P500 Diesel air heater for P500

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I was watching Ukrainian youtube channel about Nissan Leaf , and today they showed something that is portable and easy to install and has very good heat output. They used very small diesel air heater and install it into electric Nissian Leaf (that has lowest battery capacity among other EVs) to preserve battery in winter and heat car same time.

Since we all know that P500 does not have good heat output if connecting heaters into radiator circuit, unless you can fabricate bypass valve.

This is could be another option and could be turned into portable attach/deattach heater that you could use in your garage/van/tent/shop

Lets also compare pricing : to install conventional heater (proper way): heater ~ 370$, bypass valve ~ 100-150$ + installation fee, I think the final value could be up to 600-700$. BUT the result is mediocre heat

This heater Airtronic D2 is very compact - 12"x 4.5" x 4.8", has decent max heat output 2200 watt = 7500 btu/h which is guaranteed compare what really we get installing coolant type of heater . You might say that propane golf cart heater might work , I would not disagree except that its not very convenient, does not allow to direct the air on you windshield and so on. I use propane heater but mostly when we parked.

The price for this German made unit ~ 700$. , similar unit Planar 2D made in Russia - 500$ and few more other brands like VVKB heater

Here is few links
Airtronic D2 - AIRTRONIC D2 - Eberspächer

Planar 2D-12 - this is Russian made - https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Planar-Webasto-Airtronic-Eberspacher/dp/B01N11D7QJ?tag=sxsweb24-20

You can install it into front storage compartment or made a portable unit that you can plug/unplug into P500 or other units similar to this idea: -
or this -

Portable unit could be fitted into under hood storage area or just be carried on the rack.

View attachment 60906
What a bummer!!! Put together this beauty heater :), the pump was broken , hrrrrrrr. got a lemon pump

emailed back ebay seller, waiting ..........

View attachment 65593 View attachment 65594 View attachment 65595 View attachment 65596 View attachment 65597 View attachment 65598
We have used diesel heaters in the marine industry for years. Not a big fan.

Reactions: Biteme
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Snakeriver- Tell me why you are not a big fan. When you throw cold water on some thing and don't explain why and it is your first post, I have to ask. Thanks.
Welcome from Minnesota!

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
We have used diesel heaters in the marine industry for years. Not a big fan.
OK here ya go, they require that you must deal with a different fuel source which leads to extra fuel tanks, more weight, are a fire hazard when not handled properly, and at best they tend to be unreliable. With that said the larger more expensive units tend to work better, however they would be way to large to use in our sport as an onboard heating source.

J

jason500

Jan 17, 2016
Montreal, Canada
OK here ya go, they require that you must deal with a different fuel source which leads to extra fuel tanks, more weight, are a fire hazard when not handled properly, and at best they tend to be unreliable. With that said the larger more expensive units tend to work better, however they would be way to large to use in our sport as an onboard heating source.

Makes sense. In your opinion, what would be the best system to get some heat and windscreen defrost to the 500?

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to take so long to get back to this, I was gone for a few days. We have tried many different heating systems for use in our boats, we have found that the most dependable type of heating for our boats is hands down standard hot water style heaters. You already have the source of heat available, requires no real special equipment, and is cost effective. I just got a new P500 and my dealer, where I was the parts and service coordinator for 8 years, installed my system and it works just fine for me.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Without valve diverter using radiator coolant to heat the heater core takes long time and can use it while idling , just not enough hot.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
All I know is that last night I pushed the button on my remote in the house to start my heater and 10 min later when I went to get in my p500 ( it was in the high 30's outside) and start it, it was about 85 degrees in there. Too hot and had to turn the heater down when I went for a ride. My diesel air heater has worked flawlessly for me so far this season. I will update this thread if I run into any problem this winter. I went this route because I know Solrus spent alot of time and money trying very hard to get a coolant heater to work and was disappointed with any result he came up with.

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry to take so long to get back to this, I was gone for a few days. We have tried many different heating systems for use in our boats, we have found that the most dependable type of heating for our boats is hands down standard hot water style heaters. You already have the source of heat available, requires no real special equipment, and is cost effective. I just got a new P500 and my dealer, where I was the parts and service coordinator for 8 years, installed my system and it works just fine for me.
Pics...?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All I know is that last night I pushed the button on my remote in the house to start my heater and 10 min later when I went to get in my p500 ( it was in the high 30's outside) and start it, it was about 85 degrees in there. Too hot and had to turn the heater down when I went for a ride. My diesel air heater has worked flawlessly for me so far this season. I will update this thread if I run into any problem this winter.
Hey one thing I’ve thought about and why I haven’t done anything with ours yet is that I’ve been concerned with off road use the diesel bouncing around and getting air pockets. Has is ever shut off or been a problem?

