P1000 Did I make the right choice?

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I joined this group and forum to vent, and hopefully, obtain some info that will ease my mind. After months of research, I finally made the plunge from being with Polaris for over 30 years, switching over to Honda, (based on years of "reliability"). We just took delivery of our 1st toy in over 6 years of climbing out of the 2008/09 economic downturn. We purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. It was delivered last Wednesday and before my family and I could put 25 miles on it, I discovered an oil leak while performing the pre-ride inspection. Cancelled our family outing, and called the dealership, who said they couldnt get it in until Monday. The dealership called today and said there is a hole in the engine cast, a defect during the manufacturing process. The cast is super thin and it did not form correctly! Are you kidding me?? Now the dealer is working with Honda to see if they want to tear apart the brand new motor, (4.9 hours on it), or if Honda will authorize a complete engine swap. I don't even want this thing now. Paid $19,064 otd, (winch installed), and haven't even driven it over 26 mph. Read the owners manual (seriously, since there are so many bells and whistles on this thing), spent over 4 hours on your forums here, reviewing problems, etc. Followed the manual to a 'T'. But it doesn't matter. We are making payments on something we had for less than a week, and missed the best weekend weather we have had so far. Found the oil on Friday, and had to stare at it sitting in my garage all weekend until the dealer was open today to get it in. Worse yet....who knows when and how it will be fixed. I find it odd that for the reason I moved to Honda, (remember, 'reliability'?) I've had to eat my decision so far. Never had an issue with something brand new like this, and it's frustrating. Most of you, (I've been able to gather from your posts), are long time Honda owners. Help me to 'feel the love', because right now, I'm just feeling sick!

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow....this is the first time I have heard of this problem. AND this is a huge problem. I would insist on a full engine swap.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Honda should replace your 1000 with another 1000. Not just a engine swap. That is not something i could forgive unless Honda replaced the whole SxS, because if they messed that there is no telling what all they missed on your unit. Sorry i can't make you feel better.

Reactions: rmk700 and sharp
Bubbalel

Bubbalel

Nov 29, 2015
That sure is a bad deal. Hopefully they will do the right thing.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, just having others understand my frustration is a bigger help than most realize. I will keep everyone posted as to what the outcome is. I noticed the oil laying on top of the skid plate, when I pulled the seat to check the sub trans oil level. It was the diameter of a coffee mug. Pulled the skid plate, wiped it clean, wiped the motor clean, ran it up and down my driveway a couple times, and it was dripping from the bottom of the engine already. Just wanted to warn everyone.

Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
Many years ago Honda had a porosity block issue in the Civic. It would only leak oil while running. The mechanics had to pressurize the motor with an air powered pump to see if the oil would go THROUGH the block...sometimes engineers make things too light, and manufacturing isn't perfect.
Sorry to hear about your situation, could you use the machine until they replace the offending part? I imagine it will be awhile until either the part, or the motor comes into stock...

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Welll that just sucks. First I have heard of this, cant imagine that being a common problem I would raise you know what if they didn't give me a new machine.Hope it works out for you. Hate to tell you mine has been perfect so far and have159 miles on it. I would hope they make this right for you. Good luck.

Reactions: cruddy0815
ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd fight like hell to get a brand new machine (which is what you have). Worst case you get a BRAND NEW engine put in. I would never allow them to do a complete engine tear down then rebuild into a new case. You trust your local dealer to do a complete engine tear down and rebuild? On a 2016 machine!? Most people on these forums are more mechanical inclined then the monkeys in the back of most shops.

I bleed Honda red, but I dont care if its a Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Kymco, Ford, Chevy or Yanmar. Porosity in the casting causing oil to leak and little to no miles. There better be a fresh crate motor going in there, or a NEW machine.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I joined this group and forum to vent, and hopefully, obtain some info that will ease my mind. After months of research, I finally made the plunge from being with Polaris for over 30 years, switching over to Honda, (based on years of "reliability"). We just took delivery of our 1st toy in over 6 years of climbing out of the 2008/09 economic downturn. We purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. It was delivered last Wednesday and before my family and I could put 25 miles on it, I discovered an oil leak while performing the pre-ride inspection. Cancelled our family outing, and called the dealership, who said they couldnt get it in until Monday. The dealership called today and said there is a hole in the engine cast, a defect during the manufacturing process. The cast is super thin and it did not form correctly! Are you kidding me?? Now the dealer is working with Honda to see if they want to tear apart the brand new motor, (4.9 hours on it), or if Honda will authorize a complete engine swap. I don't even want this thing now. Paid $19,064 otd, (winch installed), and haven't even driven it over 26 mph. Read the owners manual (seriously, since there are so many bells and whistles on this thing), spent over 4 hours on your forums here, reviewing problems, etc. Followed the manual to a 'T'. But it doesn't matter. We are making payments on something we had for less than a week, and missed the best weekend weather we have had so far. Found the oil on Friday, and had to stare at it sitting in my garage all weekend until the dealer was open today to get it in. Worse yet....who knows when and how it will be fixed. I find it odd that for the reason I moved to Honda, (remember, 'reliability'?) I've had to eat my decision so far. Never had an issue with something brand new like this, and it's frustrating. Most of you, (I've been able to gather from your posts), are long time Honda owners. Help me to 'feel the love', because right now, I'm just feeling sick!
At least it's just a defect and they know it. It is a let down when your excited about something and you have a set back. They will make it right for you and you will be riding in no time and then you will see the quality and reliability honda has. A defect can happen on anything I just hate it happened on your new toy. I traded my polaris ranger 900 xp and have no regrets.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
they need to send it back to Honda and give you A new pioneer 1000-5 or A new engine. shop should not fix the engine needs to go back to Honda.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
authorize a complete engine swap
Gimme a break they gotta do better than that. Authorize....That shouldn't need to be a discussion.
I hate it when I have to escalate issues and make a scene - it's just pita that I don't need. This is starting to sound like one of those times.

