Not open for further replies.
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After talking with the powers that be at this forum, we felt it was best if I started a separate thread on the cons of the 1000. Listing in a very concise manner any complaints.

Everyone is encouraged to post absolutely anything that you would like to see changed, added or modified.

This is the ONLY method that is going to get Honda to change things. Honda views these threads.

I am not going to list any of the pros. There is no need to. There's a wealth of information available on the web as to the positives of this machine. Everybody but everybody knows about it's unique, wonderful transmission, its powerful engine, it's five seats, there was just no reason to bring that up here. Heck, its the reason I bought it myself!

What can NOT be found anywhere is a simple, ongoing list of complaints or issues from the owners on the any of the 1000 models. There are tons of isolated issues and compliants. But not in one, centralized area. I wish I had come across such a post before I purchased.

Let me also clearly state that I am extremely pleased with my purchase and there are still many good reasons to purchase the 1000. This is NOT a list of why you shouldn't purchase the 1000. All things considered, you should. It is an absolute wonderful machine and with the exception of the dump bed, I couldn't be happier.

Dear Honda,

I recently, after much research, spent $23,000 with your company. I did so with the satisfaction and peace of mind of knowing that if it has the Honda name behind it, it is sure to be a superb product!

The name Honda has been synonymous with excellence for many decades.

Nobody faults you for making an error, these are very complicated and
highly engineered machines. We all make mistakes and feedback from your consumers should be at the top of your priority list when you have introduced a brand-new vehicle to the market in its first year of production.

Nobody will ever fault you for making a mistake, but everybody will fault you for failing to rectify it.

Please don't be like every other company, turning a blind eye to an issue that clearly is a legitimate flaw and engineering failure.

Honda, I don't think you can disagree that spending that kind of money for a UTV would be called exorbitant. But I was willing to do so because I knew it had the Honda name behind it. It wasnt the UTV that sold me, as much as it was a HONDA UTV.

Cons

1) The dump bed:

The dump bed that is so heavily advertised and touted in all of your social media, does not dump. In fact, it simply does not work. I'm sure you can see the absurdity in that without me having to languish on, but I will anyway.

This is a Honda, and that should mean something to you all at Honda. It did to me and at a minimum, I would hope it does to you also.

Do you manufacture motorbikes without the headlights working? No.
Do you manufacture cars without the air-conditioner working? No
Do you manufacture UTV's without the dump trailer dumping? Yes.

Just because someone only drives in the day and has no use for the headlights doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Just because someone lives in Alaska and doesn't use the air conditioner doesn't mean you can ignore it.

And just because people use this as a cargo bed and don't dump much, doesn't mean you can ignore it.

I would like to think you're paying attention to this issue. But knowing you had the same complaints with the dump bed not dumping on the 700 model, i don't see how I can.

This is not a complaint about the seats not being comfortable. This is not a complaint about I don't like the way it handles. This is a complaint about one of the most basic functions of your product, a dump bed. And the dump does not dump?

May I repeat that again? The dump bed on your $20,000 vehicle? Ya know what?

IT......DOES.... NOT.....DUMP. Do you folks at Honda consider this a pretty major issue? Because I know I do.

Monitoring these threads in the background without taking the time to make comments concerning issues of your own product is not really cool.

Without chasing you away and making you an enemy Honda, I need you to fully realize that there are legal implications and ramifications involved here. If you have videos and pictures and websites showing a dump trailer dumping when in reality it does not dump, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNEW AHEAD OF TIME, that is an open and shut case of false advertising.

But putting the legal issues on the side for the moment, how about let's just have some dignity and character and let's maintain the vision that Honda is synonymous with excellence, by stepping up and coming up with a solution to this problem and then going back and rectifying it for the tons of people that trusted in your product and bought it simply because it had the Honda name.

Show us Americans that the Japanese culture of pride is real and not a Hollywood fallacy!

