DirtRoadFabricators Tailgate for my Talon

Desmo

Desmo

Dec 27, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The long wait is over! My DRF Tailgate arrived today, complete with spare wheel/tire mount and Rotopax mount and 2 gal. white water container. The tailgate was wrapped in a new moving blanket and then shrink-wrapped with the fastening hardware and Rotopax nested inside. All in all, it was well protected. Here's a few shots of the unwrapped unit sitting on the tailgate of my truck pre-installation.

View attachment 331571 View attachment 331572

Mounting was pretty straightforward. There was a bit of futzing to get the back half of the clamps positioned on the roll cage. It required loosening the inside bed wall and prying it away from the cage but was no big deal. I opted for the option to brace against my Honda factory steel bumper. There was nothing in the instructions that addressed this. But if you're at all mechanically inclined it should present no real problem. Here are a few shots of the tailgate mounted with the Rotopax in place. Some of the shots have no spare mounted, some do. (the spare is just one of my stock front wheels/tires, as I haven't purchased another beadlock and Tensor Regulator tire yet)

View attachment 331609 View attachment 331610

View attachment 331576

I am absolutely knocked out by the build quality of this tailgate. Welds are extremely well-done. Powder coating is top notch. I love that it swings open and I love the expanded steel bottom which affords more storage space. The spare mount is nice too. Yes, it's expensive and the lead-time is long. But, trust me, it's worth the wait (and the money). This substantially increases my carrying capacity, which is exactly what I was looking for. Little by little I'm getting this unit ready for some Arizona backcountry fun in late October. The Rotopax fuel cells I show mounted are only 1 gal. each, as they came off of my Yamaha Grizzly. I've got new 2 gal. units arriving Thursday, which will give me a total of 11+ gallons available on the trail (well over 200 miles worth). Eventually, I'll buy another beadlock and Tensor for the spare, but it's going to have to wait until my bank account heals up a little.

BOTTOM LINE: DirtRoadFabrication.com - Highly impressed. Would buy again. Highly recommend.

Steve
Looks great! How do you find the view of your license plate is with the low spare mount? I have ordered one with the low spare mount but I'm concerned it will block the view of the license plate (would rather not move it). I prefer to keep the weight as low as possible and I am also concerned the high mount will block my rearview from the driver's seat. Any insights appreciated.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is the view with the high mount. What looks like a YUGE rear view mirror is my Factory UTV over bed spare. It doesn't look like the high mount will interfere with a rear-view mirror very much but that's debatable and the FUTV mount eliminates me using a rear view anyway. Two spares because I'm usually solo in the desert backcountry, maybe I'll never need them but ... - and there's always a but in life.
I MfcJ6G3 XL

A pretty good idea of my departure angle which was my biggest concern when I ordered. I'm don't think the low mount was even available when I ordered mine.
I Jx63374 XL

I hJ4HgWf XL

A loooooong way from Nowhere. Parked on the edge, a passenger couldn't have gotten out. :eek: That's the Bonneville Salt Flats.
I WXNBMqT XL

Desmo

Desmo

Dec 27, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is the view with the high mount. What looks like a YUGE rear view mirror is my Factory UTV over bed spare. It doesn't look like the high mount will interfere with a rear-view mirror very much but that's debatable and the FUTV mount eliminates me using a rear view anyway. Two spares because I'm usually solo in the desert backcountry, maybe I'll never need them but ... - and there's always a but in life.
View attachment 333069

A pretty good idea of my departure angle which was my biggest concern when I ordered. I'm don't think the low mount was even available when I ordered mine.
View attachment 333070

View attachment 333071

A loooooong way from Nowhere. Parked on the edge, a passenger couldn't have gotten out. :eek: That's the Bonneville Salt Flats.
View attachment 333072
Excellent photos. Thanks. The view through the cab gives me a good idea that I could get away with the high spare mount and still use my internal rearview mirror (at least somewhat). And clearly my license plate can stay where it is. And I like the improved departure angle. My DRF tailgate is many many weeks away yet so I think I am going to ask them to switch mine to a high spare mount.

Reactions: CID
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looks great! How do you find the view of your license plate is with the low spare mount? I have ordered one with the low spare mount but I'm concerned it will block the view of the license plate (would rather not move it). I prefer to keep the weight as low as possible and I am also concerned the high mount will block my rearview from the driver's seat. Any insights appreciated.

