P500 Digital Volt meter

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
MICTUNING 4326593002 4.2A... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4OKBSB?tag=sxsweb24-20

I have purchased the above digital volt meter with the two USB ports. I figured for 10 or so bucks it cost it would be nice to have a volt meter in the P5. I am about to wire my superatv 3500 black ops winch up soon. I’m using the Honda accessory subharness for my key on power for the winch. Now this volt meter has a positive and negative prong off the back. My question is can I run the positive wire to one of the other pig tales off the accessory subharness and then run the negative to a ground near by or even just run the negative to the battery? Also is a small fuse say 10amp in-line fuse needed on this on the positive lead? Thanks

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
It is recommended.

So do I have it figured right to put an inline fuse on the positive lead from the meter to the Honda accessory subharness and run the negative to the battery or just ground it near by?

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it will work fine that way. I think some of the leads off the subharness have a ground paired with them.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So do I have it figured right to put an inline fuse on the positive lead from the meter to the Honda accessory subharness and run the negative to the battery or just ground it near by?
Fuse is good to have on the positive lead close to the source. Ground to the frame or battery, might be able to find something close by thats grounded to tie into.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it will work fine that way. I think some of the leads off the subharness have a ground paired with them.

Ok so I could just trial an error it with a pig tail till it comes up An is working I suppose? I have no idea which pig tales have the ground.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Fuse is good to have on the positive lead close to the source. Ground to the frame or battery, might be able to find something close by thats grounded to tie into.

I’ll see if I can ground it somewhere in there around the firewall. If there’s a good spot does the paint need to be sanded away in a tiny spot to make a sound connection?

Also this made me think about running my key on power from the winch solenoid to the subharness I guess it needs a inline fuse as well?

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Yes sand a bare spot for connection of ground.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Yes sand a bare spot for connection of ground.

Thanks. Now I’m wondering with this inline fuse for the volt meter the keyed on power for the winch should probably get an inline fuse as well which makes me think maybe I should look at a fuse block/panel like a blue sea or something since I do plan to maybe add a small front light bar and rear work light down the road?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks. Now I’m wondering with this inline fuse for the volt meter the keyed on power for the winch should probably get an inline fuse as well which makes me think maybe I should look at a fuse block/panel like a blue sea or something since I do plan to maybe add a small front light bar and rear work light down the road?
Both a fuse block and a ground bar next to each other are a nice addition, that also make all wiring easier, and neat and tidy. If you don’t start with that from the beginning, all wires run tight, zip tied and in split-loom, you’ll end up with a spaghetti mess like @nbomar has and you’ll never be able to work on anything in the future. :D:D

Reactions: Mudder
advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Both a fuse block and a ground bar next to each other are a nice addition, that also make all wiring easier, and neat and tidy. If you don’t start with that from the beginning, all wires run tight, zip tied and in split-loom, you’ll end up with a spaghetti mess like @nbomar has and you’ll never be able to work on anything in the future. :D:D
Fixed terminals are great, quick power and solid grounds for future add ons. Funny how true “it never ends” when talking about mods/additions. I just drilled a hole in the cross member and used a self tapping screw to secure ground lug.

Last edited:
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Always a bunch of haters... mine works. I did have a small issue recently, but @my99svt and me trouble shot it fairly quickly and had it all going again soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!