P500 Day 1 maintenance

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
If you go into the battery box again, you might consider adding a battery tender to the P500....
Thanks, my extra pig tails just came in today, any reason I can't connect them to the power feed to the winch solenoid, since I plan on mounting the port some where around the dash.

Reactions: alloutdoors
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Thanks, my extra pig tails just came in today, any reason I can't connect them to the power feed to the winch solenoid, since I plan on mounting the port some where around the dash.

I'm no electrical guy, so take this for what its worth and guess only..... I would think to back feed backwards to the battery though the connector mention implies the winch would work without the key on, i.e., needs to be open between them. Hopefully some additional folks can weigh in, but I would go with direct battery connection and for myself, I ran the small pig tail up behind the passenger seat very handy.....

Reactions: dtng
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I would think to back feed backwards to the battery though the connector mention implies the winch would work without the key on, i.e., needs to be open between them. Hopefully some additional folks can weigh in,
The wires from the battery go directly to the line side of winch relay. The key on power is only required to allow the current to flow through the relay to the winch.
To keep the connections at the battery to the minimum I just mounted my battery tender under the front hood and connected it to the winch relay. I have left the 120v plug zip tied to the rad grill as would be normal on your car or truck. I am not sure if the battery will back-feed through the tender when it isn't plugged in; if it does it will drain my battery and I will have to change my plan

Reactions: dtng
dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I'm no electrical guy, so take this for what its worth and guess only..... I would think to back feed backwards to the battery though the connector mention implies the winch would work without the key on, i.e., needs to be open between them. Hopefully some additional folks can weigh in, but I would go with direct battery connection and for myself, I ran the small pig tail up behind the passenger seat very handy.....
Thanks alloutdoors, I'm not an electrical guy either, the connector on my motorcycle and lawn tractor are both directly to the battery. The feed to the winch solenoid comes directly from the battery with an inline fuse back by the battery, seems to me that's simply an extension of the battery terminals, I'm not sure if the fuse would be an issue. That said there is always a hot line to the solenoid, like a starter solenoid, if you jumped that feed across the solenoid to the wires connected to the winch it should run, not sure if it would go in or out, I'm guessing it would be determined by which wires you jump. The dash and remote controllers are only hot when the key is on, it's connected to the Honda sub harness which BTW is a great add on especially for $9. I'd love to here from anyone who understands electric better than me, I want to make sure I get this right.

dtng

dtng

Sep 25, 2018
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
The wires from the battery go directly to the line side of winch relay. The key on power is only required to allow the current to flow through the relay to the winch.
To keep the connections at the battery to the minimum I just mounted my battery tender under the front hood and connected it to the winch relay. I have left the 120v plug zip tied to the rad grill as would be normal on your car or truck. I am not sure if the battery will back-feed through the tender when it isn't plugged in; if it does it will drain my battery and I will have to change my plan
Thanks tomcj2, sounds like you're doing the same as me. I would think the Tender is protected from back feed when not plugged in, otherwise you would have the same problem when it's connected directly to the battery. Never had a problem with any of the other toys but then again if mine is connected to the bike it's also plugged in to the wall so it would only happen if I had a power outage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!