P1000 Dear Honda, a list of complaints for the 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
???? My goodness it can't be any clearer?

It's says a 1000 pound capacity tilt bed. Means it can tilt a 1000 pounds out of the bed.

Power assist is meaningless here. A motor is not relevant.

You obviously have never used it for dumping I promise you!
Actually I have, but as stated, only for wood, maybe 3-400 lbs. With a little research, Im sure you could find something. In fact, on this very forum, cumminspusher listed something from ebay for under $100. you can complain all you want, and its a valid complaint, but maybe finding a fix yourself would be more worth your time? And, it is very clear, it says hydraulic assist, not hydraulic powered, there is a difference.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Actually I have, but as stated, only for wood, maybe 3-400 lbs. With a little research, Im sure you could find something. In fact, on this very forum, cumminspusher listed something from ebay for under $100. you can complain all you want, and its a valid complaint, but maybe finding a fix yourself would be more worth your time? And, it is very clear, it says hydraulic assist, not hydraulic powered, there is a difference.

LOL!!! The point is it doesn't matter if it's power or assisted, whatever method Honda chose to use, is stated as sufficient to tilt 1000 pounds of weight. That was my point.

Reactions: AZhunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
To each their own. Some people trash their vehicles and some people take care of them. It's really hard to take your comments serious when by your own admission you have twisted the frame and roll bars! LOL.

I will say it sounds like you're having a lot of fun :) Deep down inside I respect that and wish I could just drive it to hell and back. But at the end of the day, most of us work really hard for our money and can't afford to just throw it in the shop and pay out-of-pocket for preventable repairs caused by excessive abuse. Sounds like you do have the surplus capital needed to fix such things.

It's a major investment. Equal to the purchase of a new automobile. I am curious, do you treat your own car like that?

But certain things don't apply to you because of your individual case. You are obviously the type that enjoys the heck out of his toys and never looKs back. But that doesn't mean it applies to others.

I did research thoroughly, very thoroughly, and my research showed that the Honda was capable of dumping 1000 pound load. In fact it does not.

You were looking for a vehicle that you could pound to hell. I was looking for a vehicle that could dump a heavy load of rock.

If your Honda did break down and you were unable to best it to hell, and was not able to do what you wanted it to do, you would be upset that it didn't achieve the things you were looking for.

I'm not looking for the same things you're looking for, I'm looking for different things and so in my case it, it didn't achieve the needs that I want to achieve.

You were looking for something to beat to hell, I was looking for something that can haul and dump 1000 pounds of rock.

But at least you did agree with me about the dump issue and most of your comments were about the dust and dirt coming into the cab. I personally have never experienced that issue because I don't think something like that would bother me.

However, I respect the fact that it does bother a fellow owner, BoomBoom and that it is still a defect in the way It was designed all the same.

He has different needs than us. He has a fully enclosed cab because he lives in Alaska. So it's a bigger issue to him and would not be to us.

It all comes down to this. We all have different needs, we all have different uses, we all treat things different.

That in no way however, alleviates the burden of Honda having to stand by their claims that the vehicle can dump 1000 pound load when it cannot.

And though your story was adventurous and sounds like fun, it doesn't mean this thread is crap.
I meant to say the frame sides under the doors. And I don't trash my rigs I ride them pretty hard though. Honda has always taken it well! I expect my vehicle to go where I tell it to is all and dirt roads are not my thing. No I don't treat my cars that bad but again I use them and that's why I buy the ones I buy. My newest vehicle is 18 years old as I said and yes I keep them going. We do ok but probably don't have near the capital you seem to think. My dirtbike is an 05 my wife's is 07 both bought new and yes still going and HONDA. All my kids bikes are a little older As well but HONDA. Everything that we have that lasts us is that same brand. I bought this brand because I don't have tons of money for the shops. Ours have never been back to a shop. Even being nice to to other brands I couldn't for the life of me keep them out with our kind of schedule. Camping and riding isn't a game to us we don't like being home and sure as hell don't like to be broken down on the weekend trying to scrape enough to fix crap for the weekend let alone finding the time to fix it. Yes we've got huge lighting winches good stereos dependable vehicles with everything tucked back so it tends to take the abuse. If something bothers us we will try to fix it. We don't go to the shop and pay to have it done I'm like everyone else on here looking for a deal. we don't worry about frills (unless it's cheap fun) we are very serious about what we do but most importantly like the ability to get home. Honda has left us stranded exactly twice bad. Once was a stick through the radiator on my bike and once last weekend. I can't say that for other vehicles. So keep in mind yes I do beat them but I sure as hell won't go down with anyone that knows me as a dirt road change my oil every and toothbrush my stuff every ride. We take up as many as 8 rides on the weekend I don't have time. Our "maintaining" is out in the woods. Sometimes if it's not broken don't fix it. But that's me. Maybe why I hate Other Brands so much. But Honda takes it.
I agree we are all different and I'm still trying to listen well for my needs and suggest well for others it's impossible to suggest something without knowing a little background and here for the most part I've seen that used when someone says "500 or 700,700 or 1000" people here are pretty good at recognizing this for others.
Now again I agree with the box. Never said different. Hopefully it can get fixed and those of us it bothers badly enough will fix it ourselves. Was Honda wrong in this claim...yes. Technically they didn't say it would do it however it was very misleading. It should.
Again with this thread my issue was the "everything wrong at once" I get it but it's a whole lot of bashing that no one what's to hear all of at the same time. I guarantee if you did a pole a very large number would say the same thing. I wasn't meaning to dismiss your complaints but to only to possibly redirect them.