Excellent question. The license plate is indeed at least partially blocked by the spare. I'm probably going to have to relocate it (and the light) down a bit to satisfy the local law enforcement. But that shouldn't be a big deal. My decision to go with the low mount was based on the pics that CID posted of his and a friend's versions, one high and one low. I don't believe the low mount constitutes any real concern from a departure angle standpoint. AND, although I was concerned about how the Talon would look with the extended tailgate and a large spare hanging off the back, honestly, I believe it looks much better. It really balances the machine which to my eye looked chopped off in the back without it. But that's purely subjective. I'm sure others will disagree.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased.

Steve

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Excellent question. The license plate is indeed at least partially blocked by the spare. I'm probably going to have to relocate it (and the light) down a bit to satisfy the law enforcement. But that shouldn't be a big deal. My decision to go with the low mount was based on the pics that CID posted of his and a friend's versions, one high and one low. I don't believe the low mount constitutes any real concern from a departure angle standpoint. AND, although I was concerned about how the Talon would look with the extended tailgate and a large spare hanging off the back, honestly, I believe it looks much better. It really balances the machine which to my eye looked chopped off in the back without it. But that's purely subjective. I'm sure others will disagree.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased.

Steve
I had forgotten that the other Steve had posted up those low mount comparison pics in another thread. I don't remember where that was though. 🤔

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
@Desmo, here's a couple of current pics. I just got my beadlock/Tensor spare mounted today. You can see the tag peeking out from under the spare on the second shot.

IMG 2084

IMG 2085

Steve

W

Wilson1

Mar 25, 2020
Salt Lake City Ut
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ordered mine in Dec, got it last month. Worth the wait. I went to their place to pick it up in Morgan Ut. Jared is a great guy. I wouldn't get the floor if I was you. If you put a cooler on it, it will scuff it up. Don't really need it. I have a roof rack on mine and there isn't a company making one for a decent price specifically for a Talon. I bought a universal roof rack from Bad Dawg Fab. It fits fine with some mods to the mounts. If you are handy, you can use the stock mounts, build some extensions and it will bolt right onto the roof mounts which are on roll bar. The front mounts are in the right place but you do have to drill a couple of holes in the rack back mounts. I am happy with it.

Reactions: Desmo and CID
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
...I wouldn't get the floor if I was you. If you put a cooler on it, it will scuff it up. Don't really need it...

I'd respectfully disagree. I'm looking to maximize cargo carrying area and the expanded steel floor on the tailgate accomplishes that. As far as "scuff" is concerned, I'm no more concerned about scuffing the floor of the tailgate than I am the plastic of the stock cargo area. OR, if you meant it will scuff the cooler, that's no concern to me either.

Regardless, to each their own. I am glad you like the tailgate. I sure like mine. And I agree wholeheartedly regarding Jared being a great guy.

Steve

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered mine in January and am still waiting. Was told it would be done a month ago… 😠

• Wow
Reactions: stellarpod
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ordered mine in January and am still waiting. Was told it would be done a month ago… 😠
DRF has no control over supply issues. I ordered mine well over a year ago and he was having supply problems then, it's much worse now. As conscientious as Jared is, I'd bet he's pulling his hair out being unable to source materials. I'll only say that elections have consequences - FJB. :mad:

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I found one of them for sale for a good price. I would of been interested if it wasn't in AZ and I'm in Ohio. :(

Reactions: CID and stellarpod
A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DRF has no control over supply issues. I ordered mine well over a year ago and he was having supply problems then, it's much worse now. As conscientious as Jared is, I'd bet he's pulling his hair out being unable to source materials. I'll only say that elections have consequences - FJB. :mad:
I have no doubt there are supply issues - but when you quote a time and charge 100% + shipping cost up front - I’d hope you could come remotely close to your promised date.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have no doubt there are supply issues - but when you quote a time and charge 100% + shipping cost up front - I’d hope you could come remotely close to your promised date.
Your experience was certainly different from mine. When I ordered the tailgate in January with a 14-week lead time, they did NOT require full payment up front. In fact, they didn't require ANY payment until they actually began fabricating my specific tailgate, at which time they called me and got my credit card number. I understand your frustration over missed delivery schedule, but in the current economic environment, I can't say that it surprises me. It does surprise me that you paid up front, however.

Steve

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think I also paid full up front.
I need to check I guess.
Been 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZBoatHauler
TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I paid 14 weeks later when I picked mine up. Was a pleasure seeing the shop and getting to talk with Jared. Oh yeah, and the thing is absolutely first rate!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!