Show us you're more interested in the consumer, than the consumers money. Show us or me that you care. Because I don't look at this as a trivial complaint or a minor issue. Individuals have spent their hard-working dollars on a machine that is universal and should be able to perform in one of its most basic categories, dumping!

Dumping a load of rock, mulch, dirt or sand. Doesn't matter what the product is that's being dumped, it just has to be able to actually dump.

By mere virtue of the fact that this issue was present on your 700 models, I can only assume that you have no intention of changing it for future models, as the 1000 IS THE FUTURE model and you did nothing to change the fact that the bed couldn't dump???

I am sure in some conference room, this has been discussed and the decision has simply been made that the vast majority of purchasers are using this as a cargo bed and don't really care that it doesn't dump. No complaints, no solution.

But I can assure you, that you will only be able to hide and run from the legal issues involved here for so long. It's just a matter of time and a matter of years before enough consumers are duped into purchasing this machine with the understanding that the dump bed can actually dump. And than finding out post purchase it cannot.

Enough said from me, hopefully others will add. I will await a reply and or solution to this problem! And I can assure you, I am not going to gradually and gently fade away into the sunset Honda. I'm going to pursue this issue with much vigor!

2) Storage compartments:

Some of the cheapest UTV's out there have multiple storage options. Once again, it appears to me that most of your engineering went into the performance of the 1000 and that end user comfort and conveniences were not well thought out.

I could understand if there was no room, but this is a very roomy machine and storage could have easily been incorporated into the design. One glove box is simply not enough.

3) An emergency / parking brake:

Geez, how you all missed that is totally beyond my imagination. I welcome the Honda engineers and design team to come out to my property at any time to show you real world usage of the 1000.

I want to show you what it's like to be parked on a 45 degree incline, thousand pounds of weight in the cargo bed (my newly defined name for it since it doesn't dump) and then putting it into gear and taking off while having to endure that loud clunking sound scaring you into thinking the transmission is going to drop out.

The additional amount of sheer torque and load you are putting on your transmission going from park into low when just simply releasing the parking break would have sufficed, is immense.

Now let's talk about the safety issues? What happens if the brakes fail? What happens if the transmission doesn't lock or comes out of gear while parked on an incline with a heavy load ?

Once again, you're inviting legal liability into your life Honda, by failing to provide one. It's just a matter of time before this thing slips out of gear or the brakes fail and someone gets killed.

Absolutely any vehicle made should have an emergency parking brake. End of story.

4) Speaking of clunking:

Honda is known for its quiet and smooth operating vehicles. You figured it out in cars and surely you have figured it out in motorbikes and dirt bikes.

Why this thing has to shift like the Flintstone Mobile with a loud clunk and felt jerk prior to every gear, well thats above my pay grade. But my point for actually listing it, is there are a SLEW of posts with people asking if this is normal, so mention it because there are a lot of confused owners wondering.

5) Bed Mat:

Your bed mat needs to have cut outs in it to allow access to your anchor points inside the bed.

6) LED lighting:

We live in a world where LED lighting has come a long ways in the last few years. In that same world, everybody but everybody is installing LED lighting and bars.

I can only assume that you are selling this product based on the ignorance of the consumer not knowing any better.

Your LED light bar has 3,600 lumens for $370??? That equals about a 75 W lightbulb compared to what could be used.

I bought a 26,000 lumen light bar for $119 on Amazon. That equals six times more power for 1/3 third the price.

Just letting everyone out there know, don't even bother with the Honda's.

7) Door handle:

Move the door handle forward and not BEHIND my body please...

And Honda? You should throw in LED headlights on a $20k UTV. Using weak, whimpy, yellow bulb headlamps and then trying to charge your customer more money to actually have a bright headlight that functions well at night, is tacky.

If this was a $10,000 vehicle i would understand. But this is one of the most, if not THE most, expensive UTV on the market. I expect more :)

Last edited:
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm just going to say I disagree with several of your points. Moving on.

The cab is terrible.

The glass windshield is good.
The hard roof is amazing. I did a bad thing, roof literally folded in half, and I just layer it back over. That roof is stupid strong.

