DirtRoadFabricators Tailgate for my Talon

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your experience was certainly different from mine. When I ordered the tailgate in January with a 14-week lead time, they did NOT require full payment up front. In fact, they didn't require ANY payment until they actually began fabricating my specific tailgate, at which time they called me and got my credit card number. I understand your frustration over missed delivery schedule, but in the current economic environment, I can't say that it surprises me. It does surprise me that you paid up front, however.

Steve
I wasn’t too surprised about paying up front although my past experiences with custom fab parts is 50% down and balance due when work is completed. Paying for shipping up front when the lead time was quoted 12-14 weeks seemed really weird - but the guy seems to have a good reputation so what are you gonna do? If there was a way to order one without paying everything up front I would have loved to do so.
I think I also paid full up front.
I need to check I guess.
Been 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Hopefully you don’t have to wait as long as I am.
It's frustrating I know, but definitely worth the wait.
Everyone says product is great - I guess my expectations were just way too high regarding them following their quoted schedule. My prior experiences with custom fab work (Dirty Deeds Industries and White Knuckle Off-Road both in southern CA) I have always had items ship exactly when promised(during Covid). I certainly expected the same when spending the $1,000 back in January. Hopefully I hear something soon.

Reactions: Squeegee
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When i ordered mine (online) i paid in full, was given a date and time to pick it up in person. It was ready, i couldn't make the trip so it shipped a couple of days later. A good experience for me, the lead time is a bad deal. Pretty sure if i was running this shop, prices would go up until i had a small inventory

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wasn’t too surprised about paying up front although my past experiences with custom fab parts is 50% down and balance due when work is completed. Paying for shipping up front when the lead time was quoted 12-14 weeks seemed really weird - but the guy seems to have a good reputation so what are you gonna do? If there was a way to order one without paying everything up front I would have loved to do so.

I'm fairly confident that DRF's willingness to wait for payment until they started fabrication of my specific unit was due to the fact that they had a huge backlog and knew they'd have no problem getting rid of it. I likely asked that they wait to bill until that time and was granted that wish. Probably isn't something they would advertise.

At any rate, I know you'll be knocked out by the finished product. Only wish you'd had a better experience thus far.

Steve

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the follow-up since I decided to cry in this thread - received notification today the rack is back from powdercoat and being shipped - exactly 19 weeks after it was paid for. It should be here next week and hopefully I’ll confirm it’s as great as everyone says.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is the follow-up since I decided to cry in this thread - received notification today the rack is back from powdercoat and being shipped - exactly 19 weeks after it was paid for. It should be here next week and hopefully I’ll confirm it’s as great as everyone says.

Great news! You'll love it. Sorry you've had to deal with the delays.

Steve

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok - one of us is dumb. Why does it look like the RotoPax mount uses 4 bolts to secure it but the plate to bolt it to only has two holes?

925C393E 032D 4D5A 9302 525E7186FE85

8DCC0046 9B38 4C6F BA97 58E24E43495C

• Wow
Reactions: Squeegee
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok - one of us is dumb. Why does it look like the RotoPax mount uses 4 bolts to secure it but the plate to bolt it to only has two holes?

View attachment 338403
View attachment 338404
There are only two holding mine on also. My two holes are near the top, right under the cross tube, I almost had clearance problems getting the nuts to fit but figured it out - you won't have that 'problem'.

Reactions: stellarpod
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

View attachment 338403
View attachment 338404

I believe the baseplate isn't used to mount the RotoPax cans, or it's an option via just the 2 holes. See if those 2 holes line up with the back of the extended piece.

Here's how I mounted mine... it's bolted from the other side directly into the threaded holes in the mount.

IMG 20220612 083724691 HDR XL

Reactions: stellarpod and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe the baseplate isn't used to mount the RotoPax cans, or it's an option via just the 2 holes. See if those 2 holes line up with the back of the extended piece.

Here's how I mounted mine... it's bolted from the other side directly into the threaded holes in the mount.

View attachment 338495
Thanks for the pic, Steve. I remembered that I had some sort of problem but when I went out to look, I couldn't really see behind the spare and assumed I had problems getting nuts to fit because they were so tight to the cross tube. More likely I had to oval the holes just a bit to get the bolts into their holes. 👍 It's been well over a year and I'm sure I mounted mine like yours, without the baseplate.