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Hey one thing I’ve thought about and why I haven’t done anything with ours yet is that I’ve been concerned with off road use the diesel bouncing around and getting air pockets. Has is ever shut off or been a problem?
I have only had that problem once. That is when I ran the diesel tank out of fuel. After refilling I can push 2 buttons on my controller and the pump runs to reprimes the system and it starts again no problem.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I know is that last night I pushed the button on my remote in the house to start my heater and 10 min later when I went to get in my p500 ( it was in the high 30's outside) and start it, it was about 85 degrees in there. Too hot and had to turn the heater down when I went for a ride. My diesel air heater has worked flawlessly for me so far this season. I will update this thread if I run into any problem this winter. I went this route because I know Solrus spent alot of time and money trying very hard to get a coolant heater to work and was disappointed with any result he came up with.
EXACTLY!!! VERY MUCH MONEY AND A LOT OF TIME!!! THANKS

I've tried different heaters, ways of routing ducts, even was ready to order diverter valve from another forum member from Canada ( sorry friend, forgot nickname), tried electric heater, and after a year or two , watched video about Nissan Leaf and saw this diesel heater system that poor Ukrainian guys were trying to fit into green Nissan to warm their butts and save battery juice to drive more miles. Alleluia,I said and got this units that came DOA , hot another and finally made it work.

And JolyJoker is my follower :), who made it work , installed under hood and perfected ( remote and etc) .

I still gonna to use unit in the enclosed case , since don't want to give up storage space under hood and be able to take it to a tent or trailer and use it there.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I have used my heater so far with out any complaints with the amount of heat I am getting, with that said I may not be riding in an area that is as cold as yours. I do not spend any real time sitting in my unit just idling. Granted it is not 80 degrees in my side by side I am only looking for comfort, I would have normal cold weather base clothing on and looking to shed my outer coat etc.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In Montana, I choose diesel based heater, I use my coolant heater only for fall /spring , in the winter when we have strong winds and it's cold I need reliable high output heater that can be used while sitting and watching the game to show up. So its a matter of climate.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have used my heater so far with out any complaints with the amount of heat I am getting, with that said I may not be riding in an area that is as cold as yours. I do not spend any real time sitting in my unit just idling. Granted it is not 80 degrees in my side by side I am only looking for comfort, I would have normal cold weather base clothing on and looking to shed my outer coat etc.
Were plenty warm in the Pioneer but the Wolverine is cold and don’t plan on building an enclosure anytime soon. It does get brutally cold here especially 100 miles N just above Colville, last Xmas by the time we quit riding it was -20. That machine wasn’t used because of that. Adding a water heater is fairly easy on it but wouldn’t do anything at those temps without enclosure. Aux heat is the way to go

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I would say that is very logical, the best tool is the one that does the best job for you and your situation.
That is a solid statement!
Hey you’re not too far from us. Welcome neighbor.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
I picked out the unit, but my wife accessorized it for me. She put a cab on it, power steering, winch, plow, heater, hard top, and glass windshield with wiper, and heater. Glad to be here my cousin lives in Otis Orchards and has property just above Colville. Sorry did not mean to hijack this thread....

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Without valve diverter using radiator coolant to heat the heater core takes long time and can use it while idling , just not enough hot.

In Montana, I choose diesel based heater, I use my coolant heater only for fall /spring , in the winter when we have strong winds and it's cold I need reliable high output heater that can be used while sitting and watching the game to show up. So its a matter of climate.

I totally get what you are saying about taking awhile to heat up and if you plan on a lot of extended idling then there won't be much heat. But I found with my coolant heater build that I put in a couple months ago that as long as you are putting some work to the motor and are patient in letting it all heat up good, then there is quite of bit heat to be had. In cold climates you will still need to enclose the cab to capture the warmth. I guess it really does depend on your usage/climate.

I actually live in Post Falls, ID so CumminsPusher and Snakeriver, you guys are sorta local as well. Greetings.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@MarlinWalker

Post Falls in the house! Just over the border lol. It’s always nice to meet a local, always down to ride hit me up anytime!

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!