1. The half upper doors are s***. Going faster than 40 pulls the doors out of the cab and let's air and dust roll in. There is no seal. No gasket. They are flimsy. I feel that compared to polaris I've been ripped off.

2. The back upper doors are a different story. Those have potential. But they are too small. The opening from the rollcage in the middle to the back is about an inch wider than my doors. Mud and water get in. Again no gasket, however with 2 rigid mounting points (top cage, bottom half door) they do well in terms of staying where they need to. But my doors keep slipping and rolling up the bar. I now have installed a larger piece of rubber, and 2 hose clamps per bracket on the strut side, and that does okay. I'm still just as dissapointing with the back doors as the front, though I feel these were thought out a little more.

3. The dash blows air and dust in your face.

4. The seat blows 90 degree air out multiple places. If I cross a little water steam and humidity just roll in the cab because there is no seal in between the bed and back of seat. There really needs to be a gasket there.

Storage, I don't care about. That's a face value item. I saw it when I bought it.

I spent 1000+ dollars on 4 half fabric doors that don't seal, flop in the wind, and give me nothing but hardship. If these were priced out at half I would be happy with them. Polaris doors are similar in value and seal 100% better.

My 4 points are pretty fair. I feel like some people may disagree with the amount of air coming through the dash, but it's doubtful anyone will disagree with the others. Fix your cab honda. You screwed up. I don't recommend these doors to anyone. I could have paid a welding shop to make me 4 frames and screwed lean to them for less than 400 dollars and would have had a much more rigid door system.

C

Carver

Nov 12, 2015
I'm just going to say I disagree with several of your points. Moving on.

The cab is terrible.

The glass windshield is good.
The hard roof is amazing. I did a bad thing, roof literally folded in half, and I just layer it back over. That roof is stupid strong.

1. The half upper doors are s***. Going faster than 40 pulls the doors out of the cab and let's air and dust roll in. There is no seal. No gasket. They are flimsy. I feel that compared to polaris I've been ripped off.

2. The back upper doors are a different story. Those have potential. But they are too small. The opening from the rollcage in the middle to the back is about an inch wider than my doors. Mud and water get in. Again no gasket, however with 2 rigid mounting points (top cage, bottom half door) they do well in terms of staying where they need to. But my doors keep slipping and rolling up the bar. I now have installed a larger piece of rubber, and 2 hose clamps per bracket on the strut side, and that does okay. I'm still just as dissapointing with the back doors as the front, though I feel these were thought out a little more.

3. The dash blows air and dust in your face.

4. The seat blows 90 degree air out multiple places. If I cross a little water steam and humidity just roll in the cab because there is no seal in between the bed and back of seat. There really needs to be a gasket there.

Storage, I don't care about. That's a face value item. I saw it when I bought it.

I spent 1000+ dollars on 4 half fabric doors that don't seal, flop in the wind, and give me nothing but hardship. If these were priced out at half I would be happy with them. Polaris doors are similar in value and seal 100% better.

My 4 points are pretty fair. I feel like some people may disagree with the amount of air coming through the dash, but it's doubtful anyone will disagree with the others. Fix your cab honda. You screwed up. I don't recommend these doors to anyone. I could have paid a welding shop to make me 4 frames and screwed lean to them for less than 400 dollars and would have had a much more rigid door system.[/QUOTE

I agree with the excessive heat from the seat area and the dash. I have put the sun hade under the seat and it helped some but it seemed to push more heat to the seat back. I have now sealed that with foam but have not have a chance to try it yet. $24,000 and I have spent more time trying to fix the problems than I have riding it. I have a full hard cab for the winter and spent hour after hour trying to seal that up and then I put the half doors on for the summer and try and make it cool enough to ride.

My wife wants the Polaris back so we can actually use the machine.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IF I had to complain about something it would be the hot air coming from under the seat, that gets to be a little much. Trouble is, they could fix it for the upcoming models but I'm not going to be able to buy a new one, probably spent more than I should have on this one.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Dust through dash, and dust/heat from back of seat. I know having a windscreen and top exacerbates the issue. But I should be able to run a windscreen/top year round. It can and will rain outside of winter months here...

