Dash heat... A Different Approach

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello everyone. I, like many of you with a windshield/roof/rear panel setup, have been struggling with dash heat through the shifter slots and seat heat. I've seen several innovative solutions on this forum to solve these issues that are very effective, and I'd like to offer my solutions. For the seat heat I ran a continous sheet of automotive double sided foil heat shield from the front of the seat frame to the top of the frame for the seat back with the only openings being tiny slits for the seat belts and locating pegs/hooks for the seat bottom. Works wonders! Great! Problem solved. Then I was going to mod my dash using one of several ideas I saw on this site and then I had an idea... The crux of the problem is caused by a low pressure condition created in the cab at speed causing radiator heat to be, not blown in, but sucked in through the shifter slots and steering column. So I figured... All I gotta do is overcome the pressure of the radiator- heated air and get some ambient temperature air coming through those slots. So I came up with this...

IMG 0469

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello everyone. I, like many of you with a windshield/roof/rear panel setup, have been struggling with dash heat through the shifter slots and seat heat. I've seen several innovative solutions on this forum to solve these issues that are very effective, and I'd like to offer my solutions. For the seat heat I ran a continous sheet of automotive double sided foil heat shield from the front of the seat frame to the top of the frame for the seat back with the only openings being tiny slits for the seat belts and locating pegs/hooks for the seat bottom. Works wonders! Great! Problem solved. Then I was going to mod my dash using one of several ideas I saw on this site and then I had an idea... The crux of the problem is caused by a low pressure condition created in the cab at speed causing radiator heat to be, not blown in, but sucked in through the shifter slots and steering column. So I figured... All I gotta do is overcome the pressure of the radiator heated air and get some ambient temperature air coming through those slots. So I came up with this...

View attachment 48754
It's an automotive grille material that I fitted. Works unbelievebly well!!! If you'd like to try this experiment, it's easy. Prepare a 2"x4" that's about six inches long. Just carry it with you for now. Get your machine good and hot to create the condition (five minutes of hard riding then stop and let 'er idle for five more. Now she's breathing hard and everything under the hood is hot. Accelerate to 40-50-60 MPH. Feels like 3 blowdryers in yer face eh? Now remove your center hood section and put it back on...but without hooking the two front tabs. Go ahead and latch your cam lock thingys near the cowl. Now lift the front of your hood, take your 2"x4" and wedge it longitudally between your hood and where your hood normally closes. Accelerate to 40-50-60 MPH. You'll notice it completely goes from heated air to ambient air (which actually feels cool when you're sweating!) And I ordered some dash vents for my "death certificate" panel. In the summer I'll have the hood grille insert installed allowing ambient air to blast through my vents and in the winter, simply remove and store the hood grille insert and let mother nature suck up that radiator heat. Hope this helps someone!!!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As a side benefit, in my opinion, it adds a sinister look!!!

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess I should show detailed pics lol!!!

IMG 0476

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cardboard template. (the hardest part!!!)

IMG 0478

advertisement
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's pretty innovative, I've never been bothered by the dash heat, the seat heat is my only complaint, and in my location it's only a problem 2 months out of the year. We just pull the front doors and the seat heat is gone. The rest of the time it's welcomed.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
looks like you got yourself a turbo rzr hood.. Looks pretty kick ass even if it doesnt end up helping
Oh it helps! I tested the final setup this morning. It COMPLETELY replaces heated air with ambient temp air! And for the first time, I noticed Honda's feeble attempt at blocking that heat. The ram air effect from the hood grille blew some kinda inner tube looking piece of rubber sheet up against the inside of the dash. I saw it through the slots. Never knew that piece was there. That thing is useless.

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
That's pretty innovative, I've never been bothered by the dash heat, the seat heat is my only complaint, and in my location it's only a problem 2 months out of the year. We just pull the front doors and the seat heat is gone. The rest of the time it's welcomed.

Dash heat is what bothers me the most. i have plans to cut out some dynomat or sunshade material in the shape of my firewall inside the cab. then just attach it with Velcro for the the summer.

Reactions: moparornocar
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Good idea. Watch your air intake - might be more vulnerable to water splashing in there.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good idea. Watch your air intake - might be more vulnerable to water splashing in there.
Yeah. I thought of that too but as vunerable as the intake hole is from the factory, (behind a spinning fan?) I think water would enter there first. I'm soon gonna snorkle it right out of the primary filter between the cab and bed. I may have to service the filter a little more often from dust but it beats the alternative. When I read of other users having up to 2 quarts of water sloshing around in the lowest part of their intake pipe that did it for me. That's an engine failure waiting to happen. No way to ride 10 or 15 years and never ever get water in that bowl. One day that pipe is gonna develop a split or a puncture or a wear-through from a clamp or something and boom. It's over. Thanks!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!