Hopefully you get this resolved soon so you can get on with the fun with it.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Many years ago Honda had a porosity block issue in the Civic. It would only leak oil while running. The mechanics had to pressurize the motor with an air powered pump to see if the oil would go THROUGH the block...sometimes engineers make things too light, and manufacturing isn't perfect.
Sorry to hear about your situation, could you use the machine until they replace the offending part? I imagine it will be awhile until either the part, or the motor comes into stock...
I suppose I could have used it, but not knowing that it was a porous issue, (in fact I didn't know exactly where it was coming from), made me leary of continuing to operate it possibly causing further damage, so it sat all weekend until it went in today. My original finding looked like a bolt in the bottom of the casing could have been stripped and it was leaking out the threads. But I was wrong. It was the dealership that found the main issue.

I totally agree with all of you in that I would rather have a new machine, especially since this one had less than 5 hours on it. But I won't tolerate anything less than a new engine. I'll fight the fight if they try to repair it at the dealership. I've been reading your forums for 3 days before I finally decided to join in myself, and can tell the majority of you have a lot of knowledge on not only this product, but Honda in general. Glad I decided to share my experience, as you have all given me hope, lol, which is all I have right now!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dude, that sucks bad. I'm so sorry.

Especially when you come over to Honda expecting quality. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Heck, I'll even call the dealer for you and tell them what I heard! I'll try to make them nervous and tell them I want to buy one but I'm waiting to hear how they handle this.

If I were you, I would push for a new machine very hard. If they don't budge, at least you'll have a new engine.

Sorry again bud

Joe

Reactions: Kingmudd
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dude, that sucks bad. I'm so sorry.

Especially when you come over to Honda expecting quality. Please keep us posted on the outcome. Heck, I'll even call the dealer for you and tell them what I heard! I'll try to make them nervous and tell them I want to buy one but I'm waiting to hear how they handle this.

If I were you, I would push for a new machine very hard. If they don't budge, at least you'll have a new engine.

Sorry again bud

Joe
Thanks Joe!! Appreciate your comments, and really appreciate you getting my back, lol. I have faith they will make it right. Especially after reading everyones comments. The machine itself was really really sweet. Had the same small issues as most, little rattles (adjusted door stops), steering wheel off centered, and right side tire out of toe. All easily corrected. But the oil leak put me over the edge. Hard to swallow making such a big purchase, and less than a week and its in the shop and who knows for how long. Gotta stay positive. Will keep you all updated on how this goes.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Let me know if I can help, or anyone else.

Remember, you'll meet the nicest people one a Honda.

Joe

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Casting where the threads were tapped may have been too thin. A hole in the bolt hole!! I did assembly and testing for cast parts in the construction industry. Castings that leaked should have been caught during pressure testing. Bolt hole leak is either thin sidewall or bolt bottomed out during assembly and cracked thread hole. Unfortunately it was so mi-nute it didn't show until it was put under load ie: oil pressure,riding etcc.. Someone didnt have the casting locked down on their machine when the machine tapped the holes!!

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
I'm with you brother, new engine or machine. Like those guys said, don't let em try and rebuild it, or at least if they do its so they can sell it to someone else.

Like you I'm almost a Pioneer owner and have read more threads here everyday than work orders at my job. Going by the "quality" reason we are making the choice Honda, they will normally back their product. Another unfortunate anomaly I hope. Good luck, waiting to here what happens.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First sorry to hear of your troubles. I've been an avid Honda fan for well over 25 years. Me and small group of buddies have dragraced them for almost 2 decades. We held our own with a few CBR's against a sea of Hyabusas and zx12's and 14's. Honda is still a quality brand. Don't settle for a repaired engine. It'll take a shop a while to install a new case. And you'll be making payments on a ghost. If your dealer keeps insisting on a repair, let us know. Social media is a very powerful tool. A few choice reviews on a company's FB page go a long ways. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Reactions: CashMoney
Hognott

Hognott

Jan 13, 2016
Lakeland, Florida
I joined this group and forum to vent, and hopefully, obtain some info that will ease my mind. After months of research, I finally made the plunge from being with Polaris for over 30 years, switching over to Honda, (based on years of "reliability"). !

I'm right there with you !! Only difference is I do bleed Honda Red !! As a Honda fan, it upsets me to hear you've put your faith and money into a Honda product, only to be let down in the worst way! Hoping for you that Honda does the right thing and replaces the entire unit, not just the engine.

Problems with the P1k seem very hit-and-miss. My Pioneer is so loud with gear whine, it is a chore to drive. I know loud noise is a subjective term, but I traded my Ranger in this for the reliability aspect of the Honda being perfect in every way and man, what a disappointment. Dealer agrees something is wrong, they just don't know what it is ?? Wow, does that make me feel better !! . Couldn't imagine how I'd feel if I was making payments on it. I'd get nauseous every month !

The real question is if I had to do it over; Would I ??? Absolutely not !! Would you ??

But it is what it is, and I'm trying to make the best of it.

Cheers,

BB

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Eh, they won't rebuild the engine, they will crate engine it. Honda will want it back in their hands to pour over and figure out what happened in tact.

Having been through one of those "weird failures" myself Honda will take care of you. Don't worry.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!