Reactions: Kdogkan
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I too purchased the half doors but on the three 3 seat model. I feel your pain BoomBoom. I guess the reason I haven't experienced the issue as much as you as WHEN I had them on ( Took them off day two cuz junk) I wasnt traveling at those speeds but was restricted to slower speeds of my property. And even then I noticed that they were very flimsy.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dust through dash, and dust/heat from back of seat. I know having a windscreen and top exacerbates the issue. But I should be able to run a windscreen/top year round. It can and will rain outside of winter months here...

If dust comes through the dash, have you ever noticed water coming through the dash also? I haven't driven in the rain so I don't know. Would make sense it would but don't know hand on.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
If dust comes through the dash, have you ever noticed water coming through the dash also? I haven't driven in the rain so I don't know. Would make sense it would but don't know hand on.

Normal rain doesn't come through that I've noticed. But water will if you cross a deep enough creek. Most of the dust comes through where the shifters are.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Normal rain doesn't come through that I've noticed. But water will if you cross a deep enough creek. Most of the dust comes through where the shifters are.

Oh heck yes, I can see that now when you said where it comes through. I can see light through there. A rubber seal right there like around a manual gearshift is definitely needed. Good point.

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ride a 1000-5 Deluxe. The dust is not a concern for me, it is an off road vehicle, dust comes with the territory, IMO. Rzr riders, Ranger, Can Am, didnt matter what machine someone was on, everyone got dirty and dusty.

The heat, after now my 3rd time out and temps being near 70 this time, the seat heat is an issue. It was getting uncomfortable by day's end on this last ride. I have half windshield and a bimini top, no other doors or windows, so air flow was good, just too damn hot under my underside. I will try some of the fixes mentioned, the insulation, maybe even a fan. When putting a water bottle on seat and after 2 hours it is warm as coffee, its not good. Unless of course its coffee, then, there you go, you have a built in coffee warmer.

As for the dump bed, only used it for hauling wood, but, with a little assistance, it definitely does dump. Is it as easy as flipping a switch or pulling a hydraulic lever? no, but, it does most definitely dump.

Power was good to great for most part, was me, (6'4", 240, my wife, maybe 130, two daughters, maybe 100-110 each, so about 600 lbs of people, dog, (30) 2 small coolers, tool kit, maybe another 50 total, so could say around 700 lbs. Ran in low probably 3/4 of time on trails, (mtn trails, up, down, rocky) but one time on a pretty good rock climb, ran out of power in low, had to back up, and 2nd time it made it. (noticed buddy's RZR 1000 4 seater, (him, his wife, 2 dogs, also bogged on this rock, so, not terribly concerned over it) Shifted great though rest of time, in both high and low, engine break was great, didn't use breaks much at all over 160 miles of riding.

So over all, yes we got dirty and dusty, but to me, that's expected, everyone was dirty at the end of the day, no matter what they were riding. Dump bed needs a little manual assistance, but, it does work, and came in quite handy actually. But my load was maybd 20-30 pieces of firewood, maybe 300 lbs if I had to guess. It dumped with my help.

My major concern is the seat heat, became unbearable by days end, but, sounds like its a fairly simple fix. Still very happy with the Honda, nothing broke, everything did what it was supposed to. Next ride we are going above tree line, (11-14000 ft) so maybe seat heat will be a bonus. There's the silver lining, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow_Hunter
advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After talking with the powers that be at this forum, we felt it was best if I started a separate thread on the cons of the 1000. Listing in a very concise manner any complaints.

Everyone is encouraged to post absolutely anything that you would like to see changed, added or modified.

This is the ONLY method that is going to get Honda to change things. Honda views these threads.

