/3rd of the way to a 1000 in weight difference. In defense of my skid I do ENJOY rocky trails :D

Rock Donkey

I will definitely go with the UHMW. UPI is selling 3/8" made for the P5 for less than $300.00. Have you checked my link in the above post? It is a 3 piece skid design from U.P.I. and your opinion is valued.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will definitely go with the UHMW. UPI is selling 3/8" made for the P5 for less than $300.00. Have you checked my link in the above post? It is a 3 piece skid design from U.P.I. and your opinion is valued.

Those interlock like puzzle pieces instead of overlapping, I like that. I'd pick up some extra UHM and make a piece to go under the left and right sides outside the main frame rails. I had sticks nearly get me there on my 700, which is why I upgraded in the first place.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Those interlock like puzzle pieces instead of overlapping, I like that. I'd pick up some extra UHM and make a piece to go under the left and right sides outside the main frame rails. I had sticks nearly get me there on my 700, which is why I upgraded in the first place.

Excellent, I will go that route..

Thanks for the time and Information.

C

Chartmarker

Jun 11, 2018
Tucson, Az.
Ownership

1. 500
UPI, already cut and ready to install. What do you all think about this product. They have it in aluminum and UHMW.

I got my Skid plates from U.P.I. and they are very durable against the rocks of the Arizona trails. We probably would not be able to ride on half the trails and places that we can with them.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger you were correct early on by telling me to buy the whole protection kit, that I would do it eventually any way. My wife and I have an agreement though. Whatever I spend on fun, she can spend the equivalent. Slow I must go. My wife now wants a new Honda Odyssey.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger you were correct early on by telling me to buy the whole protection kit, that I would do it eventually any way. My wife and I have an agreement though. Whatever I spend on fun, she can spend the equivalent. Slow I must go. My wife now wants a new Honda Odyssey.

Would never steer you wrong, not on purpose anyway.
Lol...glad I never made that arrangement with my wife, she'd have a lot of expensive sh**! :D

advertisement
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

I got those on eBay for $250
2015-2018 HONDA PIONEER 500 3/8" UHMW POLY SKID PLATE GUARD OFF ROAD USA MADE | eBay

I also got Ricochet Rock Sliders and A-Arm
Honda Pioneer 500

Factory skids really took a beating at Takeover
Skids05 Skids11 Skids12

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: DaddyDubbs
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought the UPI and seem well made .the only problem I had was on the 2017 p5 the center skid plate has 2 holes on the rear that are different than 2015-16.just had to drill new holes the upi plate.in 2017 Honda put a metal center skid plate on. Needed to get Xtra washer from Honda also because the metal skid plate doesn't use them if I remember right but all in all I'm very happy with them

Last edited:
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I bought the UPI and seem well made .the only problem I had was on the 2017 p5 the center skid plate has 2 holes on the rear that are different than 2015-16.just had to drill new holes the upi plate.in 2017 Honda put a metal center skid plate on. Needed to get Xtra washer from Honda also because the metal skid plate doesn't use them if I remember right but all in all I'm very happy with them
Forgot to mention about those two holes on the '17, just drill and tap
When I took OEM skids off, I had to order a full set of washers, ordered through my local dealer because no aftermarket supplier had more than 5 in stock and the dealers price was only 5 cents more and no shipping charge. I also bought stainless steel screws and replaced everything.
Skids13

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!