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 338495
Thanks Steve. To their credit, they sent an email stating what you’ve said. The problem with their choice in doing this is it removes the designed offset of about .75” so now the support notch of the t-handle barely reaches into the designed recess of the fuel can for support so it is more clamped on than riding as it’s supposed to IMO. In other words the back side of the gas can contacts the mounting surface too soon without the offset. Not sure why they would sell a mount then tell you to throw the engineered plate it comes with in the garbage and run it with no offset.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Steve. To their credit, they sent an email stating what you’ve said. The problem with their choice in doing this is it removes the designed offset of about .75” so now the support notch of the t-handle barely reaches into the designed recess of the fuel can for support so it is more clamped on than riding as it’s supposed to IMO. In other words the back side of the gas can contacts the mounting surface too soon without the offset. Not sure why they would sell a mount then tell you to throw the engineered plate it comes with in the garbage and run it with no offset.
Because that's the way RotoPax says it can be used...

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

View attachment 338500

This ^^^

The Rotopax mount is universal and therefore includes pieces/parts that aren't always necessary. Mine mounted with two bolts perfectly. I'm not sure I understand the "it removes the designed offset of about .75” so now the support notch of the t-handle barely reaches into the designed recess of the fuel can for support" statement. Perhaps it's just me, but could you clarify, @AZBoatHauler please?

Steve

Reactions: CID
A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1F49B2A5 A5FC 4CBC 99A7 BDE03AEB1D7E

See pic below. Tell me how this is better than using the mounting plate to get more support? Drill two holes and that support piece is where it should be. Unused mounting bolt inserted to show how buried the support is… it will be awesome falling off as you unscrew it.

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 338500
And when you read the website description, it talks about “through the bottom” and “through the top” when not using the baseplate indicating a horizontal application not a vertical application like this where the center support counteracts gravity. When going “through the side” it would make sense to use the plate for the reason stated above in the last two posts.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Maybe try flipping the rotopax over? I use the fuelpax, the offset is different on the front vs the back. Would expect the rotopax to be the same

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe try flipping the rotopax over? I use the fuelpax, the offset is different on the front vs the back. Would expect the rotopax to be the same
It definitely is directional and on the right way. There is slope/angle built in to the gas can recess which is why you’d want to use the plate to cover as much as possible but what do I know.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
View attachment 338518
Tell me how this is better than using the mounting plate to get more support? Unused mounting bolt inserted to show how buried the support is…

That looks exactly like mine and I have ZERO problems with it. I've attached pictures of my 2 gal. water can mounted on my DRF tailgate. I've also attached pics of my 2 gal. fuel can mounted on another manufacturer's mount (RB3 perhaps?) and you'll notice that it's the same as well. If you want to drill holes to accommodate the [unnecessary] mounting plate with 4 bolts then knock yourself out. If it gives you a further level of confidence in the mount then by all means, go for it. I don't have any such concerns and I've put a fair amount of miles on these mounts with full cans and have had no problems.

IMG 2185
IMG 2186

IMG 2187
IMG 2188

Steve

Reactions: CID
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
And when you read the website description, it talks about “through the bottom” and “through the top” when not using the baseplate indicating a horizontal application not a vertical application like this where the center support counteracts gravity. When going “through the side” it would make sense to use the plate for the reason stated above in the last two posts.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with this one. Installing the baseplate only adds a relatively thin piece of sheet steel to the whole affair. The center oblong post that protrudes into the fuel can is supporting the entire weight, whether using the stamped steel baseplate or not. Arguably, mounting the post directly to heavier steel (in this case the DRF tailgate) actually supports the post better than the sheet metal possibly could. To illustrate this, imagine a heavy blow applied to the side of the post with the baseplate installed, thereby imparting a severe shear load. It will likely bend the sheet metal where it is bolted to the post.

Steve

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

Which mount do you have?

Standard

ET1 3159

Or DLX?

ET1 3135

If I'm understanding the issue, maybe the DLX mount will fix the problem? I had a mounting issue with the less expensive FuelPax container (blow molded design) vs the RotoPax (rotational molded design) as it wouldn't secure nearly as well with the FuelPax. The DLX design has more surface area to support the weight of a full can. I'm up in Pine right now for a few days, I can bring the DLX mount back with me to the Valley if you're interested in seeing if will solve your problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!