I am not going to list any of the pros. There is no need to. There's a wealth of information available on the web as to the positives of this machine. Everybody but everybody knows about it's unique, wonderful transmission, its powerful engine, it's five seats, there was just no reason to bring that up here. Heck, its the reason I bought it myself!

What can NOT be found anywhere is a simple, ongoing list of complaints or issues from the owners on the any of the 1000 models. There are tons of isolated issues and compliants. But not in one, centralized area. I wish I had come across such a post before I purchased.

Let me also clearly state that I am extremely pleased with my purchase and there are still many good reasons to purchase the 1000. This is NOT a list of why you shouldn't purchase the 1000. All things considered, you should. It is an absolute wonderful machine and with the exception of the dump bed, I couldn't be happier.

Dear Honda,

I recently, after much research, spent $23,000 with your company. I did so with the satisfaction and peace of mind of knowing that if it has the Honda name behind it, it is sure to be a superb product!

The name Honda has been synonymous with excellence for many decades.

Nobody faults you for making an error, these are very complicated and
highly engineered machines. We all make mistakes and feedback from your consumers should be at the top of your priority list when you have introduced a brand-new vehicle to the market in its first year of production.

Nobody will ever fault you for making a mistake, but everybody will fault you for failing to rectify it.

Please don't be like every other company, turning a blind eye to an issue that clearly is a legitimate flaw and engineering failure.

Honda, I don't think you can disagree that spending that kind of money for a UTV would be called exorbitant. But I was willing to do so because I knew it had the Honda name behind it. It wasnt the UTV that sold me, as much as it was a HONDA UTV.

Cons

1) The dump bed:

The dump bed that is so heavily advertised and touted in all of your social media, does not dump. In fact, it simply does not work. I'm sure you can see the absurdity in that without me having to languish on, but I will anyway.

This is a Honda, and that should mean something to you all at Honda. It did to me and at a minimum, I would hope it does to you also.

Do you manufacture motorbikes without the headlights working? No.
Do you manufacture cars without the air-conditioner working? No
Do you manufacture UTV's without the dump trailer dumping? Yes.

Just because someone only drives in the day and has no use for the headlights doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Just because someone lives in Alaska and doesn't use the air conditioner doesn't mean you can ignore it.

And just because people use this as a cargo bed and don't dump much, doesn't mean you can ignore it.

I would like to think you're paying attention to this issue. But knowing you had the same complaints with the dump bed not dumping on the 700 model, i don't see how I can.

This is not a complaint about the seats not being comfortable. This is not a complaint about I don't like the way it handles. This is a complaint about one of the most basic functions of your product, a dump bed. And the dump does not dump?

May I repeat that again? The dump bed on your $20,000 vehicle? Ya know what?

IT......DOES.... NOT.....DUMP. Do you folks at Honda consider this a pretty major issue? Because I know I do.

Monitoring these threads in the background without taking the time to make comments concerning issues of your own product is not really cool.

Without chasing you away and making you an enemy Honda, I need you to fully realize that there are legal implications and ramifications involved here. If you have videos and pictures and websites showing a dump trailer dumping when in reality it does not dump, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU KNEW AHEAD OF TIME, that is an open and shut case of false advertising.

But putting the legal issues on the side for the moment, how about let's just have some dignity and character and let's maintain the vision that Honda is synonymous with excellence, by stepping up and coming up with a solution to this problem and then going back and rectifying it for the tons of people that trusted in your product and bought it simply because it had the Honda name.

Show us Americans that the Japanese culture of pride is real and not a Hollywood fallacy!

Show us you're more interested in the consumer, than the consumers money. Show us or me that you care. Because I don't look at this as a trivial complaint or a minor issue. Individuals have spent their hard-working dollars on a machine that is universal and should be able to perform in one of its most basic categories, dumping!

Dumping a load of rock, mulch, dirt or sand. Doesn't matter what the product is that's being dumped, it just has to be able to actually dump.

By mere virtue of the fact that this issue was present on your 700 models, I can only assume that you have no intention of changing it for future models, as the 1000 IS THE FUTURE model and you did nothing to change the fact that the bed couldn't dump???

