P500 Diesel air heater for P500

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would this heater be better mounted under the hood or under the drivers seat? I plan on running vents for windshield defrost as well.
Neither location, I think it's better to have it mounted on the cargo rack and run a hose through soft cab cover. Since it sucks so much air and open system , u would prefer no dirt or water get into intake system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

J

jason500

Jan 17, 2016
Montreal, Canada
Neither location, I think it's better to have it mounted on the cargo rack and run a hose through soft cab cover. Since it sucks so much air and open system , u would prefer no dirt or water get into intake system.

Would I be able to run ducts under the floorboards to the dash for defrost?

Reactions: Biteme
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would I be able to run ducts under the floorboards to the dash for defrost?
I would route them above your head under the the roof and point down, get one wide open duct. I think u can route the way u like but I prefer to easily demount it for the summer and have no ducts permanently routed since I don't see much space on p500 dash

J

jason500

Jan 17, 2016
Montreal, Canada
Great idea.

This will be my first winter with cab and tracks. I don’t plan on driving around in a t shirt however my main goals are not having the windshield fog up and not freezing my hands.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great idea.

This will be my first winter with cab and tracks. I don’t plan on driving around in a t shirt however my main goals are not having the windshield fog up and not freezing my hands.
I will get to it and install wiper kit I bought also. Just wait until elk hunting is over end of November

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kidding :) ??? Electric of course.

It's like asking manual heater (jumping and shaking until u ae warm) or diesel , lol

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I installed one of these heaters in my p500 this summer after seeing solrus's post last winter. I installed it under the hood (I don't run thru water or mud holes) and replaced the cup holders with rotating vents. The vents turn so I can point them at me and the passenger or at the windshield to keep it from freezing up. I use my machine for ice fishing almost every day and plowing in the winter. I also added a remote so that I can turn it on 10 min or so before I go out and it is very warm inside (75 or so) when I get in it. The heater runs off of a secondary isolated battery that I installed so that it will not effect the starting when it is -10 outside when I come in from fishing. The heaters have really come down in price and you can buy one for under $150 and they give you most everything you need in the kit to install it.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed one of these heaters in my p500 this summer after seeing solrus's post last winter. I installed it under the hood (I don't run thru water or mud holes) and replaced the cup holders with rotating vents. The vents turn so I can point them at me and the passenger or at the windshield to keep it from freezing up. I use my machine for ice fishing almost every day and plowing in the winter. I also added a remote so that I can turn it on 10 min or so before I go out and it is very warm inside (75 or so) when I get in it. The heater runs off of a secondary isolated battery that I installed so that it will not effect the starting when it is -10 outside when I come in from fishing. The heaters have really come down in price and you can buy one for under $150 and they give you most everything you need in the kit to install it.
Pictures please!!! Would like to see those ducts and how it's mounted under hood.

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Pictures please!!! Would like to see those ducts and how it's mounted under hood.
Pictures

20181025 162019
20181025 162029 20180920 191739 20180920 191816

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Impressive! Now, could you please provide links where you bought that vent splitter?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you put the gas tank?

And where did you mount the accessory battery?

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Where did you put the gas tank?

And where did you mount the accessory battery?

I did not use the tank that came with the kit. I used a tank from my old pressure washer and put it up front above the winch. I added the second battery in the cargo tray on the back. It is a u1 lawn tractor battery.
20180920 191627

J

jason500

Jan 17, 2016
Montreal, Canada
Good job!

How did you route the heater exhaust and could you have fit a tank under the hood as well?

Last edited:
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Good job!

How did you route the heater exhaust and could you have fit a tank under the hood as well?

The exhaust runs out of the bottom of the heater and behind the fan and comes out by the left front tire. I made an extension to come out farther back. There is no room left over for the fuel tank under the hood. If I didn't have room above the winch I would of put it back on my cargo tray.

20181025 174051 20181025 174100

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
what model are the vents? Ebay as well?

Yes- Ebay. 60mm. They slip right in where the cup holders go and you add 3 small screws to hold them in. They take about 3 weeks to get here on the slow boat from China. One of the 2 vents came with the heater kit when I bought that.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!