Last edited:
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
LOL!!! The point is it doesn't matter if it's power or assisted, whatever method Honda chose to use, is stated as sufficient to tilt 1000 pounds of weight. That was my point.
The actual hydraulic shock used for the assist has only 200 lbs of force, hence it is an assist, like it says. Thats my point. maybe find a way to add 3 more.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Again it should. Yes

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I meant to say the frame sides under the doors. And I don't trash my rigs I ride them pretty hard though. Honda has always taken it well! I expect my vehicle to go where I tell it to is all and dirt roads are not my thing.
I agree we are all different and I'm still trying to listen well for my needs and suggest well for others it's impossible to suggest something without knowing a little background and here for the most part I've seen that used when someone says "500 or 700,700 or 1000" people here are pretty good at recognizing this for others.
Now again I agree with the box. Never said different. Hopefully it can get fixed and those of us it bothers badly enough will fix it ourselves. Was Honda wrong in this claim...yes. Technically they didn't say it would do it however it was very misleading. It should.
Again with this thread my issue was the "everything wrong at once" I get it but it's a whole lot of bashing that no one what's to hear all of at the same time. I guarantee if you did a pole a very large number would say the same thing. I wasn't meaning to dismiss your complaints but to only to possibly redirect them.

I hear you. But I don't see anyone complaining about the hundreds of threads that do nothing but list the pros of it!!! With every pro there is a con. With every night a day. I think it would be unfair to only have threads talking about it's wonderful capabilities while not have an area to speak of the negatives.

Because we all have different needs, an area where one person can go to and read about all the cons is a really good thing.

However, this whole thing is already getting off course and is turning into more of a chat thread. Not that I don't encourage feedback, but it would be very difficult for someone who's trying to decide if they want to purchase the unit to come to this thread looking for the cons when there's so much bickering back-and-forth. Myself included, I don't know when to keep my mouth shut that's for sure :)

But I think you're looking at this thread wrong. You're looking at it as a bickering thread, a whining thread, and you shouldn't look at it like that.

This is really a place to list all the negatives because really, come on, where would somebody go to get all this information at one place without spending all night researching?

The concept is good, even if it's turned a little south from its intended purpose :)

Reactions: Johnsee
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The actual hydraulic shock used for the assist has only 200 lbs of force, hence it is an assist, like it says. Thats my point. maybe find a way to add 3 more.

That's because it is an assist, which means the design of the bed and its location center of gravity does most of the work and only needs to be "assisted".

You're looking at this wrong. It has nothing to do with thinking that it's solely being dumped by the hydraulic arm, because it is not, because no dump on the market is being dumped by only a hydraulic arm, it's always an assist. ( unless motorized which is a different animal )

The bed design in and of itself does most of the work. And this is exactly were Honda has a flaw compared to all the other dump units out there. It was not designed properly and as such, the hydraulic arm will not be able to push up the weight because of a bad design

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I absolutely understand what you were trying to do. I've been in the car business and as everyone knows 1 bad comment effects 10 ,10 good comments only effects 1. Just seems to be so much bad blood lately on such an overall incredible machine. I wish people would talk more about all the good times they bring us. I really try to because I guess it's nice to hear others do the same. But I also know when to shut my trap so I'll leave it at that. My apologies.

advertisement
jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
That's because it is an assist, which means the design of the bed and its location center of gravity does most of the work and only needs to be "assisted".

You're looking at this wrong. It has nothing to do with thinking that it's solely being dumped by the hydraulic arm, because it is not, because no dump on the market is being dumped by only a hydraulic arm, it's always an assist. ( unless motorized which is a different animal )

The bed design in and of itself does most of the work. And this is exactly were Honda has a flaw compared to all the other dump units out there. It was not designed properly and as such, the hydraulic arm will not be able to push up the weight because of a bad design
Alright. I hear ya. Like your post said, we all use it differently. I probably will never use my bed for more than hauling firewood, or kids in seating position, or hauling a huge cooler full of cold coors light:) . Best of luck in your fight, if you can get Honda to do something, excellent, and I hope you can. There are probably many who would like the dump feature to work better. I would really like to not have a burnt butt, thats my b****. Best of luck plumber101010.

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I absolutely understand what you were trying to do. I've been in the car business and as everyone knows 1 bad comment effects 10 ,10 good comments only effects 1. Just seems to be so much bad blood lately on such an overall incredible machine. I wish people would talk more about all the good times they bring us. I really try to because I guess it's nice to hear others do the same. But I also know when to shut my trap so I'll leave it at that. My apologies.