I am sure in some conference room, this has been discussed and the decision has simply been made that the vast majority of purchasers are using this as a cargo bed and don't really care that it doesn't dump. No complaints, no solution.

But I can assure you, that you will only be able to hide and run from the legal issues involved here for so long. It's just a matter of time and a matter of years before enough consumers are duped into purchasing this machine with the understanding that the dump bed can actually dump. And than finding out post purchase it cannot.

Enough said from me, hopefully others will add. I will await a reply and or solution to this problem! And I can assure you, I am not going to gradually and gently fade away into the sunset Honda. I'm going to pursue this issue with much vigor!

2) Storage compartments:

Some of the cheapest UTV's out there have multiple storage options. Once again, it appears to me that most of your engineering went into the performance of the 1000 and that end user comfort and conveniences were not well thought out.

I could understand if there was no room, but this is a very roomy machine and storage could have easily been incorporated into the design. One glove box is simply not enough.

3) An emergency / parking brake:

Geez, how you all missed that is totally beyond my imagination. I welcome the Honda engineers and design team to come out to my property at any time to show you real world usage of the 1000.

I want to show you what it's like to be parked on a 45 degree incline, thousand pounds of weight in the cargo bed (my newly defined name for it since it doesn't dump) and then putting it into gear and taking off while having to endure that loud clunking sound scaring you into thinking the transmission is going to drop out.

The additional amount of sheer torque and load you are putting on your transmission going from park into low when just simply releasing the parking break would have sufficed, is immense.

Now let's talk about the safety issues? What happens if the brakes fail? What happens if the transmission doesn't lock or comes out of gear while parked on an incline with a heavy load ?

Once again, you're inviting legal liability into your life Honda, by failing to provide one. It's just a matter of time before this thing slips out of gear or the brakes fail and someone gets killed.

Absolutely any vehicle made should have an emergency parking brake. End of story.

4) Speaking of clunking:

Honda is known for its quiet and smooth operating vehicles. You figured it out in cars and surely you have figured it out in motorbikes and dirt bikes.

Why this thing has to shift like the Flintstone Mobile with a loud clunk and felt jerk prior to every gear, well thats above my pay grade. But my point for actually listing it, is there are a SLEW of posts with people asking if this is normal, so mention it because there are a lot of confused owners wondering.

5) Bed Mat:

Your bed mat needs to have cut outs in it to allow access to your anchor points inside the bed.

6) LED lighting:

We live in a world where LED lighting has come a long ways in the last few years. In that same world, everybody but everybodyUTV on the market. I expect more :)
Dear Honda I shopped around and test drove all of the sxs brands and choose the p1000-3 because there wasn't any complaints except for I need to get a smaller trailer and bigger cooler!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Which after reading I have to ask. Why does the owners manual say HIGH gear for climbing a hill and low down? Low both ways for sure.

If not used for climbing, exactly when do they think it should be used?

My entire property is angled I can most assuredly say that low gear gong up is the ONLY way to go.

Reactions: Tot
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which after reading I have to ask. Why does the owners manual say HIGH gear for climbing a hill and low down? Low both ways for sure.

My entire property is angled I can most assuredly say that low gear gong up is the ONLY way to go.
It's probably a typo

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado

It is weird the manual would say that, definitely not questiong that it does, because since my dealer has yet to send me manual (they claim it was lost at time of purchase, but 5 weeks later, still dont have one). Just based on past experience with other machines,I use low for most anything under 15-20 mph. If I know I will be going above 20mph, such as if I see a flat stretch or more gradual hills, I will go to high. It doesnt make sense to go up high, and than shift to low to come down, makes more sense to me anyways to just stay in low if you are under 15-20 mph unless on flat ground I guess

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ride a 1000-5 Deluxe. The dust is not a concern for me, it is an off road vehicle, dust comes with the territory, IMO. Rzr riders, Ranger, Can Am, didnt matter what machine someone was on, everyone got dirty and dusty.

