P1000 Did I make the right choice?

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Once again, I would ask Honda for a loaner while your bike is being repaired.

Reactions: cruddy0815
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I agree with Ghost. Mention
to your dealer that you are
thinking about asking for your
money back, and that might
help to get him to pressure
Honda to step up to the plate
& make it right by giving you
a new machine. Also, you
bought the machine from the
dealer, so he still has some
responsibility to make it right,
if Honda drags their feet. I
wouldn't let the dealer off the
hook, just yet.
It would be one thing if you
broke something on the trail,
but this one should never left
the factory or the dealer.

John
Edited to clarify comments.

Yup - this did not even occur with regular use - regular use breakages are what warranties are for. This was defective before it left the plant.
I agree with starting a paper trail. Wouldn't hurt to mention the discussion on this forum.
It wouldn't take me long before I started asking for my money back too. You only had the thing for a couple hours before the dealer opened again (i think). You paid for a brand new working machine - so far they have not delivered.

I don't think you make a mistake in your purchase. It sucks that you ended up in this mess - it could happen to anyone. But your decision was sound and if Honda does their part, you'll have a working machine in short order.

Last edited:
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. Day 3 in the shop, Day 5 since leak was discovered. Dealer owner, mechanic in charge of repair, and salesman all have the day off. No word from Honda. And according to American Honda Case Manager Chad, they do NOT use email for service complaints so no way of starting a paper trail.....anyone know of an email address for Honda Powersports? Frustration quickly turning to anger, lol. But I'll try to keep positive.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I wonder if it would have been any easier if you just ran the S**** out of it and blew the engine.....then they would have to replace the entire engine if not give you a new SxS.

Reactions: joeymt33
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Out of curiosity has the check cleared? If not I would hurry up and put a stop payment on it.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if it would have been any easier if you just ran the S**** out of it and blew the engine.....then they would have to replace the entire engine if not give you a new SxS.
Wilson, I like your thought process, and maybe you are right. But I'm so damn anal about my machines that I was worried about damaging the engine and then being stuck with it forever. My snowblower is almost 7 years old and looks/ runs like I bought it yesterday. Truck gets detailed 2x a year, including repainting the frame and underneath to keep the rust away. I even vacuum my garage floor. Bottom line, I treat everything right, probably because we grew up poor and without, but either way, I couldn't have allowed that to happen (blowing the engine); but I have to say, you are probably right, and if I would have, it would have been a different story. But I prefer for the issue to be Honda's fault and not my own.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I dealt with a Honda case worker on my 700 as it was one of the first and one of the first to break. I had case workers on trying to get parts and a separate issue dealing with the brakes. It made me a complete disbeliever in Honda warranty. I hope your case works out better and that I have zero issues with my new 1k.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Update. Day 3 in the shop, Day 5 since leak was discovered. Dealer owner, mechanic in charge of repair, and salesman all have the day off. No word from Honda. And according to American Honda Case Manager Chad, they do NOT use email for service complaints so no way of starting a paper trail.....anyone know of an email address for Honda Powersports? Frustration quickly turning to anger, lol. But I'll try to keep positive.
If you go to the Honda official site there is a tab at the bottom that says contact us. It does not Have their email address but allows you to email them through that. You will then get a reply and will have an address to respond with future questions. I would have all your emails go to Honda and the dealer, ask for the paperwork relating to your machine with the approval from QC that it had passed.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Go on Honda's facebook page and post this stuff. I lot of people will see it. Can be seen as a public statement too. Sadly a rebuilt engine is probably what you get. I would ask for a free extended warranty on the work and engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: cruddy0815
Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if you have a state attorney general office or consumer protection division but if I were you I would file a complaint with them on the dealer. I would at this point demand my money back even if you are willing to settle for less. You bought a defective product and I would think the laws would be on your side. Sometimes state offices are willing to arbitrate on your behalf.
We are pulling for you!

