P500 Deciding on my purchase of a 500

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
It will downshift but my impression is it will not stop you. When I come to an intersection of trail and let off the gas it will shift down to second or third but you still will have to brake. Mine has never shirted lower than second that I remember. After a little learning curve using the paddles is second nature. I like it. The 500 is not for everyone but the size, power, torque and driving experience suit me just fine. Sure they could be roomier and faster or have more storage but if those things are a deal breaker get the 700 or 1000.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Don't worry about it downshifting when you don't want it to, it'll only downshift when you're almost stopped. Mine has never downshifted when I needed it to stay in another gear, either in auto or manual. It's really not an issue at all.

Reactions: stinbro and Russ989
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome -
As others have mentioned, shifting is clunky at first but eventually gets better.
In my 17, I like the Auto mode for riding on roads but I use manual mode when off road on trails.
The geared transmission provides engine braking which is nice when descending hills, unlike coasting with free wheeling cvt transmissions
The rather bare nature of the P5 make it ideal to customize with the features you need the most.
Bottom line, while not for everyone, it's a great machine - Be sure to post pictures when you pick it up.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everybody for the responses! I guess my next question is if you are on a flat surface nearly at top speed in manual shift and let off the gas is the machine going to continue to downshift until it almost eventually stops?
The speed has to be reduced quite a bit for it to do that, don’t overthink it....just buy it and ride, you’ll love it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
From all the honda line up it seems to be the most loved i've noticed.

The P5 is stripped down when you get it and begging to be set up for your purpose. The cheapest Honda but without question the most modified Pioneer in the line up. It's because they're built not bought...and this forum pushes/teaches you how. ;)

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I'll second what everyone has said. I hated the auto downshift in manual until got accustom to it. I now love it. It will only downshift to second gear. First gear is so low I seldom use it. I would suggest not buying any mods before first looking at how others have done theirs and this is the best place to start. Welcome and enjoy.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the same boat for last 2 month now... thinking of buying 2017 leftover 300km on it, plus a 2009 Accord EX V6 as a package deal...what should i do lol...Welcome have fun on your new purchase..

advertisement
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
look It over good, honda cars and suvs have thin frames places they use salt and hardly anyone pays for undercoat frames end up with big holes only thing it will be is whatever you can get from the junk yard

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!