I have half windshield and a bimini top, no other doors.

So over all, yes we got dirty and dusty, but to me, that's expected, everyone was dirty at the end of the day, no matter what they were riding.

I just want to be clear and get a firm confirmation from you and everyone else, that when I say dust blows through the shifters I am not complaining about getting a little dusty. The dust from your front 2 tires pours through the shifting wells into your eyes and making it hard to breath. The end of the day it's a 4wheeler. I'm happy to be dirty. But this is not just getting dusty. This is something else. This is having to close your eyes because you have dirt in them. Heat and dust blow directly into your face like a hairdryer. Literally, take a hairdryer turn it on put some dust in it and point it at your face. Now keep adding dust and install that in the dash of your honda. You now have an issue half as bad as mine, because I have 2 shifting wells.

Think of this. Remember your old chevy with those floor vents? Open both of them with your windows, and you have a swirling vortex of dust? Well these vents aren't kicking the dust on the floorboards up into the air. They are taking the dust from behind your tires and shooting it into your face.

You don't have a full cab, so you probably don't notice because you have lots of drafts for clear outs. But I spent a TON OF MONEY and the dust is a huge issue.

Please understand I am not asking for dust free. I'm asking for safety. Cause there's a difference. Into your face.

Your face man.

Reactions: AZhunter and Tot
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
I just want to be clear and get a firm confirmation from you and everyone else, that when I say dust blows through the shifters I am not complaining about getting a little dusty. The dust from your front 2 tires pours through the shifting wells into your eyes and making it hard to breath. The end of the day it's a 4wheeler. I'm happy to be dirty. But this is not just getting dusty. This is something else. This is having to close your eyes because you have dirt in them. Heat and dust blow directly into your face like a hairdryer. Literally, take a hairdryer turn it on put some dust in it and point it at your face. Now keep adding dust and install that in the dash of your honda. You now have an issue half as bad as mine, because I have 2 shifting wells.

Think of this. Remember your old chevy with those floor vents? Open both of them with your windows, and you have a swirling vortex of dust? Well these vents aren't kicking the dust on the floorboards up into the air. They are taking the dust from behind your tires and shooting it into your face.

You don't have a full cab, so you probably don't notice because you have lots of drafts for clear outs. But I spent a TON OF MONEY and the dust is a huge issue.

Please understand I am not asking for dust free. I'm asking for safety. Cause there's a difference. Into your face.

Your face man.
I understand. We all spent a lot of money on these machines. Maybe I sit higher/lower or just different. I can feel some hot air coming out of the shifting well, but do not notice overabundance of dust, and you are probably right, maybe because mine is more open. Was very dry and dusty where we rode this last weekend, and there were hundreds of riders kicking up dust all over also. I did see many fellow riders with some sort of mask covering nose and mouth, so it was definitely dusty. Maybe there is a way to modify/plug both shifter wells?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I understand. We all spent a lot of money on these machines. Maybe I sit higher/lower or just different. I can feel some hot air coming out of the shifting well, but do not notice overabundance of dust, and you are probably right, maybe because mine is more open. Was very dry and dusty where we rode this last weekend, and there were hundreds of riders kicking up dust all over also. I did see many fellow riders with some sort of mask covering nose and mouth, so it was definitely dusty. Maybe there is a way to modify/plug both shifter wells?
I made a thread on it. I totally removes my dash and made duct tape and rubber boots for them. Still didn't seal 100 but should prevent the same amount of duSt from getting through. It sucks I spent so much money on the cab. Love the machine, but I should have waited a year for aftermarket cabs.

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
I made a thread on it. I totally removes my dash and made duct tape and rubber boots for them. Still didn't seal 100 but should prevent the same amount of duSt from getting through. It sucks I spent so much money on the cab. Love the machine, but I should have waited a year for aftermarket cabs.
Cool, good luck with it, very disappointing Im sure. If mine ever starts to to that, and I come up with something for it, I will post it. Maybe some way to put an additional rubber boot in there? Or gorilla glue the one that is there so it sits closer to the opening?