Oh no, your comments are very welcome, don't get me wrong. I think everyone has a right to voice their opinion. Always have. Freedom of speech. You're absolutely welcome to say what you said :)

I wasn't trying to run you off or your comments. That wouldn't be fair is only a one-way street!

I was simply giving you a retort :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It just sucks to have a thread so negative. We're all in it together here hopefully for the right reasons. At least you have a machine making complaints that's better then some I see on here. Just you have so many it makes me wonder why you bought something so expensive with so many flaws without research. I guess it would be nice to have you on a separate thread fighting so hard for the positives. There are a few.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I refrained from commenting on your other complaint-based threads, but I can no longer continue to do so.

If you don't like the damn thing, sell it for God's sake. Don't complain about it on an internet forum, do something about it. Regardless of what you paid for your Pioneer,at the end of the day you still bought an all terrain vehicle, not a Cadillac. Your expectations are out of this world, and you aren't alone in this sense as I have read thread upon thread on this forum and on the Facebook groups about people being disappointed in their Pioneer because it isn't 100% perfect for their individual needs. Honda built this machine to appeal to a a very wide market, not a single person.

If you are truly this particular of a person, you didn't do your research properly and did not thoroughly inspect, test, and experience the Pioneer before you bought it, which is no one's fault but your own. Do all of us a favor and suck it up and move on.

B

Bornlzr

Nov 13, 2015

I had a stock Polaris Ranger and it really dumped no differently than the Pioneer 1000-5. I put on the available electric assist which it then did what I wanted in both directions (up, down and anywhere in between for that matter). Honda may find a similar solution for those who need/want increased dumping ability and I would probably purchase it. But reading a thread where someone's posts are negative and a chapter in length loses many of our interests in finding a creative solution.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It just sucks to have a thread so negative. We're all in it together here hopefully for the right reasons. At least you have a machine making complaints that's better then some I see on here. Just you have so many it makes me wonder why you bought something so expensive with so many flaws without research. I guess it would be nice to have you on a separate thread fighting so hard for the positives. There are a few.

They are negatives. A con is a negative. What's wrong with negatives?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I refrained from commenting on your other complaint-based threads, but I can no longer continue to do so.

If you don't like the damn thing, sell it for God's sake. Don't complain about it on an internet forum, do something about it. Regardless of what you paid for your Pioneer,at the end of the day you still bought an all terrain vehicle, not a Cadillac. Your expectations are out of this world, and you aren't alone in this sense as I have read thread upon thread on this forum and on the Facebook groups about people being disappointed in their Pioneer because it isn't 100% perfect for their individual needs. Honda built this machine to appeal to a a very wide market, not a single person.

If you are truly this particular of a person, you didn't do your research properly and did not thoroughly inspect, test, and experience the Pioneer before you bought it, which is no one's fault but your own. Do all of us a favor and suck it up and move on.

I am just still truly amazed that I bought this because of the advertising that they could "carry and DUMP more weight than any UTV" on the market and when you come to find out it cannot do as they say it can,
you label that whining? SMH.

No wonder Honda is not in a rush to fix this issue when everyone is screaming "I DONT CARE AMD EITHER SHOULD YOU"

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

It's not a horribly deep concept that the pioneer 1000 is being advertised they can dump 1000 pound load. And It's definitely not something that you should be wondering why someone is complaining about it???

And that's not just me anyway. If you go back and read the original thread, many but many are experiencing the exact same issue and are not happy about it.

It would be refreshing if somebody could read my actual thread at the very top where I made reference as to why I wasn't going to list the positives and what the positives were.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Then create a thread in fixing the bed. I absolutely love my vehicle and I still agree with the box.

"Hey Honda figure an electric factory dump box option for 5-$700 and I'll buy it. Keep factory box the same so that people that don't need it don't have to pay for it"

Reactions: joeymt33
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Then create a thread in fixing the bed. I absolutely love my vehicle and I still agree with the box.

"Hey Honda figure an electric factory dump box option for 5-$700 and I'll buy it. Keep factory box the same so that people that don't need it don't have to pay for it"

Or simply remove the advertising and say the truth. 1000 pound cargo load, 200 pound dump capacity. Then I don't have a leg to stand on.

The thing is this, it's already been well-established the vast majority of people who bought this did not do so for the dump capability. Before these units were sold, Honda probably didn't have any idea what the end-users were going to use it for.

If they had, they wouldn't have advertised it's thousand pound dump/tilt capabilities.

What I just simply don't understand, is all the people out there that because they don't use this feature, can't seem to make the connection that maybe some people do, and are very upset that they can't use it.

Because its not a feature that they care about, I'm a whiner because it is a feature that I do care about.

Is absolutely no logic there and personally, I think the ones who are whining about my whining, have yet to understand the basic issue here.

This is a major issue, it's a major problem. Simply because it's not a major problem for some, doesn't mean it's not a major problem for others who use it and bought it based upon it.

I am 55 years old, and I am sorry, I'm going to complain and complain loudly, when I drive this thing up the mountain and have to empty it by shoveling and not dumping!!!

And for the others not able to understand that, truly has me questioning human nature!

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!