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since the owner of the dealership, the mechanic, and the salesman all have the same day off, and I have heard nothing from Honda today, I went on the company website, clicked the "contact us" tab, and made my request for a full refund, or a new machine to be delivered no later than Friday at 3pm. Probably won't get me anywhere, but I paid for a quality machine, not one with a defect. They cashed my check and gave me this to deal with. I kept up my end of the bargain, Honda and the dealer have not kept up their end. I did not pay for a defective machine that had to have the motor rebuilt, I paid for a brand new reliable Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with a winch installed. That's what I should receive. Anything less isn't right. To repair this engine, and give it back to me leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. I'm 44 years old, purchased several 4 wheelers, and snowmobiles in my days. All were Polaris, sure I've had some issues through the years, but never within the 1st year of purchase, so obviously not within the first 3 days of taking delivery!

Reactions: Springer
cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update Major Change:
The dealer came through!!! NOT HONDA. (Update edit to this comment also, found on page 4. Honda did in fact step up, just not at the time of this original post). Honda is still trying to figure out how to fix this thing. Sent an email last night as I stated above. Owner of dealership came in 1st thing this morning & after reading email immediately called around the state and found an identical machine. It's being delivered within 1/2 hour to my dealer so he can swap my winch over, and will have it delivered to my house no later than tomorrow morning. Let's hope this one is issue free (fingers crossed). But hats off to Extreme Power Sports in Gaylord, Michigan for doing the right thing and taking care of the customer. Maybe Honda should take some tips from them. Dealership owner stated he wasn't sure how Honda was gonna handle the broken machine, but told me to tell Honda Case Manager when he called, the the dealership took care of me, which I will do.

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
:DNicely done!!!
Kudos to the dealer.
I'm not brand loyal but I think you have to give Honda some credit too. The dealer knows Honda well enough that this will be dealt with - it just doesn't have to involve the customer.

The point is you get the new machine you paid for.

Reactions: JACKAL
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
Update Major Change:
The dealer came through!!! NOT HONDA. Honda is still trying to figure out how to fix this thing. Sent an email last night as I stated above. Owner of dealership came in 1st thing this morning & after reading email immediately called around the state and found an identical machine. It's being delivered within 1/2 hour to my dealer so he can swap my winch over, and will have it delivered to my house no later than tomorrow morning. Let's hope this one is issue free (fingers crossed). But hats off to Extreme Power Sports in Gaylord, Michigan for doing the right thing and taking care of the customer. Maybe Honda should take some tips from them. Dealership owner stated he wasn't sure how Honda was gonna handle the broken machine, but told me to tell Honda Case Manager when he called, the the dealership took care of me, which I will do.
The pen is mightier than the sword! Well done, very happy for you.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear the good news!:)
Too bad I have 11 hours and two great lakes in my way or I would take my business to Extreme Power Sports in Gaylord Michigan.:)

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Update Major Change:
The dealer came through!!! NOT HONDA. Honda is still trying to figure out how to fix this thing. Sent an email last night as I stated above. Owner of dealership came in 1st thing this morning & after reading email immediately called around the state and found an identical machine. It's being delivered within 1/2 hour to my dealer so he can swap my winch over, and will have it delivered to my house no later than tomorrow morning. Let's hope this one is issue free (fingers crossed). But hats off to Extreme Power Sports in Gaylord, Michigan for doing the right thing and taking care of the customer. Maybe Honda should take some tips from them. Dealership owner stated he wasn't sure how Honda was gonna handle the broken machine, but told me to tell Honda Case Manager when he called, the the dealership took care of me, which I will do.
good dealer post web link of dealer and what they did for you.

C

Cook

Feb 12, 2016
Colorado
Update Major Change:
Congratulations! What a relief that must be, and kudos to Extreme Power Sports. That kind of excellent customer service needs to be trumpeted far and wide.

PCB67SS

PCB67SS

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2015
Panama City Beach
Congratulations! What a relief that must be, and kudos to Extreme Power Sports. That kind of excellent customer service needs to be trumpeted far and wide.
Cruddy that is wonderful news.....I have to admit hearing this makes me more comfortable with my recent purchase. As mentioned earlier I'm sure the dealer will be taken care of by Honda.....But your dealer is due praise due to his way of handling this situation. Kudo's to Extreme Power Sports.
Gaylord, Michigan, Can-Am, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, ATV, Motorcycle, Utility Vehicle, Scooter, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel
Later today I will be sending them a email as well expressing my pleasure with their handling of your situation.....:D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!