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
I also dont see me ever needing to get a cab, which, as you stated, likely is aiding the dust flow, just noticed you are in Alaska, probably about mandatory you have one. On the bright side, Honda (probably not knowingly) gives us a free seat warmer, built in. I will do cold weather riding, even in summer we will ride above tree line (here in Colorado thats above 11000 feet) so will definitely get some cold riding, but I wont be using mine to push snow or anything.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm one of the very very few with a pioneer in the shop for something major (probably caused from me) wrong with it yet and I'm still proud of it. Apparently it just inhaled some water. I beat the holy s*** out of my machine the ROPS is twisted,both lower frame rails are bent and dented,I've broken mounts off my roof and had to heat it up to it back down, every panel is scratched and stickers shredded and broken stuff everywhere. You have to expect somethings. I'm sure one less large puddle and mine would still be toting me and eleven friends around just like it did last weekend. Mine is broke but yet I'm not b****in like this. Holy crap guy what is this!! Seems like there are a bunch of people that belong to a different site! I've had lots of different machines with really bad results and until this problem I've had the ultimate respect for Honda having now 14k and 12k on mine and my wife's bikes respectively. Had 2700 on our last Pioneer with literally three oil changes ONLY. All our kids, family and friends ride Honda THERE IS A DIFFERENCE! This weekend I just had my last Polaris take a dump on me as well(probably its tenth time!) with only 2800 on it. Except for my Pioneer 700 I've never had one last me that long. Ya I'm hard on things but still that's hard earned money. I wasn't on the Polaris site b****in about a cup holder out of place when that was the one I bought. I stayed off of there because I felt mine were such piles I was mad at myself for buying one and my current reminds me every day! Honda hadn't released one yet. As soon as they did I jumped ship for something better. Honda has treated me right. Read a little better or choose something else. You bought dependability and if it's not the fix it. Yes I've got a couple complaints as well but most of them I knew coming in because I'm smart enough to research my buys! Ok parking brake sucks but I've had other machines that don't as well yet I fixed mine because I have the ability to do so without use of a 6x6 jammed in. Dump bed yes Honda probably didn't have the necessary room being a small two rower and to keep cost down they didn't add electric I wish mine did too but it's sure better having that extra row. Heat under the seat ya no doubt the motor is under you to make room for additional seats in a three seat stance that's part of what brought some of you here,and for the record most others heat up as well! If you're super hot take out the windshield or find alternative ways like some of us do, then enjoy it in the winter. The dust they all do that! All!! Fix it like any other rig. The trans shifting hard or...first of all take it from belt owners either you learn it or b****. The control is drastically better and at least Honda is trying to do something other then shove another cheap ass snowmobile belt under it. I got use to ours quickly, hell small kids could drive it without all the jerkiness some say and it gets smoother the silk with miles. Expensive factory LED bars and winches??? Wtf? Have you seen the other brands. Everyone does it. Storage ya storage would be nice but I've taken this thing apart and the is no flipping room! There's some under the seat and they left it but there's no room. Take out front seat like a General or rzr and of course that'll open space up. Add two feet too it like many others...hey more room! How about take some tips from others and use your head. Let's see what we can design and save some money. From what I've just heard is people wanting a Caddy with a Geo sticker price. There has to be something a company has to leave off so its your choice to add it however the guy that doesn't need it shouldn't get dinged for it. For what it is the Pioneer is still a bargain how about looking around. People throw out this number like "I just spent 30k on this " no you spent about 18. The rest is thanks to government dealer and your own big eyes for wanting and having to have the dealer install it. Either buy a different rig or fix it up for yourself how you want it. If Honda made everyone happy it would be a 60k rig and people would b**** it's got too much!! These are all things for their own thread really because that's how we can do something. Honda hears and sees things and are actually paying attention and are coming up very quickly with better rigs they will be market leader shortly and it's not because a thread like this crap. It's not informative it's rubbish!!

Last edited:
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!