P500 Diesel air heater for P500

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am ride in KY and WV so not a lot of brutal cold weather but still would like something. Instead of permanently mounting under hood looking at the portable version that is in a case and setting in bed and running hoses around rear soft window. Can get a single outlet or 4 outlet.
12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater 4 Holes All In 1 +LCD Thermostat For Trailer Truck Car | eBay
Good find , if you want ready to go one. I decided to enclose it into plastic , more durable case, but don't have termostat installed yet.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is how , I'm going to run my heater 717890100d0b48ea9dc8cd45d69bdedc

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Inside just one duct that goes under roof and points down above the window in the drive side. Was too dark to take a pic

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JollyJoker Would you mind sharing some links for your setup as well?
heater, remote etc.?

Thanks

Reactions: Biteme
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
@JollyJoker Would you mind sharing some links for your setup as well?
heater, remote etc.?

Thanks
I would start with a kit like this:
12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater 10L Tank LCD Switch Remote F/ Trucks Car Boat | eBay

There are so many to choose from on ebay and amazon. Just find yourself a kit that has:
3k to 5k
LCD controller
remote
2 outlets
"T" or "Y"

I would also suggest an upgraded glow plug like this:
252069011300 Glow Plug 12V Fit for Eberspacher Espar Airtronic Heater D2 D4 | eBay

As the Chinese ones are at about a 50% failure rate in the first few uses.
These parts take 3-4 weeks to get here on the boat from China.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Reactions: Biteme and Mudder
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would start with a kit like this:
12V 5KW Diesel Air Heater 10L Tank LCD Switch Remote F/ Trucks Car Boat | eBay

There are so many to choose from on ebay and amazon. Just find yourself a kit that has:
3k to 5k
LCD controller
remote
2 outlets
"T" or "Y"

I would also suggest an upgraded glow plug like this:
252069011300 Glow Plug 12V Fit for Eberspacher Espar Airtronic Heater D2 D4 | eBay

As the Chinese ones are at about a 50% failure rate in the first few uses.
These parts take 3-4 weeks to get here on the boat from China.

If you have any more questions, let me know.
Thanks,
I was not sure whether your remote was included in the kit, or you spec'd something else out.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@solrus
I saw some pictures you posted of hunting. Did the heater maintain a decent level of comfort? I just installed uppers on my 1000 on the weekend. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on this until you give a thumbs up.
Are you running the 3000 or 5000 watt unit?

My desire is to stay warm while snowplowing this winter. No hunting or super long trips. More than likely will fire up the heater while the machine is parked in my garage. Allowing it to warm the cab while the engine idles and gets some heat into it before pushing snow.

Reactions: Biteme and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@solrus
I saw some pictures you posted of hunting. Did the heater maintain a decent level of comfort? I just installed uppers on my 1000 on the weekend. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on this until you give a thumbs up.
Are you running the 3000 or 5000 watt unit?

My desire is to stay warm while snowplowing this winter. No hunting or super long trips. More than likely will fire up the heater while the machine is parked in my garage. Allowing it to warm the cab while the engine idles and gets some heat into it before pushing snow.
Go for 5 k unit, thousands thumbs up !!! :). Best and quick way to warm the butt. U can easily install coolant heater, since p1000 way faster warms up and if I remember correctly u have bypass valve installed so coolant already cones from the engine circuit.

But this diesel heater more cheaper and easier to install then coolant based.

P500 cabin it's a huge black hole that sucks warm air, despite this heater able to maintain warm temp.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
This seems like a great deal, I wonder how it would like living on the back rack in the rain?
(Never mind, they jacked up the price $400 on Ebay of the unit I linked too)

Anyway, it looks like they draw 9 amps at start up but then down to nearly nothing. Do you think it reall needs a second battery if the P5 is running all the time?

And, would it be worth bothering with if I have no windshield? All I do is crawl in the woods at low speed, I am thinking having this blow down my neck and over my head.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1. Since price is up, looks like they read this forum :)

2. I would cover burner air intake better then oem cover, or keep it in the cabin .

3. No need for a second battery (I use it only when stationary, so 2 nd battery is must)

4. If u crawl then you are ok, may be 1/2 windshield is better then no windshield at all. Depends how cold outside , minus 20 is a different story then plus 20 or above 40F.

The air flow is good enough.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, It is rare that I would ride much in cold weather, but they have one or two rides (Party's) a year that sound like fun but I don't like to go to the mailbox when it is below 20º (And I would not even go if it were below 10º). I would get a windshield, but in all seriousness that area is how I get out after a fall over.
In 5 years we move south but for under $200 I can see me using this for years to knock the chill off. I would build it in a case like yours or even a small cooler in case it rains.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, It is rare that I would ride much in cold weather, but they have one or two rides (Party's) a year that sound like fun but I don't like to go to the mailbox when it is below 20º (And I would not even go if it were below 10º). I would get a windshield, but in all seriousness that area is how I get out after a fall over.
In 5 years we move south but for under $200 I can see me using this for years to knock the chill off. I would build it in a case like yours or even a small cooler in case it rains.
Air burner intake, u can move on a side and have a pipe turn down , I would not stress about rain too much. Just move air intake and make it similar way as heater in take

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
The battery is on my back storage tray. I used a U1 battery. I put a 15 amp weatherproof fuse on it and used a 16 gauge 3 wire outdoor extension cord to run along the roll bar to the front storage area where I have the heater. I used all 3 wires as the battery cable to a Bosh type relay so that the heater runs on the back battery when the p5 is not running. As soon as you start the engine both batteries are charged. I ran the negative cable from the back battery to the main ground bolt on the frame by the battery box. Unless the key is on the rear battery is isolated. If you have any more questions just ask.
20190218 123217

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The battery is on my back storage tray. I used a U1 battery. I put a 15 amp weatherproof fuse on it and used a 16 gauge 3 wire outdoor extension cord to run along the roll bar to the front storage area where I have the heater. I used all 3 wires as the battery cable to a Bosh type relay so that the heater runs on the back battery when the p5 is not running. As soon as you start the engine both batteries are charged. I ran the negative cable from the back battery to the main ground bolt on the frame by the battery box. Unless the key is on the rear battery is isolated. If you have any more questions just ask. View attachment 109155
Could you please, show how u mounted your heater? Did u fabricate a plate?

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Could you please, show how u mounted your heater? Did u fabricate a plate?

I used the mounting plate that came with the heater. I drilled a couple of holes in it and used a longer bolt and 2 nuts for the front to go thru the radiator bracket. In the back I made a drop bracket that came off the square support at the rear.

20181025 162019

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!