CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Speaking of the Standard and DLX knobs - I started with the Standard as it came with the Rotopax DRF sourced (that way I knew it would fit, nothing to do with the mount though).

The problem I had with the Standard was it has to 'turn over' the built in plastic 'stop bumps' but they're so pronounced that I couldn't cinch the Rotopax down without a large Channel Locks and I still didn't feel I got a good, tight fit. Just recently (and probably in this thread), I learned about the DLX and ordered it. I installed it today and, boy howdy, you can get that puppy as tight as you want. I gave the threads a shot of WD-40 before assembly and that probably helped.

The DLX still uses the stop bumps but they're engaged by the lower of the two handles (which is free spinning). The upper handle has smaller lock bumps that engage with the lower handle - since they're smaller, you can crank down as tight as you want. I'm very happy with the new setup.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Oh.. what is this.
Ordered Jan 25th. E7e5365ff835a2949f68609f02da7914

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
@Dirt-roadfab

Just wanted to drop you a note to say how impressed I am with this tailgate. You guys really knocked it out of the park! You're welcome to use any of the pics I've posted in this thread in your website gallery if you'd like.

Steve

Desmo

Desmo

Dec 27, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have had my DRF end gate installed for a couple of months now and I love it. Everything is tight like the day I installed it. No rattles. Yes, it was rather "spendy" but it is top quality in my estimation. Wish I had bit the bullet and ordered it sooner. Installation was easy; did it by myself with no hoists or anything. Everything lined up nicely and fit perfectly. I don't know what the lead times are like now but I ordered mine April 30 and it arrived around Sep 1.

PXL 20221202 221408799 PXL 20221202 221456267 PXL 20221202 221542804

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have had my DRF end gate installed for a couple of months now and I love it. Everything is tight like the day I installed it. No rattles. Yes, it was rather "spendy" but it is top quality in my estimation. Wish I had bit the bullet and ordered it sooner. Installation was easy; did it by myself with no hoists or anything. Everything lined up nicely and fit perfectly. I don't know what the lead times are like now but I ordered mine April 30 and it arrived around Sep 1.

View attachment 366321 View attachment 366322 View attachment 366323
I ordered mine at the end of August. I called DRF this week to see what the status is. They told me it was at the powder coater and would ship next week. Looking forward to putting mine on as well. I get the lead times. Its so hard to get people to work!

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
For those that have the DRF bed extender and spare tire mount, does the spare tire stick out too far for you? Maybe I need to see it in person, but from the many pics I've seen, the tire is WAY out there. I wish they also sold one without the extender that keeps the tire tight up to the back.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@adudes That rearward location helps the Talon's rear suspension work 'better'.

My thread on the DRF -

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
For those that have the DRF bed extender and spare tire mount, does the spare tire stick out too far for you? Maybe I need to see it in person, but from the many pics I've seen, the tire is WAY out there. I wish they also sold one without the extender that keeps the tire tight up to the back.

I had similar concerns before placing my order. But honestly, I think the machine looks much better with the tailgate and the mounted spare. I had mine fabricated with the mount low rather than high. It gives me a clearer view in the rear view mirror, and it is still high enough to afford plenty of clearance for the kind of riding we do.

IMG 2084

Steve

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I thought the same when I first considered buying this, but once installed, it isn't a concern. I just did a close inspection of the welds/powdercoat around the tire mount, no signs of cracking or flexing. This is way strong, perhaps even over-engineered, but that's a good thing. I chose the high tire mount mainly to keep from covering the license plate and I use side view, not rear view mirrors.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I thought the same when I first considered buying this, but once installed, it isn't a concern. I just did a close inspection of the welds/powdercoat around the tire mount, no signs of cracking or flexing. This is way strong, perhaps even over-engineered, but that's a good thing. I chose the high tire mount mainly to keep from covering the license plate and I use side view, not rear view mirrors.

Yes, my low mount does partially cover the license plate. I've intended to lower the plate a bit, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Steve

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I 2nd the lower position..... I got mine with it in the upper position & wish now I would've opted for the lower, we dont have license plate in da Mitten

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just zip tied my license plate to the spare tireView attachment 366994

I've considered doing this, but my Talon is street-legal which requires a tag light for night travel. Easier just to lower the tag a bit. Honestly, I've driven on the street numerous times, with the tag in its currently partially-obstructed position without ever being hassled about the tag not being clearly visible.

Steve

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone used this with a KFI receiver hitch?

Yes, requires notching out a part of the KFI to make room for the support tubes. My buddy did it for me when he reinforced my rear frame, I think he may have had it upside down when he measured before cutting, no biggie.
The Dragon Fire hitch receiver fits with the DRF Tailgate Extender but the KFI is far more robust in construction, that's why I had it modified to work with the DRF.

IMG 20211122 112650270 HDR X2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!