alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I was watching Ukrainian youtube channel about Nissan Leaf , and today they showed something that is portable and easy to install and has very good heat output. They used very small diesel air heater and install it into electric Nissian Leaf (that has lowest battery capacity among other EVs) to preserve battery in winter and heat car same time.
View attachment 60906

Curious was there any mention of smelling like diesel on the inside? Reason for asking, I like the concept, but do not want to make the cab have a diesel fuel smell, especially when hunting...

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Curious was there any mention of smelling like diesel on the inside? Reason for asking, I like the concept, but do not want to make the cab have a diesel fuel smell, especially when hunting...
People use these inside of parked cars and semis. There is a true exhaust that’s separate. It shouldt

Reactions: Biteme and solrus
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
People use these inside of parked cars and semis. There is a true exhaust that’s separate. It shouldt

Got it, so it will be important on where you point position/place that exhaust as well, i.e., exiting the machine. I do like the idea and will look into it further.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got it, so it will be important on where you point position/place that exhaust as well, i.e., exiting the machine. I do like the idea and will look into it further.

It will still smell like burned diesel (way better burned then diesel trucks that smoke ) outside your cab when you hunt and not sure if this might be a problem .

I think the next question would be 12V supply , should i buy a new 12v battery or run it from the P500 on board battery?????

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It will still smell like burned diesel (way better burned then diesel trucks that smoke ) outside your cab when you hunt and not sure if this might be a problem .

I think the next question would be 12V supply , should i buy a new 12v battery or run it from the P500 on board battery?????
Dedicated battery with an isolator and a low voltage shut off would work the best. I did read up on it quite a bit it takes like 15w is all to run for fan and electronics but uses 10 times that for the glow plugs on startup. I suspect it’s pretty efficient on a battery. I’m planning to simply use a lighter plug (to make it more universal) and change the factory dash plug to run off of separate battery.

Reactions: Biteme
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good, battery part and how to install it, I will need you to write up this set up.
Being a 500 there would sure be more people qualified then I on isolation placement.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can second battery be charged from running P500?
With a smart isolator yes. It’ll remain totally separate from the factory battery allowing startup even if it went dead, but allow it to change. Isolators are fairly cheap and actually easy hookup with three wires, one to factory positive, one to second battery positive and a ground wire.
Most are using this setup. This is everything needed other then spare battery.
666E5CDD C080 40EB AB69 770310D1F20F

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme and solrus
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Any idea how long the replacement pump will take? I really want to see that box in action and hear your feedback

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any idea how long the replacement pump will take? I really want to see that box in action and hear your feedback
Have not heard from the seller, I hope they have parts in USA and no need to ship from China. As per video on YouTube it should work. Just use exhaust wrap . Or u can just place it that exhaust goes through box wall right away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Most excellent work and info Solrus! Love the Pelican case idea, can see me having one on the roof. In respect to auxiliary battery I put mine under the hood in a military steel ammo can, works awesome use a mini battery isolator switch. Three way switch and auto senses if auxiliary needs charging and does so, isolates stock battery for starting. So switch works like this, 1) totally off, cuts power to starter and auxiliary battery. 2) normal ops, isolates start battery from auxiliary battery, auto charges auxiliary. 3) links both batteries together.

I’ve wired most my auxiliary gear to aux battery, LED lights and Winch for now. Have pix in link of what I did. When you get an auxiliary battery get as robust as you can, I went with deep cycle AGM, can mount in any direction, and no fluid to spill and not corrosion on posts. If I did it again I’d look at installing a larger capacity AGM deep cycle under driver’s seat, in a battery box.

Cheers and thanks again.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pelican case buy used from eBay. They are half price about 60-70$ shipped.

I used 1520 model it was cheaper then smaller version 1500, that also will work.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@solrus did you purchase your fuel tank separately. Mine came with a really tall tank that won’t fit a case as well

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No mine came with this tank. I was looking for non digital version with switch control. And tank just 1 gallon.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No reply from the seller, now had to escalate to eBay protection program. :(

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No reply from the seller, now had to escalate to eBay protection program. :(

I’d be more then willing to ship you mine meanwhile! You’re just across the state

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you want for testing purposes. So I can measure temp inside the box

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, just sent video to the seller , he requested a video

:

Dear Solrus,
So sorry for the inconvenience.
So sorry we can not make sure what make the mistakes at the moment, can you send us a video to the email address [email protected] and add your eBay ID:in the email
Then we can send it to the technical department to have a check.If it is the problem of our product, then we will always here for you to give you a most satisfactory solution.
Looking forward to hearing from your early reply.
Yours faithfully,

Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker

Mar 4, 2018
Manitoulin Island
Ownership

1. 500
Just wondering what happened about the heater situation? I work on oil furnaces but have never seen or heard of a compression powered space heater?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!